Help

Kindergarten

"Grading" and gradebooks in Kdg

>

NYteacherNmom

"Grading" and gradebooks in Kdg
Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, so this is my first year in Kdg after 8 years in between 3-4-5... so forgive me if this is a silly question, but I feel like I am a new teacher again!

How is your gradebook set up for kindergarten? Do you even have one? What do you actually grade, if anything? I know its not like I will take every task they do and put a percentage on it, so how does this actually work? I am thinking more rubric based for a few items throughout the year, but honestly I have no clue.

How then, do you have your gradebook set up?

I'm at a loss here, so I appreciate any insight!

NYteacherNmom is offline   Reply With Quote

KTeach_IN

No gradebook
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not have a gradebook. I have checklists of skills. Letters, sounds, numbers, shapes, sight words, other skills that are on our report card.
KTeach_IN is offline   Reply With Quote

whteacher

Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No grade book for me either. I bet you are kinda happy about that!!!

Assessment checklists are done at certain times of the year (before conferences with parents, before progress reports).
whteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

vacation

Class list and checklist
Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, no grade books anymore. I spent many years in intermediate before coming down to K. I do have an assessment binder though and it is very thick. I also have a class list and down each column it may have uppercase lettters, lowercase letters, sounds, sight words. I have one similar for math with the learning outcomes that I teach.
vacation is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

Ours is just for marking attendance.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Other than that, I use mine for keeping track of homework returned, notes returned, etc. Because so much is about assessments, I have a reading section that I will put one score in for each quarter after assessments are tallied and a percentage of acquired skills is given. This helps during conference time, and we actually assigned points to our quarterly checklist to give parents a grade-like equivalent.

pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

halleyjw

Checklists
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I make a checklist of the skills we will work on & assess each nine weeks and keep track that way.
halleyjw is offline   Reply With Quote

tensyar

i have had letter and number grade books in k
Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would grade class work, spelling tests, math quiz and tests, phonics, running records, comprehension quizes, fill in the blank tests, science tests, teacher observations, and participation grades.
tensyar is offline   Reply With Quote

annreader

Jmc
Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi,
We are just now using JMC for report card and grading purposes in K (scary) from what I understand we can enter our assessments into it so we can get printouts for parents. I am excited to use it, I will keep you posted when I get into it next month
annreader is offline   Reply With Quote

Lologyrl

Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had this question too. I'm coming from 6 years of teaching pre-k so I'm not used to grading. I was thinking I should break down percentages for each subject. Like 50% tests, 25% classwork, 15% homework and 10% participation. Or is that too much for K? we use the Imagine it reading curriculum and Go math in Florida. The teacher who had the grade before me sasy she pulled the grades striaght from the curriculum assessments and benchmark tests and that was it. Should I not give a grade for homework or classwork then?
Lologyrl is offline   Reply With Quote

djinkcmo

binder notebook
Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I didn't use a gradebook when I was switched into K last year; I did lots of little checklists (just class rosters cut into strips like grocery lists w/a little room to mark something by each name and a skill title at the top), then transferred data from all my little lists onto a roster grid record sheet (Excel page) by hand for imputing the marks for grade cards each quarter (our district uses Infinite Campus computerized grades program). I also had various regular-sized pages for alpha recognition, etc., that I kept clipped together in a pocket folder. I turned in the record sheets (some w/the lists attached) as my "grade book". This year I'm going to do what a colleague does: create a record notebook using a 3-ring binder and post-its as tabs for each student, then hole-punch and file each student's papers by name. I'll still probably do the quarterly record sheets because it expedites entering the grades into the computer program, but a binder with some pockets and post-its would keep it so much better organized!

djinkcmo is offline   Reply With Quote