Help

Gifted Education

Won't work on projects

>

fahajj

Won't work on projects
Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are doing an inclusion model for AIG. Student who are AIG or need enrichment were allowed to choose their topic and project to work on. They chose things like monkeys and karate. How do I get them to work on their projects when they have extra time in class? Some of them are choosing to read and some are making things out of paper?

fahajj is offline   Reply With Quote

Deer01

Just a thought
Old 09-11-2011, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Personally speaking, my kids need a lot of modeling. If there is a project I want them to do, I need to explain to them in baby steps how to do it. I teach K-1 and last year year I taught K -2.

What type of projects is the district expecting? Are they looking for science and social studies projects? If so, this is one book that I highly recommend -- Research without Copying for Primary Grades from Pieces of learning.
Deer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Maybe it's just me...
Old 09-11-2011, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but my thought would be.. stop giving them a choice. Have a set time when they are required to work on their project, whether it's doing the research or creating the end product, that time can not be used for reading and/or origami...

When I was self-contained my students would tell me "I'm done".. I told them, "you're never done... you have research, product, independent reading log... there is no done, there is no extra time, you have work to do... do it." .

Of course, I was working with fifth and sixth graders... so I guess if yours are under third or fourth grade, that's probably not the best solution.

I would agree with Research Without Copying - I attended Dr. Polette's training last fall, and it's AWESOME!!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

"Mrs. Gorf"

Old 09-11-2011, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You definitely need to outline your expectations before they begin. A rubric to go along with the expectations/contract should also include a work component. I have found that even though they are highly intelligent, they don't always know how to use their time wisely.
"Mrs. Gorf" is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Rubric
Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree.. and I always give my kids the rubric when I give them the assignment, so they know exactly what is expected!

Also, another thing we are starting this year, writing goals. Exactly what do we want to get done during this time. With a self-contained class, that would be even easier, because you can set goals for the week. I had a mentor who used to have her students write their goals for the week (approved by her - so reasonable goals), and IF they could meet the goals by Thursday afternoon, they had time to do whatever they wanted on Friday (school related). Example, some were writing a novel, so they got an hour to work on their novel. Or a few were learning to play chess, so those two got an hour to sit and play chess during the day. She said you'd be amazed how much more they can do in FOUR days than FIVE when there's a goal THEY want at the end..

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote