Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

4 year old help

>

teach126x

4 year old help
Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to teach a mock lesson to 4 year olds on Friday. I do not know the first thing about them or what to teach to them. Can anyone please give me some insight, advice, or suggestions. Thank you!

teach126x is offline   Reply With Quote

jap

Need a bit more info
Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love to help but I need a little more information. Why you are doing a mock lesson? Is it an interview or school project etc... How many children will there be? What is the timeframe (15-20 minutes or all day etc..)
jap is offline   Reply With Quote

teach126x

Old 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is for an interview. I am used to older students. I am trying to obtain more information but have not been able to get a hold of the administrator. I do know it has to be 25-30 minutes long. That is all I know so far. I hope she gets back to me soon.
teach126x is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would try to do something fairly simple and straightforward. You could read a book and then do a simple activity. One of the books that my preschoolers like is called Caps for Sale. It should be available at any library. It's about a man who sells caps. He carries them on his head in a big stack and goes from town to town. Some monkeys take his caps while he is napping and the story is about how he gets the caps back. This story holds the kids' interest. When we are done reading, I take a bunch of bean bags that we pretend are hats and we see how many each child can balance on his head before they fall. We do this one at a time and everyone counts. The kids love this. You could even make a simple graph on the board showing how many "hats" each child balanced on their head - getting a little cross curricular math in the mix. To end the lesson you could teach them the Five Little Monkeys rhyme.

I would make sure that they provide some name tags for the children. At the preschool age this helps so much with being able to manage behavior. Good luck. I hope your lesson goes well.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwilemon

Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Read If You Take a Mouse to School. Have the kids tell their favorite part. Tell your favorite part (your favorite part will be when they make the volcano). Bring a premade volcano and have the kids take turns making it errupt. (food coloring and baking soda and vinegar).

Find a poem by a famous author like Shel Silverstein, Jack Prelutsky, etc. Write it on chart paper. Read it with the kids. Have them come up with motions for each line to act it out. Then do a simple craft to go with it. I did the polar bear poem by Shel Silverstein. Kids came up with cute movements, and learned new vocab. Then we made polar bear puppets with paper bags. It was simple, cute and fun. It can be adapted to any childrens poem.

kiwilemon is offline   Reply With Quote