Help

Kindergarten

"jealous boyfriend" syndrome

>

Tmteach00

"jealous boyfriend" syndrome
Old 09-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching K. I have a child in my classroom who has behavior issues. At times, he's like a jealous boyfriend! He doesn't want me to call on other students, wants to do all the jobs for me in the classroom, etc, etc. He also has a very short attention span. Circle time is very difficult. If i don't call on him, he resorts to a crying fit, will crawl under the table or will get up and go hide in the corner. I try my best to ignore him, not to give into him. But I don't want the other children to think this is ok, and start imitating his behaviors.

I do have the stop light system in my room. If I move his card, he starts screaming and yelling, blah, blah, blah. He has no problem telling me NO!

Any suggestions? I am just at a loss. I feel like all my energy is concentrated on managing his behaviors, and not paying full attention to the rest of my class. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Tmteach00 is offline   Reply With Quote

pianowoman41

Have you tried doing something really fun
Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

with the students who "are" on task? I think ignoring him and going ahead with a fun activity with the rest of the students, as hard as it may be, is the way to go. I usually find a way to brag on the students who are working hard by throwing in a fun music and movement activity just at the right time. We ignore the other child, and the "positive noise" overshadows the negative noise the child is making. When this little guy sees that you are indifferent to his demands, that you only reward positive, pro-community behavior, he will begin to rethink his actions. I would almost bet that he is allowed to run his household the way he is trying to gain your attention. I have done this with students for several years, and it eventually works. Also, if you have a good relationship with your fellow k-team, you might try removing him to someone else's time-out area in their room so that he is reminded that you and the class choose not to have his negative behavior in your classroom community at all. My friend across the hall is wonderful about helping me out with kids like this, and I return the favor at times too. I always tell these children they may ask for permission to join our group when they are ready to learn and follow the rules like everyone else. I feel sorry for children who have been allowed to bully their way to get what they want. It is a tough lesson, but worth persevering to help those students who need an attitude change. This is my approach. I know there are others who have a different way of handling the situation. I am fortunate to work in a school where my principal is very supportive. He will remove a student for a while when the behavior is so disruptive we cannot carry on with class.
pianowoman41 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaestraM

Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about taking pictures of the way you want him to behave and showing him this book really quickly. Tell him that you want him to be like the kids in the picture (sitting criss-cross or raising hand, etc). Then give stickers or attention when he does it right. Ignore bad behavior of course and give the child choice. It looks like he is struggling for attention and control and he really does need the attention but it has to be positive and the control can be achieved by giving him choice.
MaestraM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tmteach00

thank you!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your advice. I am trying my best to ignore his behaviors. He is ABSOLUTELY allowed to run his household this way at home. Yesterday was a little better, and today is his birthday, so I am hoping for a good day from him :-)
Tmteach00 is offline   Reply With Quote