Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

3's Preschool class -what do you do?

>

peaceout

3's Preschool class -what do you do?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a 3 year old program two days a week for 3 hours.

I know in my heart of hearts what's developmentally appropriate for my students. However, the parents struggle with the fact that 3's is more social and the 4's is more academic to get them ready for Kindergarten. They just don't get the fact that the students are learning through play in our carefully orchestrated learning areas that we spend tons of time changing and working on for the students. In fact the comments can be down right mean.

Anyhoo -
What does your day look like? What's on the table when they walk in? How much free choice time do you allow for the students? What do your center/table tops look like that you set out during that time. Do you do small groups (HighScope - Creative curriculum) ? What do you do during circle time and how long does it last? Anything else you can add or address would be awesome. I want to hear all the options.

Thank you!

peaceout is offline   Reply With Quote

CowTipper22

Old 11-10-2011, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When they come in I would have set activities for them at tables. Maybe shaving cream, finger painting, coloring. Something quiet to get them settled in.

Then I would have circle. Circle needs to be shorter than with the fours. Probably 20 minutes. I wouldn't bother with calendar since it can be confusing to a 3 and some say not to even do it with the four year olds. (I do do it with 4's though).

At circle time I would say good morning to everyone with some type of greeting, most likely a song. I would sing several songs. Many times we would sing the same songs over and over because they need that repetition. I would also play some short games or do dancing.

After circle I would go outside, centers and snack in any order you like. I would use the same materials that I would use with the fours so they can get used to them so that the following year they would be ready to move on and do more challenging things.
CowTipper22 is offline   Reply With Quote

ssgodin

Old 11-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also have a 3's class and our school is play based. I would find a article on play to send home. I attached my schedule.

Circle time is very short. I do a calendar, we mostly use it to make a pattern and to read from left to right. I do a 100 day poster where we put up a color fish everyday. When we get 10 of the same color we put up a big fish. When we get all 10 colors we will have a color party! Then I do a theme book/song/felt boeard/activity that goes with what we are doing in small groups

Small groups is three groups with four children in each group. One table is usually a themed craft, the second is a more "academic" activity, and the third is usually a sensory table activity.
Attached Files
File Type: doc class schedules 2011.doc (25.5 KB, 30 views)
ssgodin is offline   Reply With Quote