Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

'Communication'

>

harminygrits

'Communication'
Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have had a situation regarding 'communication' with a parent that is really bothering me! I teach in a childcare center and have 24 children between the ages of 4 and 5. It is REALLY difficult to 'teach' where I am (my opinion) because there are so many inconsistencies regarding shifting children--having a coteacher that doesn't really like 'teaching' or says "I don't believe in that" when discussing philosophies etc...I'm pretty much on my own if I have an issue that I hope to improve regarding development or strategy. I have to add that I am a perfectionist-TypeA personality AND I'm completing an internship this semester for B-K education. Next semester I will student teach in my own classroom for the NC B-K teaching license. So, I am trying really hard to make my class the best it can be. I am trying to do the best job I can with my strategies and curriculum--I don't want to be a crappy teacher! So, with 24 children that are dropped off at daycare between 6:30 am and picked up by 6:00 I do not have the ability to speak directly to each parent. Well--I type up memos and bulletins and always post information on my parent-communication board but had one parent complain about my communication for our Halloween parade. It is REALLY bothering me bc I feel that I go out of my way for the parents in my room (way more than other teachers in this place I know that)--I even gave these people my personal # in case they had a question or concern when I am not there (that was a mistake by the way lol). Well the situation I'm speaking of involved a parent that drops a child off anywhere between 10-11 daily--usually dad drops off sometimes its mom. Anyway, for our Halloween parade children had to be dressed and ready to go by 9:45. I had a BIG note posted on my board right beside of the pen parents have to pick up to sign their children in/out a week in advance. There was also a note posted on each door entering/exiting right at eye-level. Well, this parent is also friends with myself and other teachers and she posted that No one told her about the parade--I responded that I have had a note posted on my board for a week-she then responded that she didn't need a post she needed communication. That really got my blood boiling actually b/c it seems as if she doesn't appreciate exactly what I am doing for her as a 'daycare' teacher. I post bulletins regularly discussing developmental goals and academic goals we are working--I make take home materials for letters/sounds, sightwords, numbers/counting, and I am making a digital portfolio for my kids none of which is REQUIRED--I buy almost all of my supplies for activities we are doing= and we do a lot...I look in this child's folder and she has weeks worth of materials still in it (they aren't checking it). So-I need to know--what can I do to improve communication--I can't speak to each parent regarding EVERYthing we are doing bc they don't come in at consistent times--and usually I'm busy TEACHING when they come in late in the day---I want to improve if the problem is with me but I just don't know what else to do! Advice?

harminygrits is offline   Reply With Quote

timespent

Have you tried....
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

sending emails to the parents instead of paper copies? I know this works for some of my families while others like hard copies of our newsletters and bulletins. If you send emails, you at least have a record of the materials being sent if she says she hasn't been told about something.

Personally, I would think your families would be grateful for all the things you are doing. Sounds like you are doing a tremendous job and really care about your students.
timespent is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First of all your students are VERY fortunate that you care so much. There are always some people that we can NEVER make happy. I sometimes wonder if they get some kind of happiness out of finding things to complain about....
We do use email for newsletters at my school. It works really well because I email to all the adults who are involved (since our day is just 9-2, I have lots of grandparents who drop off/pick up). I also send reminders when the kids are supposed to do something special like the parade and I even put key words in the reference line so if parents see the email on their phone or something they will open it. I mainly do all this because I don't want the child to be left out of something just because his/her parents don't read the papers in the folder, etc.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 11-03-2012, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Don't let it bother you. There will always been parents who do not take responsibility for themselves or their children.

Each of my students has a notebook that goes in their backpack. I glue the daily note (what we did, information and parenting tips) in each notebook.

I also had a parent complain (in the notebook) that she was angry no one told her about the party and.............. yada yada yada.
I responded: read entries on 10-12, 10-18 and 10-24.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

harminygrits

Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Valone--that is an excellent idea..and that is similar to what happened to me..when the parent responded that nobody told her about the halloween parade directions (time-wear constume etc) I told her that the note had been up for over a week--she got angry and said she didn't need a note posted she needed communication...I guess I should just forget about it--maybe she is just stressed out or something...Parent communication is important and considering I will need an idea for my Action Research Project for next semester (Student-Teaching in my own room) I think it's worth looking into--thanks everybody for all of your input and ideas--I will certainly be utilizing them

harminygrits is offline   Reply With Quote

KidzVille

notebook calendar
Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had the same "type of Parent" at our school. We would post serveral large printed posters/calendars inside their take home folders about upcomming events. I even had the child tell his parents about them...I would make a necklace and write the event on a poster board cut out-for their son to wear home...It finally stop her complaining. she hasn't came to us since!
KidzVille is offline   Reply With Quote

boothgirlz

sometimes for important
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

events or information we print it out on to colored paper and cut it into strips. Then we tape it around the child's arm like a bracelet. We tell the students that only mom or dad (or whichever adult they live with) can remove it.
We also have daily folders that go home with all the information too.
boothgirlz is offline   Reply With Quote