Gifted Education

Texas GT certification

>

Readerforlife

Texas GT certification
Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

To any Texas GT certified teachers:

I am a certified Texas teacher and I would like to pursue my GT certification, but I am finding it difficult how to get it. I know there is a test, but do I have to have a Masters? What are the requirements? Do I have to take course work prior to taking the test?

Thank you.

Readerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote

mathtch2

I have it
Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

And all I did was take the test, no masters. There weren't any requirements (at least when I took it).
mathtch2 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Take the test
Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

All you have to do is take the test.. HOWEVER... the certification does not qualify you to teach gifted classes (yea, I know).

In order to teach gifted students in Texas you are required to have 30 hours (clock hours) of professional development: 6 hours in the Identification and Assessment of Gifted Children, 6 hours in the Social Emotional Needs of Gifted Children, and 18 hours in Differentiated Instruction. Some districts replace 6 of those 18 with 6 hours of Creativity training. In addition, you MUST get 6 hours of update training yearly in topics related to gifted education.

Our district requires all teachers who have students clustered in their classes to have the 30 hours, any teacher who is responsible for providing gifted services must have the 30 hours and be certified (but that's a district policy).

I would suggest you check with your Regional Service Center and talk to their person in charge of Gifted and Advanced Academics to find out what is common in your area.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote