What is the biggest stereotype and myth? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Gifted Education

What is the biggest stereotype and myth?

>

EVANS

EVANS

What is the biggest stereotype and myth?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is the biggest stereotype and myth you see about G/T children?

KellyTeachTX

just a few
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. They're so smart that they don't need to learn anything...WRONG.

2. They're intellectually gifted, so they MUST be socially on target---WRONG

3. They can work faster than other kids. (yes, in some cases but not in all)

4. They don't like to be read aloud to.. WRONG..they LOVE IT.

5. They WILL do all their homework, turn everything in on time and LOVE school. (nope)

6. They're easy to teach because they learn so much faster. WRONG WRONG WRONG---sometimes, they're the hardest to teach

7. They're misbehaving because they're not being challenged. (sometimes, but in many cases, it's because they haven't been TAUGHT HOW to behave...parents and teachers have glossed over and excused their behavior because "he's so smart.." such a tragedy to do that to a child)

That's just a few of mine...

Kelly
KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Old 07-03-2007, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They don't need as much attention as the other students, they'll be ok on their own.

If they're "truly gifted" they'll finish their work and look for something else to do on their own (roflol!!! Let me introduce you to MY child.. ROFL)

One that shocked me this year when I started doing testing for our district, a kindergarten teacher told me that she didn't have any she felt needed to be tested because none of hers were reading that well yet.. ???

They "behave" better than other students their age. I keep trying to explain the fact that they're smart doesn't mean they aren't still ten!! (or whatever age it is)

And then there are those teachers who say, "You don't have the problems the rest of us do, you teach the gifted kids." Riiiight, no problems at all (let's just start with perfectionism and go from there...)
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One of the gifted children I had in my regular classroom this past year could NOT spell, write complete sentences, and basically couldn't copy anything from the board unless allowed to sit there all day and do nothing but that. I started printing out all his notes for him and even let him dicate paragraphs to me. He was so THRILLED! His mother said it was the best year he'd had because other teachers didn't see how he was "gifted" if he couldn't spell/write etc. (One teacher a few years back even recommened to his mother he may need to be tested and placed in Special Ed. Sure, he may have a learning disability in an area, but that's called "twice exceptional".) The child was brilliant. Other teachers made comments about his work that I displayed in the hall, saying, "How did HE get in the gifted program?" I also didn't make him make up his work when he went to the gifted teacher. (I have NEVER in 15 years made gifted kids make up work they missed, and I gave them their tests when they got back if they missed one.) So many regular classroom teachers think that you have to do everything perfectly to be gifted, and it just isn't so. I had another gifted child this year who made C's in math, and A's in everything else. (I was in the gifted program myself MANY years ago, and I struggled all through school and college with math. Until I started taking the gifted courses this year to get my endorsement, I always thought they had to have made a mistake by putting me in gifted classes as a child, because I had such a hard time in math.) Again, gifted doesn't mean that you can do everything perfectly, and there are "high achievers" who make straight A's who are not gifted.
AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 07-14-2007, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach near a military base. DOD schools have a program called TAG which stands for gifted and talented. The problem is they have very loose requirements for admitting students. Then they come to Tennessee and some parents get so mad because their child is not automatically in PASS.In Tennessee, there are several step to climb to have your child placed in the PASS class. It is so hard to make some understand that being intellectually gifted is different from being bright.

volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I second the "dont need any attention" myth.
My parents thought that since my sister and I were so gifted, that we could just be left on our own all the time, that we could figure things out for ourselves. NOPE. We didn't learn most of the basic things about life that most parents would teach their kids. Its not our parents fault, they just figured we "knew everything" since we were gifted.
I was 28 years old before I figured out that I didn't need to still tie my shoe laces in double knots
PPCDTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

michelb366

Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with many of the posts above, and..

Some teachers feel that enrichment means that the students does all the regular classwork (instead of testing out of things he/she has known for years) and then doing more work as enrichment.

Some teachers don't believe that K-2 students need to be enriched as they may miss something. Sorry, but if a 1st grader is reading 4th grade books fluently and comprehending well, they don't need 1st grade phonics!

My biggest challenge in our school is to help these teachers make sure that their gifted students make at least a year's growth just like the rest of the class.
michelb366 is offline   Reply With Quote

sasha11

good grades and behavior
Old 06-21-2008, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That they will have good grades and behavior. My high school son makes terrible grades, hates school, and finds a way to get in trouble for little things (over and over and over). Inspite of his high intelligence, school is not his thing.
sasha11 is offline   Reply With Quote