Help

ESL/LEP

Question About Project

>

born2teachuga

Question About Project
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I'm enrolled in a Literacy Coaching class and I'm trying to make sense of a group project our professor has assigned us to do. I've emailed the professor to ask her questions about it, and her responses make me 10 times more confused than I was before I asked. Is there a way I can get you to take a look at this assignment and see if you can make heads or tails of what I'm supposed to be doing?
I am mentally exhausted from this class. My professor has the worst case of ADD I've ever seen.

born2teachuga is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_Again

Hey
Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, your project is the group project so make sure you work collaboratively! Also, it is not as difficult as you may think. Basically, you will need to think of yourself as someone who is giving a PD session at an elementary school X to general education teachers about how to meet the needs of their ELL population. Since you are required to prepare PPP, and I suppose there is no limit to the number of slides, I would stick to 30. In your PPP you can discuss the following:
1. Talk briefly about ELL: what it is, stats in your state/district/school;
2. Discuss current research - 1-2 slides are enough;
3. Briefly outline best ELL practices: I personally prefer using GLAD (Guided Language Acquisition Design), Universal Design for Learning, TPR (Total Physical Response), Whole Language Approach (when all 4 language moralities are incorporated into daily instruction.)
4. Pick 2-3 practices to describe in depth: provide theory, and examples. Here you have a chance to make handouts your professor spoke of: you can make a list of the best practices with examples, such as student work samples. You can also ask the participants to actually do an exercise or something of that sort so they can apply what you have taught them in practice. You can as well make a little brochure or pamphlet.
5. So far you should have 15-20 slides already! The next few slides dedicate to suggestions such as what to do if...I call these scenarios. Think of 1-2 and ask the audience to work in pairs/groups to read them and using your handouts to discuss and then share.
6. Lastly, give a comprehensive list of literature teachers can use to further educate themselves on the issue of ELLs, interactive websites for ELLs use: readinga-z.com, starfall.com and many others.
7. Last slide dedicate for questions!
Most importantly, do not freak out and have fun! Please, let me know how it goes!
Teach_Again is offline   Reply With Quote

born2teachuga

So thankful!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm so glad you could make sense of all that. I LOVE YOUR OUTLINE SUGGESTION!! Only question I have though was there was mention of something about a country and providing information about that and I didn't know what she was referring to with including that. I didn't know if she was suggesting we pick a country and target the ell workshop around that group of students or what.
born2teachuga is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_Again

Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, on the good day you can talk about ELL and all it entails...from today till tomorrow! I think you do not need to pick a country. However, you can speak of certain cultural issues that every teacher should know in order to better serve the needs of their ELLs. For example, asian stuents tend to look down when being spoken to. It is not a sign of disrespect, rather a sign of respect for authority. Also, such students, even proficient ones, tend to be silent and passive. Teachers that do not know that may assume students misbehave or inattentive. Students from Latin countries treasure their families and family ties. It is often that students miss school because they need to help out at home: mom is not home so the older sibling has to pick up the younger ones, take them home and cook for them. Native American students do not support competition so they prefer working alone. I can give you many more such examples. the point is, teachers should know where their students come from, and what cultures they belong to. But like I said, you do not need to go deep in this. You can briefly mention the importance of having such knowledge and you can use my examples here.
Teach_Again is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingESL05

Question about students cultures
Old 11-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Why do you think its important to know what culture students come from and belong to? and what do you think about a multicultural education in the classroom, do you think its helpful?

TeachingESL05 is offline   Reply With Quote