Help

Gifted Education

Teaching Gr 1 and also GT 4-6 - Help!

>

jpoland

Teaching Gr 1 and also GT 4-6 - Help!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a grade one teacher and was told this year I will also be teaching the GT Progam in our school. It is only 5 periods a week. I was wondering how others ran their program and activities for them to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jpoland is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

book it science 4-6 grade
Old 08-08-2007, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Science experiments.

Book It reading. They earn free Pizza Hut pizza for reading library books. Google and get the details. You need to get enrolled right away as the dead line is coming up

Do you have a county or state spelling contest? There is a National contest and we have a school, county, state and then the winner goes to the National spelling contest.

There is also a National Geography contest. We don't do it and I don't know anything about it, but it sounds like fun. Do the geography and Book-it.

I remember someone suggested
Hoagies Gifted Pages on the Web.

There are many suggestions there regarding identifying and instructing the gifted.

Logic Puzzle for variety

Last edited by hescollin; 08-08-2007 at 06:54 AM..
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

AMac

Ideas
Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Will it be a pull-out program? Has the principal given you any guidelines for scheduling?

I teach K-5 GT and it is a pull-out program. I pull each grades 1-5 for 2 to 3 hours a week. It varied depending on the teacher's schedules.

A great program for 1st grade is PETS. You can find this book at www.piecesoflearning.com. My first graders loved this program. We also did some logic puzzles, sudoku, tangrams, etc.

My fourth and fifth graders did various units of study: Native Americans, Flight simulation, Living Museum, IIM Research, Claymation.

Interact has great simulations. You might check into those.
AMac is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

click on newsletter
Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Even the free ideas in the newsletters are great at your www.piecesoflearning.com site
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

jpoland

jpoland
Old 08-10-2007, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is a pull out program, 5 periods a week. The most time I will have with them is a half hour. It is grade 4-6 students and I will have all of them at the same time. I was also thinking of computer skills for them to do. I don't know. We live in a small town and do not have pizza hut. They read a lot so having them read novels during this time is not an option. They want me to do hands on ideas, computer skills, inquiry. Thanks for your ideas so far.

jpoland is offline   Reply With Quote