Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing for specials and classes picked up late

>

JustaSub

Subbing for specials and classes picked up late
Old 04-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For elementary school specials like Art, PE, or Music. Some teachers know when there is a sub for specials and they are conveniently late picking their class up. Especially if they know that you have a break or planning period. What really gets me agitated is that with a limited 30 min lunch break, some are even late and it cuts into the sub's only lunch break. This has happened to me different times. It's like some think that subs won't mind. Or when a para is supposed to cover you for a 30 min planning period for a Kindergarten class and never shows, yet she covers the other classes. Is it because there is a sub in there that wouldn't know the difference? A break is a break and we all need them! That has happened to me too.

JustaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

What if
Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You decide to drop them off in their classroom before the next class comes? I'm sure that it would be appreciated.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

JustaSub

Re:what if
Old 04-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would but usually the teacher isn't even in the their classroom during their planning time. They might be in the copy room or lounge and depending how far the classroom is from the special's class, our paths may not cross and we will be looking for eachother.
JustaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Late
Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

All the clocks are different.
The elective teacher always runs behind my five minutes.
A meeting during prep ran over.
A parent phone call took longer than expected.
The administrator grabbed the teacher for a quick conversation.
The teacher lost track of time.

Iím no saying good, bad, or indifferent...but as a sub, itís impossible to know what is ďnormalĒ for every teacher. Just roll with it - thatís what the teachers have to do!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 04-13-2018, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Just roll with it
Now that's some pretty darn good advice. I'm rarely late picking up kids, but I'm occasionally late delivering them!

And, when subbing specials, I've ended up with two classes occasionally.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This behavior isn't reserved for subs. If you are a special area teacher (and I was for three decades) some teachers will grab a little extra prep time nearly every day. I had one teacher who always managed to get her class scheduled at the beginning of the day or next to one of my breaks (or both) so she could pick up an extra 15 minutes or more of prep every week. When I became a "squeaky wheel" about it, she always claimed that her classroom clock wasn't accurate. That may have been true but it didn't explain why she would drop her class off as much as 5 minutes early and come to get them as much as 5 minutes late.

Really, I was usually more upset about teachers who would keep their classes for maybe an extra 10 minutes to clean up after a project and just let me wonder when they were going to show up. Too much effort to make a phone call or drop an e-mail, I guess.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had this happen to me this week. I had a class arrive late due to "testing." Turns out the class was really outside for bonus recess (students told me) because testing was over and they had time before coming to special; the class was farther away from the specials room and that is what took the time.

How I handle this is I set an alarm on my phone a few minutes before the end of class to allow for clean up. When the new class arrives I say to that teacher "can you take this class back to their room." If they decline then the first class sits in the hall waiting for their teacher. I check on them occasionally.

Several years ago I walked a class to the office when the teacher didn't show up. Turns out the teacher had a half day and the (favorite) sub was eating lunch. I pointed out that someone needed to take the class as I was due at another school in the district in the afternoon. This was resolved by having the students sit in the hallway where they could be seen by office staff.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

it happens
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When that happens I say nothing the first time, but when it happens more, I just ask the teacher if she is coming back and when.
On the other side -I have been late going to a class, and I know the evil eye I get when that happens.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote