Help

Substitute Teachers

Smart Board takes over teacher's job

>

Sublime

Smart Board takes over teacher's job
Old 04-17-2018, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed in a Special Day Class this morning (autism, etc.). Since last year (same class) they have installed a Smart Board. Calendar was done by the SB, not by the teacher leading and touching items on it. For reading time I asked the aide if I should pick a couple books to read. She told me they put stories on the SB, for example, Green Eggs and Ham. For an hour (!) the kids sat (as best they could having differing abilities) watching stories and songs. I admit that the songs were cute and they could "dance" to them. While turning class over to a SB may be easy I found myself uncomfortable with the lack of contact with the children. I know a special ed teacher has so much to deal with but I didn't care for the hands-off approach. I was so bored not having anything to do.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You have my sympathy.

I think we are going to be in the process of figuring out the role of technology in education for a long time. I agree that we are in danger of sacrificing human connection/contact.

I've also noticed that new technology often gets over-used until the newness wears off.

In the situation you describe, I might let the SB "entertain" most of the kids while I select different ones (or small groups) to work with individually.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

IWB's
Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm still just getting used to the idea of using document cams and I have not fully explored the potentials of promethean or smartboards. How interactive do these teacher "toys" get beyond showing videos or powerpoints?

kahluablast

Old 04-18-2018, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am not going to say it is right, but I also know that in many schools, Sped Teachers do not get breaks and planning as often as Gen Ed teachers. So if they can get a short period of time to take care of business and that is how they get it, more power to them. The Sped teachers I know work hard every day.

It would be boring as a sub or other person with nothing to occupy yourself.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 04-18-2018, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To Lumberman: I actually have not used a SB yet; the aide was working it. If I see one when I walk into a classroom I usually hope I don't have to use it and I have not had to yet. I actually don't know how interactive they can be.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-18-2018, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have had a Smartboard since 2008. I absolutely love it. I can embed video clips, pictures, audio, etc. into my discussions and activities. I don't have to erase something to write something else on the board. I can easily print notes and assignments for kids. I can pull up the online version of the textbook, show kids how to do things on their laptops.

It's not a toy or a projector screen. It's a large touch-screen computer monitor.

As far as having nothing to do, that might be true for you coming into the room as a substitute, but it's not the case for me as a teacher. I have to create the presentations and find the materials to use just like I would have to do making regular pencil/paper/book lessons. And I still interact with the kids during the lessons.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 04-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am cautious about the overuse of technology in the classroom (I'm already getting tired of fighting the constant "Can we go on Chromebooks?" battle) but I think Smartboards really do enhance learning. And, as a substitute, I see that they make it easier for a teacher to come up with lessons that carry on learning even with a sub that's not certified in that area. It's a little frustrating because not all Smartboards are the same and some of them are harder to use than others. I work for one district where every teacher has two computer screens and you have to bring up your information on one screen and then send it to the other screen for it to show on the Smartboard. That took a bit of getting used to!

Lumberman, I find document cams to tremendously useful too and you will find that a Smartboard makes them even more so.

I don't find that the use of a Smartboard necessarily reduces interaction with students. It's a tool, nothing more nor less.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I teach SpEd and have since 2005
Old 04-18-2018, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have had a Smart Board the entire time. The first one was a tiny little thing on wheels. UUGGHH.

It does project videos and powerpoints. I can also do my T charts (anchor charts) on there and save it forever. I can pull up games that make the "kill and drill" engaging and fun. I can pull up and project anything on my own computer and lead a tutorial on anything from how to make Word docs to how to look up resources to how to navigate the Internet safely.

I can search for and find many, many premade lessons, powerpoints, games, videos and more for any subject that comes across my desk.

And for what it is worth, we watch a video, show or movie at the end of every week to see and discuss behaviors and social skills. I've never shown it without a lesson plan, discussion questions and repeated pauses to discuss things as it happened on the screen.

It is not the be all, end all but it is another tool in our toolbox, so to speak.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Smart Boards in some elementary schools
Old 04-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've taught in a district that had equipped Smart Boards in almost every elementary school classroom. It takes some training to learn how to use their bells and whistles, and a computer was required to do any of the fancy stuff.

As a guest teacher, I was not given any training and oftentimes the teacher would not leave the laptop in the room. I was sometimes left with an ELMO connected to the Smart Board, which really was no better than using the ELMO with a pull down screen or the white board (or even worse if the Smart Board was malfunctioning).

My biggest frustration was that in that district, the Smart Boards were installed OVER the white boards (seriously?), leaving only a small sliver of white board available for use. (At least with a pull down screen, you can roll up the screen when not using it.) I still like to use the white board when I teach, so having it covered by the (in my case) useless Smart Board, was a huge imposition, leaving me to resort to the flip chart (if there was one). Oftentimes, there was no ELMO or roll down screen, as they had also been removed. And sometimes the lesson plan required showing a movie via Smart Board and laptop or Smart Board and DVD player, but gave no instructions on how to set it up. Sigh.

I have spoken with many experienced teachers about Smart Boards, and most have confided that they found Smart Boards a waste of money because teachers can do just fine with a simple (and much less costly) ELMO, projector, and pull down screen. They are also frustrated because the decisions about classroom equipment are made sans teacher input. The very people (teachers) who have to use the equipment are not consulted about what equipment should be purchased.

Another question is, what happens when the Smart Boards age and break down? The problem with buying the latest technology is that it needs to be maintained and becomes outdated very quickly. Replacing it will be expensive. I've seen that with the classroom chromebooks and ipads. In no time, they start to malfunction or not function and then the class time is wasted trying to trouble shoot the technical devices. What happens when the devices don't work? You resort to the ever available and reliable standbys--books. Oh the irony.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-21-2018 at 02:59 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Fahrenheit 451
Old 04-23-2018, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Remember the parlor wall (parlor room) in Fahrenheit 451? The interaction in lieu of other people- or lack of personal interaction

I walked into a classroom of K students signing Happy Birthday to a fellow student. The student sat to the side of the SB, which was showing a video -of a kids group playing a happy birthday scene from someone's else birthday.

The students were looking at the screen not the birthday boy.
The birthday boy was too-

pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I have had a Promethean Board for 8 years
Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My students use it every day for almost every lesson. It is very interactive and keeps the students engaged. If I'm using a flipchart, I have to create it, using the objectives I want to teach, but anyone can teach the lesson by just clicking through the pages. Many subs do not want to use it, so I leave alternate plans for those who are afraid to try, but honestly, my 6 and 7 year old students could go through the lessons if the teacher doesn't know how. I use the Promethean as a center activity during reading groups, for short video clips that introduce or reinforce lessons, and as the main lesson. It's a valuable tool that has changed the way I teach, but it has in no way become a substitute for my teaching.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote