Middle schoolers do this every time.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Student: "Can I go to my locker to get my pen?"

Me: "I have extras right here."

Student: "I want my own though. Student XYZ broke my best pen."

Me: "Fine. (Sigh...) Be quick."

(Student comes back 10 minutes later.)

Worst is when friends both ask to use the restroom together... Are you kidding me????

This time-wasting sketchiness will never ceases to exist as long as Junior high schools exist.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-19-2018, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like when two kids need to take the attendance down. I liked student teaching and getting to know middle schoolers, but subbing for them is usually a stressful day.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 04-19-2018, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Just because they want it, that doesn't mean they get it.

They will take the one I offer or they do without. And if they do without, then they face consequences for failure to complete work.

I've got zero tolerance for their foolishness.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Gonna Say It
Old 04-19-2018, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you allow that, it is on you. I know that age group is tricky, but itís up to you to stay ahead of it.
If you have spare writing sticks - they can use that. Same goes for bathroom. Let one go at a time only. I teach second and I donít even let one of each gender out at the same time!

Your other choice is to decide itís not a battle worth fighting and let it go/stop letting it get to you.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Cetti

Old 04-19-2018, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If they ask to take attendance together I ask, "how many people does it take to carry a piece of paper?" Then find a 2nd "duty" for the other student to do, ex: pass out papers, find something I may/may not know where it is located, write something on whiteboard for me. Then they both feel like they are "helping."

Cetti is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Lol.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

They are such social creatures aren't they?

Exhausting at times.

subasaurus

Just to be clear...
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I posted my original post to simply point out how these behaviors are slightly annoying, yet so very predictable it makes me laugh. Middle schoolers will never change. They're like clockwork. It's a fun age to work with, but also can be the most challenging.

I've been in the sub game for a decade now. I don't let kids take advantage, I just realize SOME battles aren't worth fighting as a stranger in the room. Last thing you want is a power struggle and to get students into "let's provoke the sub" mode.

Not saying give them what they want all the time. No way. Just saying sometimes ignoring their silly behaviors actually calms them down and gets them back to work. Obviously if a student is being consistently disruptive, or taking advantage of having a stranger in the room and making noises on their devices, you better believe I give them warnings to be appropriate -- or they face a written referral from me for the office and their teacher!

Silence can be a powerful tool. I find students respond to ignoring their silly behaviors far better than they do "debates."

It all depends on the severity of the crime to me. I don't penalize students I don't know for taking long to get their calculators. I will inform them they took long and to stay in the class for the remainder of the period. But honestly, there are bigger fish to fry if that's their first minor infraction. And if you don't know the personalities of the students, it's difficult to decide whether they're trustworthy or not.

If a student is acting purposely disrespectful or vulgar my patience is thin. Zero tolerance for bullying and disrespect in my room.

Basically, I consider my classroom management style to be quite balanced. I can be nice, and I can be firm. Depends on the kids and school's culture. Some schools are kind of run like prisons, and some are far more laid back and a pleasure to work for. I tend to not sub at schools that are managed too strictly for my tastes. I fit in best in more mellow types of schools.

Last edited by subasaurus; 04-20-2018 at 07:59 AM..

mooba1

Old 04-20-2018, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You are so right to choose your battles. No matter what age youíre subbing, thatís a rule to live by. Good on ya for loving those middle schoolers. Someone has to do it.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 04-21-2018, 02:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Basically, I consider my classroom management style to be quite balanced. I can be nice, and I can be firm.
I tell the kids something like this and make it clear that the "me" they get will ultimately be up to them.

I believe classroom control is ultimately a myth and try to avoid battles (or the need to choose them) by sharing management of the room with the kids. That often means "educating" the kids regarding the consequences of the decisions they make.

It's easy to forget that kids are learning to be adults and that includes figuring out just how much independence they have in decision-making. Sometimes they need to understand they can choose anything, but they have to be willing to accept the consequences. Because of "where they are" developmentally, middle schoolers tend to find that particularly challenging and tend to have a short-term view.

"If I let you go to your locker and you're gone for ten minutes, you will miss... how are you going to make that up?"

With older kids, I've gone so far as to let them know not doing assigned work has no real impact on me, but it may on them. Disrupting the class, however, is not an option because impacts me and the other students, etc.

But I also fully believe
Quote:
...sometimes ignoring their silly behaviors actually calms them down and gets them back to work.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You are so right! I see it every single day! One teacher I subbed for only gave them one locker pass a week and one bathroom pass a week and she wanted me to keep track. It REALLY cut down on their nonsense!

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Love middle school!
Old 04-22-2018, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That's where I spent most of my career. That's where I sub most. I make sure I have the office number and call the attendance in when I can. As far as potty passes, they have a set number per quarter, and I make them fill out passes in their agendas. It sure slows them down! Writing utensils? Not my problem. Borrow one from the teacher or from a friend. Forgot your chromebook, homework, textbook, etc.? Fill out a top pass (one of their potty passes). School policy. Don't have your passes/agenda? So sad, too bad. On occasion I will take a sticky note and have them write passes. I'm not totally mean.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Same in elementary school
Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I even see first graders pulling the same stunts you describe. Anything to waste time. Unfortunately they start young. Maybe learn it from older siblings? I pretty much know all their tactics now and have zero tolerance for the time wasters.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

timely advice
Old 04-23-2018, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I sub 5th grade tomorrow. Usually I am just a special subject teacher, short and sweet. But good advice to for to remember when the students start testing me tomorrow. I will be ready.(haha, as I can be)
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote