Help

Substitute Teachers

On Strike

>

AZsub

On Strike
Old 04-22-2018, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers are on strike as of thursday. Sub supervisors have given us no direction. I have chosen to block myself on thursday. I understand and agree with the strike, so do not want to cross their picket line.

The problem I am having, is that this is the last weeks of school here. We end May 25. They probably will close the schools. It gets harder and harder to get work the closer it is to the end. When the teachers return and if school is extended, I do not think admin will take kindly of teachers taking days off. This is my only income, so I am worried.

Any subs have experience when teachers strike and what happens to us?

AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Here4TheCake

Old 04-22-2018, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in AZ, too. I support the strike, but I also know that many of these children might be in potentially dangerous situations if their parents have no where to bring them.

I have two districts I sub for. One has about 45 sub jobs open for Thursday. One has none. I'm waiting to see what the second district does before I make my decision.

I'm most likely going to work if a class I know I do well with is available.

When you mean "what happens to us?" First-- you don't get paid. Do you mean what happens if you choose to work?
Here4TheCake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

I don't have personal experience with it...
Old 04-24-2018, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

....but I guess it's something every substitute teacher had better think about. I understand your viewpoint. If I were a striking teacher, I would still understand your viewpoint but I don't if all my colleagues would.

I know that, in some areas, districts will pay exorbitant wages to substitute teachers during a strike because they know it's tough to cross a picket line. I know that if subbing were my primary income, that would be pretty tough to resist, especially with summer coming up.

Some things I would consider: 1) Am I looking to ever be a regular teacher in the state? If so, the things that they may win with this strike will be even more important to me. 2) Do I think there could be any danger attached to crossing a picket line? It seems unlikely that crossing a picket line of teachers would be more dangerous than simply going to any school to teach these days, but I would consider it. 3) Do the teachers have any say-so about their substitute teachers? Will I drop off "preferred sub" lists if I cross the picket line? 4) Do I have children in this school system? Do the potential benefits for them outweigh my concern about the lost income? 5) After the strike is over, will I be okay with it if the regular teachers are hostile toward me for crossing the picket line (because some of them probably will be)?

Personally I wouldn't do it but my subbing income is supplemental, not primary.

As to concerns about parents not having any place to take their children if the schools close, I understand that concern too BUT schools are not daycares. It really kind of burns me that the same parents who will not vote for candidates that support public education, who absolutely don't want to pay higher taxes to support public education, who bash teachers 24/7, still see schools as some kind of "free" daycare and gripe about any changes to the schedule that require them to find childcare.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 04-24-2018, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If it's your sole source of income, then cross the line. It shouldn't be another free day for the kids; they have enough days off in summer and over the course of the year. No lesson plans? Bring your own that could be used across two or more subject areas. Show a documentary, an educational movie.

I don't have too much sympathy for picketing teachers, at least in my state; they have good benefits, are paid pretty well, average salary in my home district is 88k. They need to realize they are not special and are replaceable. And in the real world, if you don't like your salary, you find another job.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

thecoast

That's the question:
Old 04-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What happens to us? And the answer depends on what US means. So, for example, if you sense a collegiality with full time or contract teachers, then you're thinking about those who are striking as one of you, and you as one of them. But if, on the other hand, you are not considered as a colleague educator--and if the posts on this forum are any indication, most substitute teachers do not feel that full time, contract teachers view substitutes as on par with them from an educator perspective--then us means something else. When teachers strike, are they striking on behalf of substitute teachers also? Truth be told, very unlikely. Though, in my view, regular teachers should also be striking on behalf of substitute teachers. There should be solidarity among educators. But, as one great orator once put it, there just ain't none. If you look out for number one, there will no doubt be consequences. If you don't look out for yourself, there are also consequences. The real question is, what are the consequences you are willing to live with?

thecoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Subtastic
Old 04-25-2018, 03:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
They need to realize they are not special and are replaceable. And in the real world, if you don't like your salary, you find another job.
Well, I guess it depends on where you are at. In this state most teachers didn't strike but massive numbers of teachers did, in fact, find another job and now there's a teacher shortage as well as a substitute teacher shortage. When a teacher resigns or retires here, depending on their subject area, they may very well be irreplaceable. If a big district went on strike here, there's no way they'd be able to cover with substitute teachers, especially since most districts rely heavily on retired teachers to come back and sub and most of us absolutely would not cross a picket line.

But, as I said, I get that it's a different situation for people for whom subbing is their primary source of income.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

Strike
Old 04-30-2018, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for your responses.

The state closed the schools, so I do not have to worry about crossing picket lines.

I am wondering if there will be very much need for subs this last month of school, once the teachers come back. Wondering if the district will be upset at teachers who take off from school, due to them taking time for strike.
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

AZ sub
Old 04-30-2018, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

you might call some child care places and see if they are hiring for now through the summer. I expect some are setting up rapid school age care centers and will need staffing fast.

You might also start applying for whatever you use for summer employment immediately, since teachers who work during the summers will soon be applying.

Most subs have difficulty surviving on school year work alone, especially if that income is a sole or major support for them and the family.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-30-2018, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've been thinking about this a lot and often wondered what I would do.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 04-30-2018, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've been thinking about this a lot and often wondered what I would do.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-06-2018, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I opened this thread because it is very possible the teachers in one of my district will strike before the end of the school year. Even though these teachers make far more than I do as a sub (and if anyone should strike, it should be us subs because we are given no insurance and very little money for what we do). However, I would NOT cross a picket line because I plan to continue working in this district in the future and feel it would cause me more problems in the future. Teachers can always drop subs on aesop, allowing a different sub to take the job instead. I wouldn't want to be persecuted in the future, just because I want to make some more money now. I would most likely just apply to work in other nearby districts in the meantime, if there were a strike. Or worse comes to worse, apply to work at a local supermarket instead.
NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote