Help

Substitute Teachers

They. Will. Not. Stop. Talking.

>

mooba1

They. Will. Not. Stop. Talking.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Sweet kids today (and again tomorrow) who donít act out, but they are so disruptive with non-stop talking! This is the first group Iíve ever had whoíve managed to chatter away while simultaneously writing down vocab definititions as I wrote them on the Elmo. I mean to tell you, they were keeping up with me and writing furiously in their Science notebooks, so they werenít just visiting. It more more like multi-tasking!

The class (well, the whole grade level) is abuzz with thoughts of summertime, though school wonít be out until after Memorial Day. Itís going to be a long haul until then, but just 9 more jobs on the books to go unless someone else needs me. I may hide in a dark corner if anyone comes looking...

How are things going for the rest of you? Mrsd5, wonder if we can get a better price on those Ritalin salt licks if we order in bulk? We have several students who simply are incapable of being still for more than a few seconds. Bless their little cotton socks. You want to wring their necks and hug them at the same time.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Ha!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One student earned a detention today for insubordination and disruption. He thinks he's so cute when he makes snarky comments with a smile on his face. AND he refused to read his book, you know...the one that he had just picked out at the library. He said he didn't like it. He didn't even open it. Grrr.... He's a very immature 7th grader.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh yes, the talking. I had a 5/6 split yesterday that I have subbed several times in. For 45 min. I taught the 6th in the front of the room while the 5th worked in the back. Then later, 45 min. teaching the 5th in front with the 6th in back. If the students in back don't work quietly it is very difficult for the students in front to hear me and me them. At times I couldn't hear the students up front reading from the text (some very quiet readers). I had to tell the groups in back several times to lower their voices, I gave them time in from lunch, etc. At one point I separated a group in back and a boy argued, "How are we supposed to do the project if we can't talk?!" I told him go sit at a desk and read or do any other work. I don't know how the teacher manages (I know it's a troublesome class this year.) Students were telling me she does indeed yell at the groups in back for them to work quietly! During the whole class work, everything was fine, but splitting up the class that way is rough. I was absolutely exhausted by the time they left.

By the time school is out I'll be ready for it. Especially since my last 3 days of work at the end of May will be kindergarten....
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-02-2018, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

. I will go in on one of those ritalin licks. Not for my class - I am actually quite pleased with them overall. But I need to slide one into the class next door. I can't even tell you how many times they came to me looking for things that I am not in charge of. They had a sub and I think they ran over her.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This time of year even the most behaved class will start to act out with talking and hyperactivity.
I subbed for a 2nd grade that was so good before Christmas yesterday.
I couldn't believe it was the same class

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 05-05-2018, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tolerate talking but if it gets so loud I can't hear myself think, I will tell them to quiet down whatever grade it is. I think teachers permit too much group or partner work, so if I sense it's going to be a tough class I overrule the teacher and make it independent work. Try that.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote