Help

Substitute Teachers

Lord, help me

>

mooba1

Lord, help me
Old 05-19-2018, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Going into my last week, and I’m kind of dreading Monday. I have a split assignment, 4th in the morning and 1st in the afternoon. The 4th graders are great, but the the firsties at this school...

Honestly, they are just flat mean, no other way to say it. They have had some actual knock-down, drag-out fights this year in 1st. I normally avoid 1st, but accepted two of these 4th/1st split days before I realized just how challenging this year’s firsties are. It just means really clamping down on them, to the point where I’ve had them put their heads down on their desks and just sit there for a few minutes to reboot. Yeesh.

This year, my district has been giving the teachers half days of team planning a few times a year. The teachers love it, but it makes it tricky when an entire grade level is all subs, even for just a half day. Normally I don’t have any issues I can’t deal with, but I will be so relieved to get Monday afternoon over with. At least it’s at the beginning of the week, so I don’t have to dread it much longer!

mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-20-2018, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow. I've never met any mean first graders; that is sad. Just the usual ones who can't sit still and like to tattle!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-20-2018, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím telling you, Sublime, that is the same exact adjective their ďregularĒ teachers use to describe them: mean. There is just no other way to describe them. Itís scary, b/c this is a really nice school full of (mostly) great kids.
mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

whd507

mean classes
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I subbed some 4th graders at a school a few years back, and once or twice the next year when they were 5th graders, and that class was mean and hateful. teachers had left the school in anticipation of getting this class as it moved up. It surely happens.... I hate 1/2 days, and rarely take them except for classes that I love.

I once subbed special ed in a school where ALL the sped teachers and aides were at a meeting at district office. These kids had NO familiar faces, and we had nothing but sub notes to go on, it was awful for us and the kids. Whoever though that was a great idea should be fired.
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 05-21-2018, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have met "mean" first graders before. I had a hard time believing children that age could be mean, but they were. They treated each other horribly and ignored my attempts to settle the class. It was.an awful class.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I subbed for a 1st grade class that was so bad I had an adult beverage when I got home and I don't normally do that. I asked them why were they acting this way because this was a good school with great kids. One little boy stood up and screamed at me it's because of you !!!!!!! Wow usually I get hugs and told I'm the best sub.
Not subbing this last week no way.
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

On a slightly different tack...
Old 05-24-2018, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm chuckling a bit at the entire grade level being all subs. Been there, done that... remember once being at recess and having a question come up but couldn't find a "regular" teacher. The entire playground was being run by subs. I happened to be the "senior" sub (age and experience) and by the time the day was over was joking to the sub-coordinator that working with subs can be a real pain.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

harpazo1965

NYC Substitute Teacher
Old 07-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In NYC, kids are mean in all grades not just 4 and 5. I can tell you some nightmare stories of my subbing days in NYC that will leave you in total shock.
harpazo1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

thecoast

Makes me wonder...
Old 07-09-2018, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've been accepted into a teacher certification program that starts in the fall. These stories about first graders makes wonder what I've gotten myself into.
thecoast is offline   Reply With Quote