Substitute Teachers

Do they listen?

>

c6g

Do they listen?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone else noticed this?

It will be time to go to another classroom, leave the computer lab, or switch activities. I'll remind them a few minutes before the transition. When it's time to put books, papers, pencils, laptops, etc. away and line up, I let them know with clear directions. Most students comply, but a significant number of others continue right on with what they're doing. I'll repeat the directions and more students will listen, but others won't. With some students, I have to walk over and repeat the directions a few more times. Finally, the stragglers decide to join the others.

I've been teaching for a long time, and this seems to be a growing problem.

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

rcmn

Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can only use this trick once per school, but when there is total chaos, I sometimes announce, "did anyone drop a hundred dollar bill?"

After a couple of seconds, it gets quiet, and then a few hands go up. At that point, I announce, "these students lost a hundred dollar bill, and unfortunately, I did not find it. If anyone finds it, please give it to them. Now, that I have your attention....."
rcmn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This happens almost every day I work elementary. I think our voices don't puncture the little bubbles surrounding them.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Warnings and Countdowns...
Old 05-24-2018, 01:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How this is done depends a bit on the age/grade, but I give warnings and countdowns. As the clock ticks, I am wandering around and prodding the slowpokes.

Sometimes they aren't listening, but some kids demand more transition time than others--one reason for the warnings.

The unanswered question is "How long do we need to allow for transitions?" Personally, I think we are often underestimating.

I also think you are correct, it's a growing problem. I attribute it to at least several things
  1. Nagging parents who don't "demand" compliance with instructions.
  2. An odd ability (?) of kids to focus, perhaps fostered by technology.
  3. A growing tendency to put individuality above the group/team.

When we're tempted to talk about kids being unfocused and not staying on task, remember these moments! I like Sublime's point about "puncturing the little bubbles surrounding them."

And, of course, there are some kids that just move slowly.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-24-2018, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And then there was the art sub and regular classroom teacher that had to forcibly remove art supplies from children's hands because they weren't listening to the sub. I was the sub who was waiting with my class in the hall outside the art room.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote