Substitute Teachers

accessing AM while on duty

>

Lumberman

Lumberman

Old 05-24-2018, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This topic has probably been covered but I'm brining it up anyways. So we all know subs talk and word gets around. There's a fellow sub I know that has his Aeosom (aka Absence Mgmt now) up and running. He was "caught" by someone and the claim is he was "shopping" for jobs when the truth of the matter is he needed the system running so he can access the attachment. He told me that he was given a reprimand. I find it highly hypocritical and so impractical that for us to do our jobs, I think we should have this running all the time! Don't people know that we need this to do our jobs? This is especially true when teachers put up special lessons through attachments we can download from this system.

mrsd5

Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm lucky, I guess. I have my phone on vibrate either in my pocket or on the desk while I am teaching. If a job pops up or the teacher messages me, I have it handy. As far as attachments, our district requires teachers to email lesson plans. I've looked at the attachments a few times, but am provided lesson plans from the office or from another teacher on the team. One time (an emergency during the day) I had to rely on the attachment, but let the office know. I also let them know after my husband came home from the hospital after breaking his leg that I would have my phone on with the ringer on. When I was working full time, I did that after his open heart surgery with no problems.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 05-28-2018, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Districts can and will make an issue of this.

I was "reprimanded" earlier this year for using my phone with ELL (ESL) students. I pointed out to the principal that as a sub I can't access the school (district) technology and as such my phone is often needed to show students a picture of a word.

In this case the confusion stemmed from the "Buffalo Chicken Wrap" that was for lunch; students knew the meaning words individually but not in a group. A simple Google search cleared things up.

Now subs are provided with an iPad upon request in this district.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

@SubMan
Old 05-28-2018, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Good for you for getting them to listen and provide iPads! Technology can help so easily in situations like that, and we really should be able to take advantage of it.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

@Lumberman
Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have pretty strict phone rules because the philosophy here is that it's rude to do in front of the students exactly what we're forbidding them to do. *

But because of that, I do always get paper plans! I'd absolutely be frustrated in your coworker's case!

Quote:
I also let them know after my husband came home from the hospital after breaking his leg that I would have my phone on with the ringer on. - mrsd5
* An exception would be made for something like this, though.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

the phone thingy
Old 05-29-2018, 01:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"philosophy here is that it's rude to do in front of the students exactly what we're forbidding"

Right, I get the phone thing but if it's on a laptop or desktop computer, I think that my associate has a valid point especially when a lesson is presented through an attachment in Aesop.

Nietzsche

Old 05-30-2018, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My phone is on all the time and I have never hesitated to check an alert. I've often accepted a job in the middle of lecturing in front of the class. I tell the students that some school district is requesting my service. I often have secretaries, teachers, athletic directors, and parents of my basketball team texting me while I'm at school. It has never been an issue. In fact, I've done long term sub jobs where principals have rarely stuck their head in the door or seen close to my room.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

They treat us like the children sometimes
Old 06-05-2018, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That's ridiculous.

You were literally looking at plans you needed for your job for the day.

I wouldn't go back to that school if they're going to treat you like you're one of the students.

They should have minded their own business and treated you as a professional adult, not a child.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 06-07-2018, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a job this week where the only plans were the notes on Aesop. I actually checked the Aesop notes to clarify the assignment with the students.

The person in question should have shown the plans to whomever reprimanded him. Keep in mind that very few principals have any idea how Aesop works or what it even looks like.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote