Help

Substitute Teachers

Have not sub for month and half

>

Iwonderwhy

Have not sub for month and half
Old 05-24-2018, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have not sub for a month and half because I was very sick and was not feeling well. Can I get penalties by the school district for not accepting jobs for a month and half? I was curious because the school secretary called me asking me why have I not sub for a while. I told her I was sick.

Iwonderwhy is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm guessing
Old 05-24-2018, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the district has a sub shortage and they have needed a sub and wanted to see if they should remove you from the calling list.

Some district have a minimum requirement for number of days to sub in a month or year. They often let it slide if they need people to take jobs. Districts are often willing to sound threatening, but mostly just want people to take jobs.

I worked for a district that had a two job a month minimum. I stopped working for them, just didn't pick up jobs and figured they'd take my name out of the system. After about a year they called to see if I still wanted to work for them. So much for mandatory minimums.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-25-2018, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Check with your district as to the minimum required number of subbing days each year. In my district, it is 15 days per semester, as they always have more applicants for subbing than they need. Anyone not getting the minimum number of days is out, period.

I think broomrider is right in thinking that the school was wondering whether or not to remove you from the sub list. If you’re unsure, why not give the sub coordinator a call and let him/her know you’ve been ill? Hope you’re feeling much better by now.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 05-26-2018, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't think you could be penalized for being sick. For the districts that call me directly, I try to give a heads up when there's a change in my availability (like when I accepted a part time job that made me unable to sub 2 days a week). One of my AESOP districts is so fully automated that I wouldn't even know who to call, so I just posted no-work days and figured someone would contact me if they wanted to know what that was about. (They didn't.) As far as I'm aware, none of my districts have a minimum number of days that subs are required to work.

I have one school that I worked for at the beginning of the year that has quit calling me but that's because they allow their teachers to call in sick 30 minutes prior to the start of the school day and their school day starts later than many others around here so I was never available. It was my lowest paying district so I'm fine with that. I suppose I might still get an occasional call if they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I imagine that some districts have a minimum number of days they expect subs to work simply because it costs them something to run background checks and (in some schools) drug tests so they want to be sure they get their money's worth. The reality in these parts, though, is that subs are in such short supply that most districts will take what they can get.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-28-2018, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All three of my districts have a generous 10 days per school year minimum, but if the sub techs know in advance you will not make the minimum, and you have a good reason, they can probably sidestep the requirement.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 05-28-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

WE pay for the background checks, now every 3 years, and the closest district just requires that you sub once a year.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-01-2018, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
WE pay for the background checks, now every 3 years
Really? Every THREE years and you pay for it? Is this part of your license renewal process? Here, we have to have background checks every 5 years as part of maintaining a license but each district runs an additional background check on substitute teachers. As far as I know, they only do it once and then rely on the license background checks thereafter. If I had to pay for each district to run a background check, that would be a deal-breaker with one of my districts which has a redundant application process where both the Educational Staffing agency and the district run independent background checks.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote