Help

Substitute Teachers

One of Those Days

>

SubMan

One of Those Days
Old 05-30-2018, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was supposed to sub in the primary ELL classroom today.

However...

The school had other plans. ELL students were "dispersed into" grade level classrooms for socialization. Let's see now we have, what, like 7 days until the end of school and we're socializing ELL students. Okay then.

So I'm given the schedule from you know where. Lunch is 10:00 to 10:30 (cafeteria isn't open until 11:00). "Hope you brought a lunch!" Yeah, I did or otherwise I'd be ordering pizza from the shop in the strip mall down the road.

Aside from the crappy schedule and no breaks it wasn't a bad day.

Until...

Afternoon Kindergarten arrives (I was covering music at the time). The music teacher promised them a "video" only thing is, it's not the (Disney and/or fun cartoon) video that the kids want; instead it's a cheesy summer camp musical with no name actors (I Googled them).

At the end of class I'm to walk the children to their bus spots. No less than 4 of the students claimed to be the line leader. This included one very angry boy who started shoving other students to get to the front of the line. He was incensed that I would not make him the line leader. I had him walk 10 feet ahead of the class. This was unsatisfactory to him and he kept coming back and attempting to get in front of the line. So a brawl breaks out between him and two other boys. Now three of the four students who claimed to be the line leader are rolling on the floor.

As I am attempting to separate the combatants the teacher arrives; she is not pleased. We clear the brawl and I ask "Who is your line leader today?"

It was none of the 4 students (3 boys and a girl) who claimed they were the line leader.

Lesson learned; ask the teacher who is the line leader to avoid Kindergarten brawls.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-31-2018, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tell tale clues that subs are ready for summer and need the break. I just subbed 3 days in K. Typical K kids but the aide was telling them to quiet down for the whole class. Along with that, the tattling, the squirming, the loud yapping of one inclusion child told me I was done for the year. One more day in 6th tomorrow.

Have a great summer everyone!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 05-31-2018, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ah yes, those excruciating final days of school. The kids are all on each otherís nerves, and most of the teachers only have one nerve left.

Nice of the school to be concerned about socializing the ELL students here in the last week or so of school. Iím sure theyíll find it an invaluable educational experience.

As for kinder....go with God, SubMan.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

You Are Not Alone....
Old 06-02-2018, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Subman:

I'm right there with you on the end-of-year kindergarten experience! The class I was in for "insisted" that there was a "ghost in the bathroom" in their classroom. This was a new one for me. The only way I could get their attention during the seemingly vast gap of unstructured time before dismissal was to tell them a ghost story! Never have I seen a group of kindergarten students so intent on my words. But...when I ended the story with the "mysterious moving curtain" merely being moved by an air vent...they were super mad that science triumphed over the supernatural! Fortunately for me at that point the bell rang!
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote
1bama

1bama

Last days of school
Old 08-08-2018, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was so tired the 2nd to last day of School, I went to bed at 7pm.
I woke up and my clock showed 8:30.
I was in complete panic mode....I called our school several times, nothing but the School Message Machine.
I was completely freaking out because the staff had been covering for Substitute Teachers on their free periods all year.
The birds were chirping outside and the air was cool.
I sprint to my car....I race through lights and make it to school 15 minutes past the opening start time.
I get to the School parking lot, and not a soul is in sight.
I wait a few minutes and go up the block to the nearby Gas station.
I ask the attendant the time and she says 8:50 PM.
She says it is still the Night before... You must have been exhausted!!!!!!!!!!