Help

Substitute Teachers

No plans, so now what?

>

subasaurus

No plans, so now what?
Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So far today I've talked to four different people and no one can help me find plans. The main office have no suggestions and neither does the teacher next door.

No emergency plans left either.

I take it they must not care about the students getting work done at this school...

Any suggestions? Kind of in an unfair catch 22 type of situation here where the cards are stacked against me.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

texteach55

What grade?
Old 06-07-2018, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What subject?
texteach55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If there is an agenda on the board from yesterday, use that as a guide.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 06-07-2018, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh man, that stinks. . With the “helpful” attitude being thrown down by the staff, I think you could get out some tissue paper and a comb, and accompany yourself with a little music while you did a soft shoe routine. Good luck today, subasaurus, and let us know how it went.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

Old 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm a bit late to respond helpfully but when this happened to me I asked the students what they did the day before and continued from that. Granted that was junior high so they were able to answer.

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

what did u do?
Old 06-07-2018, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know of some supplies that can pull some activity with little to no materials/equipment. The most frequently used idea that I know of is if there's AV equipment available, they play a movie. This depends on the situation though like near the end of the school year or near some break which is always nice. Others play novelty games like do some jeopardy games.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Great time of year...
Old 06-08-2018, 01:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Happened to me this week, eighth grade. Very unexpected absence on the teacher's part--sub coordinator was more worried that there were no plans than I was.

I found regular teacher's plan book on her desk and worked from that and the notes on the board... the more good news is this time of year class work tends to be finishing things, so we focused on work in progress. I started each class by announcing, "I may not be as good looking as Ms. Regular Teacher, but we think alike and we work alike." (Holding up the plan book.) Here's the plan..." Frankly, I wasn't sure what a lot of it meant, but the kids jumped on board and were awesome. We had a few extended giggling sessions and some "brain breaks," but learning took place and work got done.

Kids who finished (This was Language Arts) I allowed to go into science and math. Two girls who finished everything cleaned their lockers and then the counters in the classroom.

I put a lot of miles on wandering around the classroom looking over shoulders, occasionally telling a kid, "Can't you at least pretend to be working?" Then I'd come back a few minutes later and say, "Good job! As long as you're pretending, why not actually do something?" The kids think I'm funny. "How about a five hundred word essay on what it's like to live in a milk bottle?" "We could always get some toothbrushes and clean the floor..."

I kept thinking of a time years ago when I agreed to sub first-grade art. The regular teacher said, "Keep 'em busy or they'll eat you alive."

Best part was when the teacher replied to my sub report email that night, she said that her inbox was full of messages from the kids with completed work attached and thanked me.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Wing-It Days
Old 06-08-2018, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I rarely encounter no plans, but sometimes have kids who finish early. I work mostly with younger kids, so I generally carry a read-aloud in my bag, sometimes some coloring pages, and have a few pages in my sub binder devoted to extra activities:

math or word puzzles to put on the board
writing prompts (for different ages)
low-prep art plans
"How many words can you make from the letters in _______?"
A list with the first letter of each state - can they come up with all 50?
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 06-09-2018, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do grades 7-12. I always bring back up plans with about 30 copies because -let's face it - there are some teachers out there who are less than professional. When I subbed full-time, I ended up using them half a dozen times. I also have two educational yet entertaining not-rated movies. I also have 10-minute time-filler exercises - mainly word puzzles, literary terms/origins of words. If it's Social Studies, I'll talk about current events to stretch the time.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ktesch

Ktesch

No Plans, Now What
Old 06-13-2018, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I work as an instructional inclusion aid at a middle school. I understand how it feels when you there are no plans let and your worried about what to give the students when you are pulled to substitute. Especially when you aren't in the classroom and have no clue what to provide the students. From this experience, I now carry math problems, sorta like math facts that are simple math that the students won't struggle on but will take some time to finish. It's a good idea to print the multiplication charts, a few addition and subtraction papers, and then a connect the dots paper to always be prepared for when there are "No plans, now what" type of situation.

Lumberman

Lumberman

bag of tricks
Old 06-17-2018, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

To resolve this, there's so many things to consider. Time of the year, grade level, school events, time of the day, student moods, materials you're left with in the room, the weather outside, student safety, equipment, among other things. Think of McGyver, the guy who constantly thinks on his feet.

In general, if I have grade-school age students, and if I get to school with enough prep time, I would run off copies of some worksheets that I may have. This could tide them over until I come up with a better plan like calling their teacher by phone or ask help from the office. The main thing is once you've told the main office that there are no instructions, you free yourself of any fallout. If you have students in high school, you can assign students with study hall.

And then if you are like other subs, make sure to include in your report/feedback, "Considering, lack of instructions, I have decided to ... " and then report what happened and how the time was used. You could consider providing an admin with a carbon copy or not.

ElizabethJoy

No Plans
Old 07-01-2018, 11:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This won't help for right now, but in future:

When I worked as a casual, (sub) I encountered this often enough that I put together my own emergency plans, usually based around a read-aloud for each age group.
E.g.if was teaching first or second grade, I'd read the Rainbow Fish, we'd complete a whole class modeled writing task on the smartboard(recount, descriptive paragraph, creative writing), followed by some independent writing and then sharing aloud what kids had written. That would be literacy for the day.

For numeracy (math) I had a few basic drill-type worksheets I could photocopy for each age group, plus I'd use virtual manipulatives, mini whiteboards or whatever else was available for number sense activities.

In the afternoon, I'd often do an art or craft activity with them based around whatever our read aloud was. I also developed some fun mini lessons around you tube videos in different subject areas.

High school was a different story. If there were no plans left for high school, then depending on the subject I might just go on what whatever came next in their textbook or else ask another teacher who taught the same subject/grade. I did find it a lot trickier to wring it with the older kids.
If worse came to worse, there were a couple of times when I just took the kids outside for a game of soccer.

I understand it's annoying when there's no plans, but sometimes there is a good reason why and you just don't know the whole story. At the end of the day I figured that as long as I kept everybody safe and they learned SOMETHING, then the day wasn't a waste. You can only do your best under the circumstances.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

way too late but...
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Back in my subbing days, I never went to an assignment empty handed. I always carried my sub bag that held a variety of things I could use for any grade level. Things like what happened to you do happen unfortunately. Frankly, I'm surprised at the number of subs I see that come completely empty handed. What do they think they're walking into?

I'd recommend during the summer, make yourself a go to bag for situations like this or even if what is left doesn't work out or you run out of work with a class.

Poor reply on the school's part to have no one help you.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Thanks for tips
Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Good ideas here.

My only disagreement is that subs can "be prepared" for situations like this.

Some schools do not want students doing work irrelevant to the curriculum or not approved by administrators.

Sometimes you just have to make the class a study hall to avoid liability.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 07-20-2018, 02:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Absolutely agree, Subasaurus... well, sorta. I think we can be prepared for the unexpected, at least mentally. My preparation does not, however, include my own materials for exactly the reason you state, "liability."

A lot obviously depends on age/grade level but we should be able to keep the kids occupied using what's already in the room. When I've needed to fill some time I've done free draw, free write, had discussions, started a debate, asked the kids to write some quiz/test questions...
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote