Help

Substitute Teachers

Decisions...

>

mommysubs

Decisions...
Old 06-07-2018, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, my twins are starting kindergarten in September, and I'm at sort of a crossroads decision wise. On one hand, I want to remain on their schedule and I wouldn't mind being nearby as a building sub in the elementary school. But, on the other hand, there are no benefits that come with being a building sub and you are pretty much the school's "beotch". Another option would be to work as a building sub in the middle school or high school, but I wouldn't be around to put them on the bus in the morning. Of course, I'd be back well before they got home and could get them off the bus. It would be desirable to keep a school schedule, but I'm torn. We have cheap state health insurance now so although it isn't great we do have something. Guess I'm trying to weigh my options. If I sought out a very different form of employment it could bring benefits and more money, but that could put me on a schedule that wouldn't be at all conducive to being there for my kids... But whatever I decide, I need to get the ball rolling and make that decision soon! Thoughts?

mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 06-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For a few years, I was fortunate enough to teach at the elementary school my children attended. For the most part, it was a very good situation, as they came to school along with me, and played in my room until I was ready to leave each day.
One day, the nurse came walking across the playground with my oldest in tow. Turned out he had strep, and she was letting me know I could leave right then and take him to the dr, which I did.
The downside is that you may hear immediately if your kid did something naughty, no matter how small an indiscretion. I put the kibosh on that, telling the teachers that my kids were to be held to same expectations as any other kid, and that I didnít need to hear about it unless they did something that would normally generate a call or note home. Sometimes you can know too much.
After a few years, we moved to a different city and I never was able to have my kids in the same school where I taught, but I felt very fortunate to have had them with me when they were really little. Iím pretty sure they were glad I only taught elementary and not middle and high school!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Trade-offs and compromises...
Old 06-09-2018, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Someone once observed that life is a series of compromises/trade-offs. It sounds from your post that you've identified most of them... it might help to make a written list and maybe even give different factors a numerical rating of importance.

"Being there" for kids is, I believe, quite relative. No accusation here, just raising the question. I see some kids whose parents are working at the school and it really causes "problems." It's not always the parent's fault, either. I've seen teachers handle discipline issues differently because "Mom works here." Many will admit it. That's not fair to the kids... There's truly a balance in this that can be difficult to maintain... we want to protect and nurture but we also need to encourage independence.

I had a conversation just yesterday initiated by a student who is struggling with an issue (not something that requires reporting). Her Mom works at our school. She began the conversation with me by saying that everyone at school who knows about it has already told her Mom. She (student) is a bit frustrated that it's "out of her hands." I suspect the tellers are well-intentioned, but it would not have happened that way if Mom wasn't quite so accessible.

Trade-offs and compromises.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Thank You!
Old 06-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you both for your feedback. Right now if I have to sub to be home for them I'm thinking about taking one of the two secondary buildings so I can be on a similar work schedule, but not in their building. (My husband will be able to put them on the bus, although I want to be there for their first day!) For one, I am a secondary teacher, so it would be more logical for me based on what I'm qualified to do. For another, I want to give my kids some space. Because the job market is being flooded here right now with unemployed teachers (many layoffs) with a very real lack of jobs, subbing long term secondary would be the best way to keep the schedule but keep out of the elementary building. However, if something else came along somewhere else (with benefits) where I could be home when they are I'd probably take that over anything else. And I am still looking. (We don't do daycare, babysitters, or nannies and grandma and grandpas live too far away.) But if it comes down to the brass tacks of desperation, then I will probably be a building sub in the HS or MS. I'm going to only enter the elementary next year when need be as "mommy" not "teacher". It's a transition year for sure, but no matter what, I will be home for my kids when they need me and there's no way around that.

Last edited by mommysubs; 06-09-2018 at 02:52 PM..
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

You're welcome!
Old 06-10-2018, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sounds like you've about got it figured out! I would only add that I think it's possible to be "in the building" with the kids -- even as a sub -- without hazard or harm, but it does take some effort.

It sounds, however, that all things considered long-term secondary is a good choice. And I'm sure you know, "Nothing is forever..." You may find other options coming your way...

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote