Help

ESL/LEP

Scheduling around a.m. specials

>

Mara Jade

Scheduling around a.m. specials
Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a Kindergarten teacher. I am going to be teaching an ELL class for the first time this year. This means that I must get in 4 hours a day of English Language Development teaching. This year they have turned our schedule around such that specials for Kinders are in the a.m. We start school at 8:00 and specials are from 8:50-9:20. We go to lunch at 10:50, and dismiss school at 2:55 (2:50 for bus riders). So knowing that and knowing it takes a lot of time walking kids to specials and back (at least 10 minutes each way), does anyone have an idea how I can schedule the time I need for the language stuff. The problem comes in that for Kinders learning best takes place in the a.m. So now our mornings are so broken it's difficult to see how this will work.

Any ideas will be helpful. My schedule must include 4 hours English language development.

Thanks,

Mara Jade

Mara Jade is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Mara Jade
Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I guess I don't understand the schedule you will have.
You will have Kindergarten ELL class or you will have Kindergarten class with ELL students that are required to receive 4 hours a day of ELD?
Is it full day Kindergarten?

I would include lots of stories with repetitive words, bingo games, listening to stories on tape, chants and fingerplays and nursery rhymes, games...go to the website by Elizabeth Claire called Everything ESL for more ideas.

I would "instruct" in small blocks of time, ten minutes here and there. kindergarten children learn to speak English quickly! Does the 4 hours also include reading and writing? That can be combined with your "regular" instruction.

Another area of instruction is through themes. If you are teaching science or social studies use picture cards or sentence frames to help students learn vocabulary.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote