ESL/LEP

SIOP Training?

>

Love2teach715

SIOP Training?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

This will be my 5th year teaching, but I recently moved to a different county and was hired to teach an ELL class of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. They will be coming to me for Social Studies in thier native language, where I would intergrate Reading and Language Arts. This will be my first experience with this type of class, especially since I've only taught K and 1st grade before, but I am ready for the challenge and the new experience.

Has anyone ever been to a SIOP training and if so, what should I expect? Will my experience as a K and 1st grade teacher help me in anyway?

Thank you in advance for you help!! Any additional comments regarding this position will be greatly appreciated

Love2teach715 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Siop
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

(sheltered instruction, observation protocol) for the most part, called "sheltered instruction". (the OP part is for observing teaching and checking to make sure all components are there.)

i've been through the first 3 phases of SIOP training. expect (if yours is anything like mine) to have fun and learn lots of neat stuff! we do a lot of "foldables", hands-on activities, groupings, getting up and moving around.

i'll bet with your primary training, you'll "get" a lot of this easily. basically, you're looking at a way to make information more "comprehensible" to learners. how to we get them to understand it? ***SIOP techniques help ALL kids learn, not just ELLs.

a lot of the time, we go over information that we already know good teachers utilize, but we forget stuff! lots of VISUALS--how can we show kids what things mean? (like making posters that say "here" and "there" and holding the here at the front of classroom and there out in the hall.

SIOP is good stuff--you'll enjoy it!

PM me if you have further questions, especially during or after your training. (i see you need a few more posts to be able to PM...)

*i found your OP when i accidentally looked for "New" posts--i don't generally wander into the ESL board!
tia is online now   Reply With Quote

Love2teach715

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much!! I think I found you when I did an archive search for SIOP. Your posting gives me alot of tranquility. I have been a bit scared of the transition, but you have made me feel a little more at ease.

So how long is this training, b/c my principal advised I should be done with it before school starts?

Thanks again, and yes, I don't even know what PM is!! I religiously log on to Proteacher but I like to read others postings, they are very helpful and have helped me in many ways!!
Love2teach715 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Siop
Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

PM is "private messaging"--so you can find a member that you want to talk to, click on their username and see the choice "private message"--this way you can leave them messages for only them to see--rather than continuing to post on an old thread someone won't see or titling a post on the BusyBoard "post for Fred", hoping they'll see it.

you are officially able to PM! (i know because i clicked on your name and it allowed me to PM you--which i will do so you get to use it!) before you've been around long enough, people can't PM you, and you can't PM them.

not sure on the length of your training. (i know that around here, 1 credit = 15 hours) so, my SIOP training has always been 2 full days. but they aren't boring!
tia is online now   Reply With Quote

PanchaO

Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

But what I don't understand is that you say that you will be teaching in their native language, which I assume is Spanish. SIOP is Sheltered English and native language is usally not used.

PanchaO is offline   Reply With Quote

cds

Siop
Old 07-25-2008, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Buy the book Making Content Comprehensible for English learners:The SIOP Model by Jana Echevarria, Mary Ellen Vogt, Deborah J short. I just attended a SIOP training and it's all about best practices that you would do for K-2 when learning how to read. Good luck!
cds is offline   Reply With Quote