Help

The VENT

Perfectly Beautiful Classrooms

>

cutecat

Perfectly Beautiful Classrooms
Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an older teacher....I will admit! My classroom materials have been well loved and well used but I continue to decorate my classroom in a way that will welcome twenty-five energetic first graders and be kid-friendly. What continues to perplex me is more and more classrooms for little ones look like they should be on the cover of "Classroom Beautiful". Everything matches in perfect combinations of borders and background papers. My Facebook is being overtaken with photos of everyone's "favorite spots" in the classroom and special lighting touches with framed art hanging on the walls. The classrooms are gorgeous and I am envious and all I can think is how will the classrooms look after the kids are there for five minutes? I wish I could hire an interior classroom designer....I do....but then the students will arrive...all 25 of them. I guess we will just enjoy our classroom, have fun learning and remember that first grade gets messy and unorganized at times and that's ok!

cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-07-2018, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hear you. I look at these classrooms and itís like, ďholy smokesĒ. I also think with social media itís become a ďKeeping up with the Joneses; Teacher EditionĒ type thing. I have no desire to do that. Iím very lucky that Iím on a team that doesnít play that game either.

I actually think all of that stuff is somewhat over stimulating. To each her own.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm getting tired of seeing pictures like this. I have to wonder if these teachers are decorating their rooms like that for their students, or are they doing it to show off on social media. I am very organized and I have a color theme throughout my classroom, but so many of these pictures are completely over the top.
I had to work for a principal last year who insisted everything in our classroom had to be brand new and look like the pictures she saw on the internet. She would even attach pictures of "perfect" classrooms to her emails in order to inspire us. In her eyes you were a bad teacher if so much as a pencil was on the floor when she entered the room. Shaking my head.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-07-2018, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I’ve gotten several comments about my classroom this year that I’m not sure how to take.
  • I don’t have time to have a Pinterest classroom.
  • It must be nice to have time and money for this.
  • Kids learn just as well in a less fancy classroom.
  • I like being organized, but not like this.

Yard sales, Walmart, and dollar stores for things I buy. School funds for instructional items. Fourth year with the same color scheme, and I’m going to try my darndest to use it until I retire. (Between 3 & 8 years, depending on when I decide to leave.) I label everything, but I also own a Cricut. All my labels cost about $3 and my time. Not everything lasts all year, but 100 people in and out of a room every day for 180 days wears on it. I spent probably between 18 and 24 hours of time in my room, and part of that was even doing stuff like cleaning out desk drawers and working on curriculum, not even making my room “Pinteresty”.

I decorated classrooms before social media was a thing. I’m old.

I don't come from money. I had a work-phobic, money-sucking EX for many years. I was single for many years. I've been in a two-teacher household for two years now. Unless one of us wins the lottery, which we don't even play, we won't have money.

I don't post my room on social media for admiration. I just take lost of photos and post a lot of stuff because . . . well, it's not exactly social media if I'm not going to be social.

Some of my co-workers come in super early, stay really late, or take work home every night. Not me. I like my down time. That doesn't mean that I'm going to make snarky comments about those who do. Their time is theirs to do with what they please. Same with my classroom.

I have told people I’d seriously consider having an organization & decorating business for classrooms when I retire. Now, if you want a theme or something very elementary, you're out of luck because that's not my area of expertise. However, if you want storage, organization, labels, and coordinating colors, I'm your girl.

Last edited by Ima Teacher; 08-08-2018 at 01:47 PM..
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 08-07-2018, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I’ve gotten several comments about my classroom this year that I’m not sure how to take.
Your classroom always looks great. You can tell that your room is neat, organized, and most important - functional. There is some design, but it's not overbearing. In your setting, I think you probably see less ofasthe dressup than in an elementary school. Some middle and high school teachers consider "setting up [their] room" as taking the stapler out of the box and crookedly hanging a poster of classroom rules.

TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-07-2018, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
What continues to perplex me is more and more classrooms for little ones look like they should be on the cover of "Classroom Beautiful".
Quote:
I have to wonder if these teachers are decorating their rooms like that for their students, or are they doing it to show off on social media.
Some people enjoy doing that kind of thing. Some do not. It's okay if you want to let your inner interior decorator out to play in the classroom, and it's okay if you do not even have an inner interior decorator.

I'm sure some are running themselves ragged for social media likes, but not all of them are. Some just like doing it.

Quote:
I don’t have time to have a Pinterest classroom.
It must be nice to have time and money for this.
Kids learn just as well in a less fancy classroom.
I like being organized, but not like this.
I think these comments are all rude and say more about the insecurity of the speaker than about you.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 08-07-2018, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just lived this one. What to some is beautiful and inviting to others is busy and over stimulating. You do you, and Iíll do me. Just for all things holy stop publishing you on social media because ďyouĒ is trending and it places unrealistic, untenable expectations on ďme.Ē
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I have to wonder if these teachers are decorating their rooms like that for their students, or are they doing it to show off on social media.
I really think they're doing it to replace the creativity that used to be so much a part of teaching. I think the new trend toward scripted curriculum bores a lot of people, and they need a creative outlet, so decorating helps. It gives a personal feeling to each classroom, even if you're expected to teach "the same thing, on the same day, in the same way."
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

No Pinterest rooms for us!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We are expected to build our classrooms with the kids. My classroom will be neat and organized, but anything hanging up (besides the alphabet and number chart) needs to be made with the kids or by the kids. Our new P last year praised the classroom of the teacher who decorated nothing, but instead hung up the paper anchor charts done with the kids.

Lesson learned- keep it simple!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-08-2018, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Been at this for 33 years. I don't do the cutesy/pinterest thing at all. I have only been on Pinterest a couple of times because I find it just overwhelming haha.

After several visits from the fire department and code violations we are not allowed to have any sort of lamps , fabric chairs, bean bags or other things that would make a classroom feel homey.

We are only allowed to cover 20% of our walls with stuff ( but they still want a million anchor charts. ) That doesn't mean that some people still don't try to have these things, but we have gotten written up for it.

Four or five years ago when Walmart had their bright neon crates I bought about 15 of them to use as storage on top of my cabinets and coat rack. I also bought a bunch of small ones for my classroom library to sort the books by genres. I also have bright colored baskets around my room for papers and to organize my different teaching materials. That brought color to my room + instant organization. That's the extent of my decorating or theme

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 08-08-2018, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

12 years in, and I set up my room completely in about 4 hours this week with my husband's help. We have a 7 month old, so my priorities of spending time decorating my classroom have definitely changed. I've always had a comfy, well-decorated classroom, but the past few years I've slowly been paring down to just the things I love.

My principal walked in as I was finishing up, just to say hi, and commented that my classroom always looked good, but now it looked really "streamlined". I hadn't thought of it that way, but as soon as she said it I thought yes - that is EXACTLY what I want my classroom to be. When she left, I stood in the middle of the room and looked around, then picked about 4 things to take OFF the walls - random college pendants I don't love, a weird hanging stuffed monkey from a student multiple years ago...

So while I still have my twinkle lights, framed art, lamps, and rugs, STREAMLINED is the name of the game for me.
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Moving rooms
Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

With the little amount of time set aside for us to work in our rooms outside of meetings and having to take a day off to move my child to college, I may still be unpacking boxes during Open House. Cíest la vie
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

There are studies that suggest....
Old 08-08-2018, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

...what I've always suspected, which is that classroom decorations can actively detract from learning. I honestly think it's a little absurd that elementary classrooms have to have themes and color schemes and that teachers have to purchase the materials for this out of their own pockets.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

A peaceful room
Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My assistant P last year said she really liked my room because it was peaceful. My grade level partner has lots and lots of stuff in her room. Being in the same room for many years without a lot of purging has lead to a lot of accumulation on her part.

I moved around quite a bit for several years and have pared down some of my things. One thing that I am really glad that I did was to have the bulk of my book containers white. That has certainly helped for me.

Everyone likes different things, but I know when I step in my partner's room, I feel stress from all of the stuff she has in there.

Last edited by letsgomets; 08-09-2018 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: Oops! I missed a possessive noun!
letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 08-08-2018, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
all I can think is how will the classrooms look after the kids are there for five minutes?
You said what I was thinking!!
My room isn't colorful but it is color coordinated and that stands out and people notice that. Our p wants us to be very primary color themed. However , all these colors and decorations are nice but they can be overstimulating to many students!
I
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 08-08-2018, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
Everyone likes different things, but I know when I step in my partners room, I feel stress from all of the stuff she has in there.
Yes, and so do lots of the kids! (Sorry, I read this after I posted below you)
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
SheilaTubman

SheilaTubman

Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I understand not everyone wants to do matching colors, etc., and no one needs to. But I think thereís a bigger trend here going on where teachers bash other teachers for doing ďtoo much,Ē with their color schemes and rugs. A color scheme doesnít really mean someone spent a bunch of money - itís the same cost to buy all blue borders as it is to buy different one so. I personally like the look of a color scheme because my eye isnít being drawn in a million directions at once.

Of course I donít think a teacher has to do one, or has to have fancy flexible seating or all white, wooden furniture from the flea market. But I also donít think thereís any reason to try to bring others down for doing that. I like to do fancy bulletin boards and other teachers are always giving me passive aggressive hints about how it annoys them. ďOh, I wish I had time to spend on bulletin boards like that, but I have work to do.Ē Itís just something I make time for - no need to suggest that I am putting work aside, I find time for both because I enjoy it.

all41

My Classroom
Old 08-08-2018, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I do have a very organized, cozy, comfortable classroom. But, it is also has a purpose - a space used by children to support their learning. It reflects that purpose.

During the school year I spend more awake hours in my classroom than I do at home so I want it to be a place I enjoy being in. But that is me, you do you. I do not have a 'pinterest' room. It does not have a theme. I DO choose organizational items in a common color scheme to keep the feeling of being planned and organized. My room is neat, organized, clutter free, clean and a welcoming place to learn and explore.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
really think they're doing it to replace the creativity that used to be so much a part of teaching. I think the new trend toward scripted curriculum bores a lot of people, and they need a creative outlet, so decorating helps. It gives a personal feeling to each classroom, even if you're expected to teach "the same thing, on the same day, in the same way."
I think this is a really good point.

I also agree with the PPs who are disturbed by the trend of bashing teachers who decorate. I see the same thing with moms who plan parties or decorate for the holidays. These are visually attractive hobbies, so they tend to highlight well on social media. But that doesnít make them wrong or attention grabbers.

The snarky ďI wish I had time for thatĒ comments are rude, imo.

Gromit

Old 08-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I have told people Iíd seriously consider having an organization & decorating business for classrooms when I retire.
I would seriously hire you. I would pay hundreds of dollars for someone to come in and organize and set up my classroom attractively. It would be worth it because I could keep the organization system from then on.

seenthelight

Old 08-08-2018, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I, for one am not talking about color schemes. I donít really care if your room matches. I have plenty of coworkers who have beautiful rooms that I love. What Iím talking about is the every square inch decorated, loft, bean bag mega Pinterest classroom, people hired to come in and design it classrooms.

I donít consider that bashing. You like it? Awesome. Just please donít post it all over the place especially when you have parents on your social media. They see it, admin sees it, and then it becomes an expectation for all of us, and that doesnít work for me. I donít come from money. I donít have a husband that makes 6 figures a year. I canít afford to hire help (and yes, Iíve see it done...not only for set up, but throughout the year as basically a classroom housekeeper/personal assistant situation coming every afternoon after school). I also canít afford all that furniture and all of those decorations.

It also doesnít work for a lot of kids. They get distracted. Itís adorable, but too busy for poor Johnny and his ADHD.

Yet, when you show it off the parents see it and comment how inviting it is, how homey it it, how lucky your kids are to be in YOUR room, and as those comments roll in admin takes note.

So no, I have no problem with you doing it. Like I said, you do you, and Iíll do me. Where I take issue is in the posting and boasting and making it look like a piece of cake because you just love the kids so much. I take issue because it then becomes my problem.

Gromit

Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

So people can only post photographs of things that make them happy if you are also willing and able to do these things?

If you teach well and donít have insane administrators, no one cares what the room looks like. If you have insane administrators, it would be something else if it wasnít this.

seenthelight

Old 08-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I liken it to the coworker that is always skipping lunch to do things with the kids, or the coworker that is always volunteering to give up their planning time, or that coworker that is there from 5am to 10pm. Sometimes our behavior as teachers sets unrealistic expectations on our coworkers. Perhaps, youíre right and it has to do with them type of admin you have, but around here it turns into a problem. As I said, Iím not working to entertain myself. There is no 6 figure spouse, and no family money. I can not hire someone to come do my room and to be in there every afternoon doing my grading and changing out my bulletin boards or adding even more on to my over the top classroom, nor can I afford the supplies involved in doing that kind of thing. Iíve seen the receipts. Itís a lot of money. Yet, it becomes the expectation.

Parents see it as a show of your love and commitment to their children. They gush over how ďinvitingĒ and ďhomeyĒ it looks, and we all know that it doesnít take a crazy admin to respond to what the parents like.

Furthermore, at least in my case, there is no mention of the hired assistant that is showing up every afternoon. You know the one that works in these classrooms while weíre at PD? It is made to seem as though everything was the teacher, and it quickly turns into if Mrs. So and so can do it, you can to.

Overlightnes

Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I think the bigger issue is when people start to get nasty about what other people do. If it makes someone happy, it really is no business of yours. Let people do what they want. If they want to decorate, great! If they don't want to decorate, great!

If you're worried about what people say about this or that, maybe you need to develop some inner-confidence so you're not shaken by what other people say and do.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-08-2018, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I don't have an eye for decorating at all, and refuse to spend my own money on school things anymore, so "pinterest" rooms definitely aren't happening for me! I do like a clean and organized look though. Some of the themes are over the top and distracting for kids.

If someone enjoys decorating, more power to them, but what I don't like is when it becomes an expectation- especially the spending your own money part. At my current school it's never been a big deal.

At my previous school, both my P and AP made several negative comments on walkthroughs about my classroom not being decorated enough or not being "inviting enough." It's not like it was bare- I had paper and border on all of my bulletin boards- student work up, anchor charts, behavior charts, etc. IMO penalizing me for not having an overly decorated room was completely inappropriate.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 08-08-2018, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Agreed Haley. My room is decorated, but it's completely homemade stuff, with materials available in our workroom, because I'm too cheapo to spend my own money. I found some cute border at the teacher store for 99 cents the other day, so I stocked up on that. But I did turn in my receipt. Also I let the kids decorate the walls and windows with their artwork. I think it looks cute and I'm happy with it. That's all that matters to me.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-08-2018, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Some women see this as a competition in the same way that clothing is . This behavior is insecure behavior. This is not true for everyone who has the "Pinterest classroom." Some do it for themselves because they want to make it nice due to the number of hours they spend in the room. Some do the decor because they see it as important for the kids. Kids do appreciate an inviting atmosphere. Some teachers do not put much up in the room and that should be ok too. I was a teacher coach for several years and found ,to no surprise, that decor has nothing to do with teacher effectiveness.

I do my room in an inviting way and find no shame in doing so.I simply enjoy doing it. I haven't spent money on it for several years though.

Last edited by anna; 08-08-2018 at 06:28 PM..
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Zulbi

Donít take it for granted
Old 08-09-2018, 12:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

In title one schools we have homeless students, students who live in a car. It’s my upmost duty as a human to give them comfort. Things you and I take for granted like seating on a sofa , small things like that they don’t get to do. I would love to do more for them but right now all I can give them is a comfortable classroom, maybe for the few hours that they are in my classroom they will have a classroom that feels like home, a sofa to stretch on and beautiful wall decor to look at. Yes, it doesn’t improve academic growth, yes, it doesn’t help them meet their multiplication goals or reading goals. But surely, it puts their heart and mind at ease. I ask that you don’t judge others. To you it may seem like they are doing it to show off but there might be a deeper reason why. Or maybe they don’t have any deep reasons either ways it’s their classroom. And yours is yours!

Last edited by Zulbi; 08-09-2018 at 01:15 AM..
Zulbi is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Classroom beautiful
Old 08-09-2018, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I spent just as much time in my classroom as I do at home .
I want it to be someplace I enjoy spending time . Each year I add to my collection. iIf you were to walk in you might think how did I afford everything I have? I have slowly added it . This years addiion is the 4 tall barstools for an alternative seating area.

This is year 30 for me
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 08-09-2018, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Javamama, I was like that too! I spent SO much time in my classroom and wanted to enjoy the surroundings. So, I developed a forest theme for the room and kept it until I retired. I would add items each year and the students/ parents began to gift me things to decorate.

I found that keeping one theme released me from the beginning of the year issues of decorating.

Now that I'm retired, I strongly advise teachers to spend as little money and effort as they can on these endeavors. I wish I had adopted this policy from day one. Your retirement account will thank you!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Decorated rooms
Old 08-09-2018, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

It makes me so sad to see fellow teachers raining on other teacher's hard work and happiness. I love how they love their job and their kids and want to show off their craftiness in creating a happy place.

When I taught 1st grade I had a new theme each year, partially funded by the school with a lot of time, effort and creativity by me. It wasn't over the top but cute.

Now I teach upper elementary. My room is homey with a farmhouse theme. I spend around $20 a year on decorations. I set my room up in 2 hours. I spend much more on my lessons and supplies.

I still appreciate the cute lower elementary classrooms and go door to door and compliment them each year.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Quote:
Sometimes our behavior as teachers sets unrealistic expectations on our coworkers.
Yes, this is what sets up the conflict. And expectations are already unrealistic, IMHO. I just saw a local news segment in which a school administrator was talking about how the state sales tax holiday was a good time for parents to buy school supplies but that if purchasing the "extras" that aren't covered in the sales tax holiday (kleenex, zip-loc bags, anti-bacterial wipes, etc.) was too financially taxing, with everything else that had to be bought, that parents could wait and give that stuff as a Christmas gift to their teacher. In the same segment they interviewed a couple of teachers, with shopping carts piled high, who gushed about how great it was to not have to pay sales tax on the stuff they were buying for their classroom. Of course, schools are sales tax exempt, so this was clearly all stuff they were purchasing out-of-pocket.

Now, I don't think kids should have to gift their teachers at Christmas, or any other time, but I resent the idea that buying kleenex for the classroom is a gift to the teacher. I think that teachers have been manipulated into accepting these ridiculous expectations in the vain hope that parents and communities will begin to respect teachers again. But I don't think it really works that way. And I think that every teacher who falls for this type of manipulation makes it tough on those who don't. Not only that but I have been judged and gossiped about by teachers who felt that I didn't spend enough of my own money or spend enough unpaid time decorating my room.

It's not that I've never purchased anything out-of-pocket for my classroom but if I do I know why I'm doing it and how it's going to enhance learning. For the most part, the community doesn't even realize what I bought on my own. I don't do it to impress parents - those same parents who gripe about having to buy expo markers, highlighters and post-it notes along with the "extras" but who sure don't want to pay one single penny more in taxes to finance schools. IMHO, if parents want homey, inviting, themed and color-coordinated classrooms, they should be willing to pay the property taxes to finance that stuff rather than just assuming that teachers will take care of it. I mean, maybe all those Pinterest classrooms are in states that finance public education or in private schools, but I doubt it.

(Sorry, this turned into a rant.)
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

campy

Seems like a touchy subject
Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

but here's my two cents:
I personally cannot stand an overly decorated classroom. I feel like there is no "safe" place to look. I get overwhelmed with too many colors and stuff for stuffs sake. Kids should help create what is on the walls and a completely decorated "perfect" classroom only shows that YOU can do it better without them. RANT OVER. Not sorry it's MO.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

interesting perspectve
Old 08-10-2018, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

My daughter ( diagnosed ADD) when she was younger would help me in the classroom once a week. I remember being on multiple adoption committees for math and she would always downgrade the textbooks because she said they had way too many distractions on the pages that took away from the actual lesson or focus on the page. She said the pages were way to busy for her to concentrate on and she was happy her books didn't have all those distractions (photos that had nothing to do with the lesson) . I think the same goes for the layout in the classroom. Some children feel over stimulated while others might enjoy it. I have done both and I get easily overwhelmed and agitated myself when I have to much "stuff" up whether it is all student work or not.
luvtulearn is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I think
Old 08-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

we all have different ideas on what a "perfectly beautiful" classroom is and what it looks like. And we all have different ideas on what an "over the top" classroom looks like. For some of us, the dividing line between perfectly beautiful and over the top comes at different places.

I had many compliments on my classroom over the years, usually about how colorful and inviting it was. Twelve years in the same classroom gives you lots of time to develop a look and an organization that works for you. I've never posted a picture of my classroom because it certainly wasn't Pinterest beautiful and was never going to be pinterest beautiful. Frankly, I don't think you can get those sorts of rooms unless you teach in those sorts of schools. (Recently built, newer and matching desks and chairs, lots of space, etc.)

Those of us with crowded rooms designed in the 60s, with scratched linoleum or patched rugs, cinderblock walls painted ten years ago, old scrounged up furniture from several schools, chalkboards instead of whiteboards, not enough outlets or storage, no windows, and Heat/AC piping all over the place just have to do the best we can.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

SheilaTubman

Old 08-11-2018, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I think you are right, PrivateEyes. I think we are also talking about different things when it comes to these classrooms. Iím picturing the classrooms with black and white color schemes (which really appeal to me to look at). The reason I like them is BECAUSE theyíre less cluttered and there arenít a million decorations everywhere. But others are talking about these classrooms like they are more cluttered which is confusing to me.

Btw Iím moving to a new school that was built two years ago and the classrooms are smaller than any Iíve ever seen. Thereís no place for any room to have a carpet for read alouds (kids have to stay at their desk), let alone couches and armchairs and little bistro tables for two. I wish I was staying in my very old building.
SheilaTubman is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Quote:
I canít afford to hire help (and yes, Iíve see it done...not only for set up, but throughout the year as basically a classroom housekeeper/personal assistant situation coming every afternoon after school). I also canít afford all that furniture and all of those decorations.

I cannot imagine this is very common. I've never heard of a teacher hiring a daily housekeeper/decorator.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 08-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Youíd think so, but I know more than one.

apple annie

Old 08-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I have a daily housekeeper in my classroom. His name is Custodian. And he's awesome!
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Every Friday my room gets a cleanup. Desks cleaned. Shelves dusted. Bookshelves straightened. Desks straightened. Boards erased.

And best of all, itís free. Children do great work.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 08-11-2018, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Yup. Mine are called custodian and volunteer parents. What Iím talking about is paying someone to come in and do your laminating, your grading, fix your desk when itís cluttered, prep materials for the next dayís lesson, change out your bulletin boards, create displays, set up your classroom at the beginning of year, break it down at the end, etc. Going rate seems to be $50 a day. Easy to have a perfect classroom when someone else is doing it for you and youíre just supplying materials.

I also want to set the record straight. I like a nicely, decorated, inviting classroom. I myself have a theme and am even changing it up to not bore the kids this year. However, I donít think every square inch of the classroom should be covered in decor, to me thatís not inviting, itís busy. Weíve all walked into the classroom where you donít know where to look. I as an adult get sensory overload in some of these classrooms and end up with a migraine. I canít imagine the poor ADHD kid. I can think of a couple of years where Iíve had kids that would have melted down in that environment.

Nor do I think it takes $250 a week + the cost of materials to be inviting. If thatís your idea of inviting more power to you, but please donít flaunt it or at the very least own up to how much it cost you. When you flaunt it and you make it seem like a piece of cake, a labor of love for your students, then it makes it seem like the rest of us care less.

Also for those who brought up this particular point, I am in no way insecure in my abilities. Silly me to think my adminís expectations matter, and to be peeved by people making those expectations unrealistic. I want to focus on my students and their learning not being Pinterest worthy, and I think I accomplish that on a daily basis. Scratch that, I know I do, and I do it in a nice classroom even it doesnít contend for lifestyles of the rich and famous.

anna

Old 08-12-2018, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

When I first started teaching I worked with a teacher who hired a retired teacher who came most afternoons to clean up,do record keeping and re do boards. Whatever the classroom teacher needed help with got done.Honestly that sounds pretty good to me but I don't want to spend the money.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 08-13-2018, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

In my mind, if I hang up butcher paper, a border, AND die cut letters made from the die cut machine in the media center on the one bulletin board I have in my room, then I consider that a win .
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

gofourth

I totally agree
Old 08-14-2018, 11:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I am one of those people who enjoys having a theme when I start the beginning of the year. This year the colors happen to be navy blue and green. I collect a variety of things I already own and use them to pull it together. It is something I do because it is relaxing and since I spend so much time in the classroom with my kiddos, it might as well be pleasant and comfortable. I don't do it to show up anyone else, nor does it bother me if others choose not to do it. I also love to do bulletin boards and change them often. I have 4. The kids are in charge of 2 and I am in charge of two. If their lettering is a little crooked or the things they hang up aren't quite straight, so be it. On "mine", I use my Cricut to cut letters in 3 layers and do some quite detailed bulletin boards when I want.

There is no reason to assume I am not teaching because I have a nice bulletin board or a color coordinated room. It seems to me that we have way too many experts these days on how everything should be across the board. The last thing we need is to criticize others based on how classrooms look. As long as the rooms serve the students appropriately, I say decorate as you wish. Life is too short to worry about every little thing
gofourth is offline   Reply With Quote

MsOwl100

Classroom prettiness
Old 08-16-2018, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I sort of get you. I teach in a middle school and some of my coworkers have absolutely gorgeous classrooms. I love a pretty classroom. Not overly decorated, but inviting and comfortable. I really do try to make my room semi-attractive. However, I teach emotional support. That means I have a small room. I also have to remember that it is a good possibility somebody will have a really bad day and something will get drawn on, torn down, crumpled up or broken. It happens. I buy most stuff at The Dollar Tree just because I refuse to spend a lot of money on something that will quite possibly get broken. I stick with color schemes, and not so much THEME.
MsOwl100 is offline   Reply With Quote