Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

molar pregnancy?- tmi

>

Krielyteacher

molar pregnancy?- tmi
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I found out that I was pregnant and am 5 1/2 weeks along according to my dates. I had some brown discharge when I woke up Wednesday morning and went into the dr to have an HCG level checked. It was way too high. It was 12000 when the highest it should be is 10000. I've been researching high hcg levels and have come up with three possibilities:
1. mulitiples (the nurse said this is unlikely because they are not high enough)
2. molar pregnancy
3. miscalculated dates

I'm so nervous. I go in the morning to have an ultrasound to see which of the three it is.
Has anyone gone through this before?

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-04-2009, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am so sorry you are having to live with this worry tonight. I am praying for you and your unborn baby as we speak. Please let us know what they say tomorrow.

Nancy

Swtogirl

Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I haven't had experience with this, but I pray that you and your doc figure out what's up and that the baby is OK.

TuesdayBear

Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have not gone through this particular situation, but as I had a risk of ectopic pregnancy with my most recent pregnancy, I know what it's like to obsess over hcg levels. I'm very sorry you are in this situation.

Please check out this website. I've posted links below. It has hcg charts for successful pregnancies that include outliers. At 5 1/2 weeks gestation, I figure you're around 25 dpo (3 1/2 weeks past ovulation), and the highest level reported for that is 36,984. Most hcg charts just present averages and don't account for outliers (and many, many women have outlier hcg numbers and end up with healthy babies). This site may help give you some peace of mind. I know it helped me.

The median for multiples reported at your approximate gestation was 8,938. Personally, I feel that your nurse is off and had no business saying what she said about your numbers not being high enough for multiples. There is a wide range of hcg rates.

Please, try not to worry tonight. Your chances are very good that this pregnancy is okay. As for the brown discharge, that could be old blood and very normal. I've known several women (including myself) who have had that and had normal pregnancies.

I'm saying prayers for you and sending happy vibes your way. Also, keep in mind that at 5 1/2 weeks, they may not be able to see anything with an abdominal ultrasound. Request a transvaginal if they can't find anything. I did that with my son at 5 weeks gestation, and it was well worth the effort. They only saw an empty sac with the abdominal, but a fetal pole with the transvaginal.

http://www.betabase.info
http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single
http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Twin

libarra1

I had a molar pregnancy
Old 06-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

however my levels were low and eventually had to have a DNC. I hope this is not the case for you. Good luck.

Sariana

H C G
Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Of the three possibilities you mention, the third is by far the most likely. I agree with the PP who said the nurse was out of line saying anything to you about multiples. Of course it is possible, though odds are against it.

Molar pregnancies are very rare. Just from a statistical standpoint, this is unlikely.

Miscalculated dates, OTOH, are very common. In fact, I think most people are probably off on their dates.

I hope you get good news tomorrow. If the news is not so good, your PT family will be here for you. But remember, odds are in your favor.

mossgirl9

Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hope everything works out for you and your baby. You are both in my prayers tonight.

Krielyteacher

Old 06-05-2009, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you so much for all of your prayers. I am sitting here wishing the dr office would be open right now! I will do the transvaginal u/s so hopefully we will find good news.
Tuesday Bear Thankyou! You have made me feel much better.

I will update when I return.

NiCole80

hugs
Old 06-05-2009, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wish you the best of luck today at the dr. I had the opposite problem and my numbers were low so I know what it is like to obsess about everything. I will be praying for you.

Krielyteacher

update
Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

well, they couldn't tell me ANYTHING! I was too early. No heartbeat or anything. I did have a sac and what looked like a circle inside of it. I guess that is good. The ultrasound tech said they really couldn't tell if it is a molar pregnancy or not. It's definatley not multiples! She did tell me that everything looked normal for 5 weeks. I go back on the 16th.

love5th

my blood
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Was taken at 6 weeks and it was 29000...why do you think 12000 is too high for 5.5 weeks? My docs weren't concerned at all. I'm 9.5 weeks now and we've seen the heartbeat so everything seems to be going well. Hopefully everything will work our for you...i'm sure it will! : )

carr528

Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I had spotting at 6 weeks, it took the tech forever to find a heartbeat. She told me six weeks is the absolute earliest she was ever able to find one. (I was 6 weeks to the day of the ultrasound.)

Good luck on the 16th! Trust me, you've entered motherhood now, that state of constant worry that never ends! It's a wonderful place to be.

mossgirl9

Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Whew! Sounds pretty good. I was thinking of you all day today and couldn't wait to get on PT to find out an update. I will keep you in my prayers.

Chocchip

molar pregnancy
Old 06-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I, too, had a molar pregnancy 24 years ago.... I know how hard it is to wait for results.... you are in my thoughts.

Krielyteacher

levels
Old 06-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

love5th- I was tested a couple of days ago when I was 5 weeks 2 days. The range is only up to around 7000. So the nurses told me it was high. I looked up sonograms on the internet for 5 weeks and they look just like what I saw today on the screen! So I hope all is well. I guess the only thing I can do is worry, and what good is that going to do!

love5th

I know!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It can be a stressful time, because you know there is something growing inside that you can't see. It is easy to "overinform" yourself and freak yourself out. With my first I did that all the time, and I was the most neurotic person ever for months. This time I promised myself I would try to stay calm and trust things would work out. No internet for me! Like other posters have said the odds are in your favor. Usually what happens is everything turns out fine, and then I'm upset with myself for wasting my time with worry. Keep us updated, and I pray you have a happy and healthy 8 more months!