Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Sick - missing the last two days of school

>

Margaret916

Sick - missing the last two days of school
Old 06-17-2009, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, so I posted last week how I got sunburned. Then I posted about cough meds and nyquil. Felt waaaay worse yesterday and went back to the doc.

Turns out it is the flu. On Monday I went to the doctor and he said I had no fever, probably just a virus making me feel yucky and I was dehydrated. Sooo... rest, drink fluids and go to work as tolerated.

Went to school Tuesday, felt WORSE . Left at lunch time and went back to the doc -- did a flu swab, yep. It's the flu. Not sure what kind. We have a "probable" swine flu case in 2nd grad.e I've had 4 kids out Friday, 5 on Monday and 5 out yesterday plus 1 that went home.

Soooo, now I"m out for the next few days. I'm so sad though....I teach 6th grade, the last grade in our school. I will miss the end of the year and the 6th grade awards ceremony. I won't see my kids again since they will be in middle school next year.

I feel like a loser. I have been counting down to the end...but I don't want it to end like this! I want to say good bye to my kids!

I'm going in at night tonight to turn in my report cards (to have someone else hand out tomorrow). I will leave notes for the kids that I made for their end of the year letter...and write a note on the board asking them to sign my yearbook and telling them how sorry I am to miss the end of the year. Other suggestions to deal with this?

*sigh* I feel like such a whiner. Thanks for listening.

PEPteach

I'm sorry!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No advice, but that really stinks! Hope you feel better!

sbslab

how about a letter
Old 06-17-2009, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What if you typed a letter to put w/ each report card? You could do a general one wishing them all well next year and then add one personal comment & a closing if you felt up to it, or just a closing if you don't.

Get well soon!

stephanie

I feel your pain!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was out of school for two weeks in May and then went back for the last 4 days of school. I was in such pain (from a slipped disc) that I really didn't have much fun. We also have to pack everything in our classes for the summer - that was a eal challenge. I am sure that I did things that hurt my back even more! Now that I am past the end of the year, I can say, it probably wouldn't have mattered whether I was there for the entire day or not those last few days. Can you get a sub and then just show up for a visit so that you can say goodbye?

Margaret916

Unfortunately I'm contagious
Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sooo, I can't go in.

I did a comment book with the kids... They each wrote positive comments about each other, I compiled them and wrote my own letter on the other side.

I also have a note to parents for my end of the year thank you to give to them in their report cards.

Thanks for thinking of me!

renielen

Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't feel so bad! I missed the last month of school because I had knee surgery. I did go in the day before school ended. I was on crutches. I stayed for awhile and told the kids that I wouldn't be able to come back on the last day because I had to go to Physical therapy and they understood. They gave me the "Get well" cards that they made.

Is there anyway you can call and talk to each student on the phone while they are at school? When I was out, I would talk to my sub during school all the time and the kids would say Hi in the background. I think the letter is a good idea.

I hope you feel better soon!

TCHER5

I feel your pain...
Old 06-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

on the way into the auditorium for our fifth grade awards assembly, next to the last day of school, I fell down a flight of stairs. I was so embarrassed and in tremendous pain. The auditorium was full of students, parents and administration. I was taken to the hospital, xrayed, and had sprained my ankle. Needless to say I missed a very important day with my students, and the last day of school. I still feel so disconnected. I still need to go pack up my room. Margaret916 just hang in there...this too shall pass! Good luck and get well.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can understand how you might feel, but you are by no means a loser. You cannot help that you got sick. Write them a nice letter, or if you feel up to it, write each one a personal note and send them to the kids. I hope you feel better soon.

Nancy

suzyteach

So sorry
Old 06-17-2009, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

to hear you're sick, Margaret.

I know it is hard to miss the end, but, you must take care of yourself. You're not a loser, and you are doing the kids a favor by not exposing them to your germs.

I know how you feel, our last day is (finally!) tomorrow, and I've been fighting various bugs for a month. My husband doesn't understand why the end of the year is so important.

Stay home, rest, and stop beating yourself up.

Margaret916

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know I am doing the right thing staying home... but it stinks.

And I know it could be worse. It is summer now afterall... except for packing up my room next week!

For everyone else that is sick and hurt, good luck getting better!