Help

ARCHIVE

Mini-Memo Pad Idea

>

Tim

Mini-Memo Pad Idea
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a class set of mini-memo pads. I am trying to think of a way of using it. I handed them out to my students last year, just because I couldn't think of them and they used them for a variety of reasons. I would like to utilize them in my class this year. I was thinking as a place for them to record their vocabulary words. Possibly draw pictures to help them remember what the words mean. I would like to hear your input as to possible ways I can use them in my class.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

NC5th

Sticky notes
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As we are reading a story, I have students use them to make predictions or come up with questions to ask a partner. It keeps them involved in the reading more than if they were just listening.
NC5th is offline   Reply With Quote

cjn

Want to Read
Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My students used these to keep the list of books they were interested in reading. I had shown them that I have one in my purse and use it as I come across books or authors that I want to look into. Most of the children kept them in their binders and would take them to the media center on our checkout day. They got ideas from book talks, read alouds, etc. They seemed to like the idea that this is something people really do use --not just another assignment or thing to keep up with.
cjn is offline   Reply With Quote

Chick

Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A teacher at my school used them to keep running records & discuss reading problems with students (goal setting). The students kept the minis in their cubbies, and as the teacher met with reading groups...they brought the minis to the table , then returned them back to the cubbies after reading (these never went home). She always had access to reading progress & lesson planning for her students whenever needed.
Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

SUNI

Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Think Notes"
I cut 3x3 sticky notes in half and place them in a community area for student to get when needed to use while reading to record their questions, predictions, tricky or new words they wonder about, summaries or points of intrest to share from the text. We call them "think notes" and explicitly teach with mini lessons about how readers engage mentally and do not realize the silent "conversations" that occur and how it is important to leave "tracks" in our thinking to share with one another. In Guided Reading I insist that everyone have at least 3 - 5 think notes to share when we meet (this becomes a participation grade).

I also use sticky notes to have students interact with Q.A.R.(
Question/Answer Relationships) lessons from various genre (I generally use our monthly national geographic student magazine articles to expose them to nonfiction text and specific vocabulary). They ask questions before we read just by visual prompts (pictures, bold text...), during reading (their reactions to the text for new learning or asking questions for clarification) and after reading (what they are still curioius or wondering about that may lead to futher investigations for answers using other sources -internet, books from the library...). I often teach how our questions can be answered within the text or may not be answered at all. We then share questions and evaluate which area we would categorize the question in order to find the answer (In the Book or In Your Head). Great discussions to validate students thinking.

I have also pre-made questions about a topic we have learned about or text we are about to read. I hand out the questions, one to each student, then revisit the Q.A.R. chart which shows students that we get answers to our questions in two locations: 1)In the Book [(a) Right There or (b) Think and Search] or 2) In Your Head [(a) Author and Me or (b) On Your Own]. Students are to answer their questions then as a Whole group the student reads aloud their question and the answer they chose while stating where they would place the sticky note on the chart with rationale for their location. Powerful to affirm students learning or to support others who are struggling with strategy. The class helps one another through discussions upon whether they agree or disagree and state their own reasons to their thinking.

While reading your sourcebook if questioning is the strategy have students read along silently while you read aloud and have them write questions they are wondering about that "pop" into their heads. I read about 1 - 2 paragraphs or a bold headed section and pause to give them time to write and reflect. Then I ask them to share what they wrote to discuss as a whole group.

Hope these ideas are helpful...

SUNI is offline   Reply With Quote

formerexpat

Topics for writing
Old 06-28-2009, 01:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My students use them to write down topics they want to write about later. I very dramatically model this!
formerexpat is offline   Reply With Quote

oliviasmom

Scientist Journal
Old 06-28-2009, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One year, when we had a butterfly house, the students used their "Observation Logs" to record pictures and sentences that reflected changes they saw in the life cycle of the butterfly. They worked great and the students felt like real scientists with their own little journals.
oliviasmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. K

I call them "Think Pads"
Old 06-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I always give them to my students at the beginning of the year. We use them when we need to do a math probles on a piece of scrap paper, list questions and thoughts while silent reading, and use them as response cards to hold up so I can check understanding. (Usually the first 6 pages of our new books are th eletters A, B, C, and D, and the letters T and F. I have the students fill the page with these. I can ask a True/false question or a mutiple choice question and the kids can hold up their answer...instant assessment.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

CLD

where did...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

you get these little memo pads? did they come in a pack? were they expensive?
CLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. K

Think Pads
Old 06-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You can get a small 4 pack at the Dollar Tree or a 12 pack of small spiral bound books at SAM"S.

Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tim

Thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'm excited!

I got this batch at Walgreens. They were 5 for $1.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote