Help

ARCHIVE

Can you believe this is on supply list

>

seashell

Can you believe this is on supply list
Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

_________ county students are not required to bring any supplies with them to school in order to acess our educational programs. If you would like to purchase personal supplies for your child this list may act as an optional guide. While the following items are not requirements donations by parents businesses civic organizations or faith organizations are always greatly appreciated.

I bet we will not receive many supplies

seashell is offline   Reply With Quote

girllovesmath

Old 07-01-2009, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What's up with that?? How does that "assess our educational programs"? I agree... why would a parent buy their child supplies if they knew the school was providing them? Boo!
girllovesmath is offline   Reply With Quote

CatBells

Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For years we have had to put "suggested supplies" on our lists. But this really invites parents not to send anything in. Our state allows us to require only paper and pencils. Of course I end up supplying a lot of those two items!

I try my best not to request supplies that will cost more than $10 total. Some teachers I know pride themselves on extensive supply lists that have to total more than $50! My district is Title I, so I try to be sensitive to keeping the cost down.
CatBells is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Wow.

I don't think that asking for $10 in supplies is too much. At our school, students pay a $25 supply fee and the principal just orders what we need.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

Omg!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had no idea that anything like this existed! Holy! I hope they pay their teachers better since the teachers are buying all of the supplies. We all spend a lot on our classrooms, but wow, I wouldn't buy as many other things if I had to spend so much on basic supplies.

cre8tive_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Public education
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have been told that you can't require the kids to bring things in--they are entitled to a free education. It can be suggested. I usually say, "It would be helpful if you had..."
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Experienced
Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When my school opened a year ago they told the teachers that the county had decided that since this is public education we cannot tell the parents to provide supplies. Well, they also said that they would give us the supplies. And you know how that works......we didn't get nearly enough and not the things that we needed.....so guess who really paid for the supplies.....you got it....the teachers.

Now last year, since we are in a budget crisis they once again went back to supplies..but they published a list of items that they would like to see th students bring in....guess what...I only had one student actually bring in supplies...and I had to provide them again....Nice .....especially since we have not gotten a raise in two years. I realize that we are all in need these days...but come on these stores have penny sales on pencils....nickel sales on notebooks and paper....dime sales on glue...... I think that at least some of them can afford that.
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeRocks

supply lists
Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My district arbitrarily decided for us what can go on the supply list. We were notified of this only when they provided us with copies to place in the report card envelope for next years purchases. The items are not reasonable - 2 pocket folders for homework.....have they looked in a bookbag lately??? Two pocket folders will not last the entire year.

I try to keep my supply requests to a minimum because of the financial constraints my parents are under. However, I agree with a PP......they can hit those penny sales. You can buy most of what you will need for about 30 cents!
2ndGradeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote

soccermom73

No supply list allowed!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This year our district has told us we are not allowed to give out a supply list at all (not even suggested/optional items). The parent has to specifically ask for a list and then we can tell them things that are optional to bring it---but they HAVE to request it!!!!
soccermom73 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

supply list
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm in a Title 1 school, which means that most children get reduced or free lunch. We have a "suggested" supply list. The interesting thing about my school is that most parents grew up in Mexico, and are used to having to pay for supplies, uniforms, and tuition. So they bring in almost all the items on my "suggested" list.

Now the ones whose children are not eligible for free lunch are the ones who balk at anything that requires them to pay, although their kids are usually the ones who have the beautiful expensive backpacks and the latest electronic gadgets. One of my first graders even had his own working cell phone last year.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

mossgirl9

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We are in the same boat in CA. We are not legally allowed to ask parents to supply anything. In my district, we are only allowed to request donations. Even then, we have to be incredibly careful with the wording.
mossgirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote

4teach

District will buy supplies this year
Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

For the first time ever, our super is not allowing schools to have supply lists. The district is going to supply things that the students need. We all had to submit what we'd regularly have on our list and the way I understood, the super would pick what he thought was "needed." I am anxious to see how this pans out. I live in a small community and Wal-Mart is the only store. I hate to think that they are going to get all those school supplies in and not many people will buy it! I don't like this idea and I hope it backfires!
4teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Cindy B

Suggested supplies
Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our district only gives one pencil per month to the students. I have had to purchase pencils and "sell" them to the students with classroom economy money. The special education teachers were only given 5 pencils per month and told to have students share!

I am going to send home a suggested supply list for the first and second semester. The parents would like to know!
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Old 07-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wow, I can't beliee this. When parents know it is not a requirement, they won't bring anything. I knew this one family always declared hardship and recieve free bookbag every year for their 4 kids. Do you need a new backpack every year??? They are teaching their kids to be irresponsible and untruthful. On the other hand, I've seen school supply list that said, "A $50 check to purchase various other items" besides the basic supplies. That one really surprised me, okay, a little jealous too.
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

21teacher

Supply List
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We sent home a supply list that was pared down tremendously from years past. We were told to remember that many parents were without jobs and that we are in tough economic times. No optional items like tissues were allowed on the list. Yet how many fundraisers did our school send home this past year? Fall pictures, spring pictures, class pictures, pictures with Santa, wrapping paper, school dance tickets, pizza kits, cookie dough, Relay for Life.....the list goes on and on. Our school yearbooks cost over $20, yet when it comes to school supplies that will be on SALE for next to nothing during the summer, we suddenly become concerned about parents' financial situations.
21teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. K

Supply List
Old 07-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We have never had a supply list. the district provides everything that the students need...paper, pencils, notebooks, markers, crayons, etc. Occasionally a teacher will ask students to purchase a binder, and when students get into the more advanced math classes in high school they need a graphing calculator, but we have never had a supply list.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

arr4

Wow!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We get to create our own supply lists for the grade we will teach. Almost 100% of students show up with all the supplies. Walmart even has copies of all the surrounding school districts' supply lists set out for parents. That's how 99% of people know what to buy. I cannot imagine having to buy all these things for all my students! I spend way too much money of my own already. Plus we have a few people in the community who ask at the first week of school if there is a need for anything on the list; if so, they will go buy it and donate it to the school. That is one of the few perks of my school; I hadn't realized that until now.
arr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aurora

Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I've never given out a supply list. We are a high poverty school and would likely not receive many supplies anyway. However, we do have a $350 supply budget to work with.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote

teach8060

I feel guilty
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Now I am thinking that I have too much on the 4th grade list and am feeling guilty because of the socio-economic make-up of our school. However, I have never had a problem getting all the stuff...I wonder if the parents are cursing at me behind my back???
teach8060 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jade

No List, Either
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We have never had a required list either--state law, I believe. Anything we require, we provide: pencils, crayons, paper, etc. We fill out our consumable order in the spring for the following year and I have had no trouble getting whatever I have requested from the school district, but then I do not go overboard, either. Even though we do not publish a list nor require school supplies, most students show up with pencils, crayons, notebooks, folders, etc. from the back to school sales.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie06

We Buy
Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I'm a 5th grade teacher and because I try to help prepare my students for middle school by keeping organize we the teachers actually buy the supplies for our students and just ask that they pay $16.00 to cover all supplies. This helps students all have the same color folders, notebooks, pencil cases, etc... During the summer the other teachers and I try to hit all the penny sales and rack up on great deals to help get as much as we can.
Newbie06 is offline   Reply With Quote

luckytoteach

Old 07-01-2009, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

The public schools in my area have supply lists and they are posted in the area Walmart and Targets. I teach in a private school and we have done it two ways:
1. Post a supply list on our website
2. Teachers purchased items and parents paid for them

This year the people that run the school store were talking about providing the supplies. They weren't sure if they were going to be able to make it manditory or optional. My concern is if they were going to keep the costs down. I would hate for parents to be charged 1.50 for crayons that you can purchase for .20 during the back to school sales.
luckytoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We don't require items either.

I do, however, send home alist of the things that the child will be required to use during the school year. Many children prefer to have their own things instead of using the class materials.

One year we didn't ALLOW students to buy their own binders, folders, and pencil pouches. We bought them all, so all of the kids had exactly the same stuff. They were required to have their names in standard format on the spine of their binders, but they got to decorate the front and back themselves.

Interestingly enough, I don't see ANY difference in the numbers of kids who did and didn't have supplies from now--when we don't send to a required list--to back when we DID send a required list.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
signed out

signed out

As a parent
Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

of children who qualify for free/reduced lunch, spending $10-$15 for school supplies is not asking too much.
I teach at a school with a high-poverty population, and we do have a few families who really CAN'T afford anything (usually families who have recently come to the U.S. from refugee camps and a few homeless families), but most families - even the ones on free/reduced lunch - can manage a reasonable supply list, IMHO.

RESA24_99

Huh?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

We require supplies! I even ask for printer paper and index cards.
RESA24_99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-01-2009, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

One of the problems with the supply lists for our students is availability. We are in a rural area, and the only option is the dollar store unless we travel to the next county.

Many things weren't available in town, and the parents either didn't have a car or couldn't afford the gas to get there. (No public transportation.)

aashley

Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I taught in a very low income school this past year. I had no problem getting supplies from my class (even extra tissues and paper towels towards the end of the school year), but I know of other teachers that couldn't get most of their kids to bring in any supplies all year long. Funny thing though...these were the same kids that were bringing $20 or $30 to spend on snacks and souvenirs when we went on our free field trip to the circus...
aashley is offline   Reply With Quote

gg

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

We're not allowed to ask for supplies. School starts Monday though, and this year we have not been given a supply budget yet... so I'm using leftover pencils from last year. No crayons. No tissue. No copy paper yet. This should be an interesting beginning of school.
gg is offline   Reply With Quote

begborrowstea

I never ask
Old 07-01-2009, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I never ask for supplies. Our school has everything they need. Yes, I buy things, but really those items are more convenient than necessary. Occasionally, I will have parents that ask to bring things. Of course I say YES!!!
begborrowstea is offline   Reply With Quote

msk5

Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

We are allowed to ask for supplies including copy paper. This is great since my state will not be giving any teachers classroom supply money. We usually get $500 and the city in which I work yesterday just passed a budget which gives nothing to the schools!
Should be an interesting year!
msk5 is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

No supply lists
Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Our district doesn't allow us to give out a supply list. At first parents would ask what to bring and we couldn't tell them. Now it is difficult to get the parents to support the school in any way.
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mistap

Old 07-02-2009, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I have no problem with having a "suggested" list. We do order some supplies as a grade level team that comes out of our town budget (not a lot but it helps) and of course I purchase things myself during the summer.

On the flip side, my stepdaughter was in a high school AP History class in which the teacher had it mandatory that the students purchase a college history text book. The list price was $100. I found that to be absolutely ridiculous, and I used the same argument that the thread starter's school did. It is a public education and if the teacher can't find a way to teach the subject without requiring parents/students to pay, then they shouldn't be teaching.

That said,it's easy for me to say because I teach in an affluent district where kids come with tons of supplies and parents often ask if there is anything I need.

I guess in summation I'm saying that it's really not that black and white of an issue.
mistap is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-02-2009, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

For those of you unfamiliar with teaching children of poverty, I suggest reading some work from Ruby Payne. Her work does a good job of explaining the mindset of people who live in poverty, as it is certainly different from the middle slass mindset . . . which is where most teachers fall.

historyrocks

Each school
Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

in my district must come up with a supply list for each grade level which may only total up to a certain amount.
Usually the elementary and middle school offer school packs which are ordered in the spring for the following year. The great thing about it is that students don't have to bring anything the first day - everything is waiting for them in their classroom.
I teach jr. high and use an interactive notebook. I ask that students bring in a 3-4 pack of glue sticks and 2 rolls of tape if they are able to. I teach in a fairly affluent district - most parents send in more than is required.
historyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote