What am I missing by not eating meat? What else can I eat? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

What am I missing by not eating meat? What else can I eat?

>

Kraziant

What am I missing by not eating meat? What else can I eat?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am having major issues/aversions with meat right now and I think my body is starting to feel it. The only thing I can stomach is hamburger meat and only a little a time. I feel very run down so I am trying to figure out what I am missing so I can get it in other ways. Any advice?

*It's all meat..chicken used to be my favorite and now it makes me puke.

Last edited by Kraziant; 07-31-2009 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: adding info

SusanTeach

iron or protein
Old 07-31-2009, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's my first thought, since they're both so high in red meat. Is it just red meat or any meat at all? If it's any meat, I'd say it's a protein issue.

Maybe you can get some whey powder and mix up some smoothies to get more protein in your system. Beans are also good for protein.

If it's iron (which will make you feel run down), there are veggies with that in it: the dark green ones especially.

I hope you feel better soon!

4cips

Old 07-31-2009, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can get fairly complete protein by eating whole grains and beans together. But you'd still be missing vitamin B12, as it only comes from animal products. Are you ok to eat eggs? They are an excellent source of protein and B12. Also, adding Braggs Amino acids (tastes a bit like soy sauce) to foods will give you the amino acids you're missing by not eating meat.

A.J.Teach

Old 07-31-2009, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The main things you would be missing from not eating meat is protein and vitamin B12. You can get protein from beans, nuts, dairy, eggs, and tofu. You can get B12 in dairy and eggs and take a supplement.

zola

Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi...I have been a vegetarian for the past 10 years and always get great check ups at my doctors appts so I must be doing something right! The main thing you will not receive from omitting meat is obviously protein BUT you can substitute by eating legumes(beans), tofu, drinking soy milk, eating eggs, cheese, yogurt, and fish. The most important thing to know if you eat a strictly vegetarian diet is that you will not receive any vitamin B12 from plant foods....this is a necessary nutrient for cell repair. You can take a supplement...it is also found in nutritional yeast...you can find this in a natural foods store. You can receive plenty of iron from plant foods but look for dark greens...going for color in your produce is a pretty good way to ensure you're getting the most nutrients for your $$. If you want any recipe or meal ideas, let me know.
One last thing, check out The Source by Woodson Merrell, MD, you may find it a helpful guide to more energetic living.

Huskermom

You may also
Old 07-31-2009, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

want to consider getting a full check up with your doctor and talking to a nutritional expert. I would also keep a food diary for a couple of weeks so that your doctor or nutritionalist can help you to analyze your food intake and possibly pin point any deficiencies.

Kraziant

Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the advice. I am not wanting to be a vegetarian, I am just pregnant and can't stomach meat right now. I go to my doctor next Friday so I will talk to her about then but I hope I can find some relief in the meantime. I have never felt so run down in my life!

4cips

Old 07-31-2009, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Pregnant?? Well, no wonder you're run down, gir! Your body is concentrating its effort on growing a baby!!! I was dog tired with my first pregnancy, and a little bit with my 2nd, too. Definitely talk to your doctor before you go changing your diet drastically while you're pregnant. But being tired is VERY NORMAL while pregnant, and may not have anything to do with your lack of protein. Are you on a prenatal multivitamin? It will have the right balance of what your body needs right now. And congrats, BTW!

MissHoney344

Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Congratulations! You can focus on eating beans and dark greens instead of meat. Just make sure you get protein (even if you have a protein shake a day) and take appropriate vitamins. Talk with your doctor to make sure the vitamins you take are okay and he/she may be able to suggest more ideas for you.

GreenBunny

Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had the same issue when I was pregnant but it was only with red meat. For me, it lasted maybe 2 months at the beginning and one day, I craved, no, make that CRAVED a hamburger.

The others have given you good ideas. Check with your doctor about iron because that's one of the difficult ones to substitute with a vegetarian diet.

Congratulations!

Tchn4fun

Old 07-31-2009, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was just the opposite - I caved meat when I was pregnant, but have been vegetarian most of my life. I guess my body knew what I needed. After my pregnancies, I stopped eating meat altogether and have never gone back - my "baby" is now 24!

For some reason, your body is rejecting the meat. Don't worry, this will pass. Whatever you do, don't eat too much soy because this can mess with your hormones. If you can still stomach dairy and eggs, that will be enough. Oh, and eat your greens!

Congratulations!

Miss C

me too!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm about 8 weeks, and have noticed an odd aversion to meat occasionally in the last couple of weeks. I'd MUCH rather eat the starches and veggies on my plate than the meat. I save the meat for last and choke down what I can of it. Glad I'm not the only one. I was starting to feel weird.

love5th

same thing here
Old 07-31-2009, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

With my son I loved meat but this time around YUCK! They say the wivestale is that if you don't want meat you're having a girl. While I don't buy into all of that it is true for me b/c this time around it is a girl! I drink a really healthy protein soy based shake called Spiratine (sp?). I can't believe I'd like such a thing but I've always enjoyed this brand even in high school. It has lots of nutrients in it but isn't designed to bulk you up or anything like that. Good luck with your pregnancy!

zola

Old 07-31-2009, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

OOHHHH!!! Pregnant! Congrats and hope you feel better soon. Good idea to talk to the doc!!