Social Studies

teaching communities

>

concerned

concerned

teaching communities
Old 02-18-2007, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What and how do you teach communities in your class? Looking to compare what is taught across New Jersey. Thanks.

Shelia

The community
Old 03-06-2007, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would discuss what a community is and talk about the different occupations or people who make up our community. You could also ask students what they want to be when they grow up.

Discuss doctors, fireman**, policeman, , etc. Explain what each one does and how they keep us safe, healthy, etc. You could also have a fireman hat, or a stetoscope(sp), or a policeman badge, just for show and tell. Best of all may be to invite someone from your community to come and talk to the students.

Hope any of this helps in your planning process!
Shelia is offline   Reply With Quote

vjc08

community website
Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello! I am not sure what grade you teach, but here is an excellent website about communities:

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/k-2/neighborhood/index.html

It goes through differnet places in a community (i.e. post office, hospital, police and fire stations, school, library, etc.) and dicusses what is done there and who works there. It is a great way to introduce students to community helpers. This site is also great because it is designed for students k-2nd grade, and then also for older students. Hopefully this helps!
vjc08 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachmom

Communities
Old 03-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your suggestions and website I teach third and have been studying our community starting with the indians and who was here before us. Thanks again!
beachmom is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

Occupation Bags
Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are learning about communities right now. We also teach maps and mapping skills at the same time.
Anyway I sent home a really cute project for my kids. I stapled a paper to a paper sack asking the kids to talk with their parents about their parents job. Then they put 3-5 things in the bag and brought them into share. We got our first three today and they were so neat. One kids mom is studying to be a dental hygenist and so he brought a toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, and a small cup and told us how his mom used all of these at work and how they use them at home. Another boys dad works on a farm so he had a plastic cow, a small tractor, and a bag of feed. He talked about milking a cow and feeding the animals on the farm. The kids are super excited about the bags.

NCP is offline   Reply With Quote