Help

ARCHIVE

Frustration

>

SportingKC

Frustration
Old 05-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As a first year teacher, I am finally realizing what is "normal" for third graders, and what isn't. We have two weeks of school left and I am really concerned about a student. It is too late to send him to SIT team, and get documentation started. The big problem is he is moving out of state over the summer.

Is there any way to put a note in his files that he needs to be tested, or does the new school need to start all over again?

What about mentioning something to the parents?

I am just not sure about the confidentiality laws concerning this subject.

SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

elmosjeep

Not too late
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is never too late. Good for you for bringing this up. Get on board immediately and put him into your schools PAC (IRNS-Whatever you call it).

At the least, it will go in his file as a concern so his new school will be aware of the issues/concerns.

And I would call the parents in for a meeting. Express your concerns for the upcoming year - they will thank you for your care!

Good luck.
Jaime
elmosjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

mellen

elmosjeep
Old 05-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with your response and am glad you are encouraging the OP to take action. However, I'm a bit concerned about your statement that
Quote:
they will thank you for your care!
My personal experience is quite the opposite. Many parents become quite defensive when we try to address the academic needs of their children. No matter how much documentation, work samples, and classwork grades you provide, some parents just cannot and/or will not accept the fact that their child may need services beyond what the classroom teacher provides. This is not to say the OP shouldn't pursue her concerns. As educators it is our responsibility to do all we can to provide opportunities for success. I just don't want Becca to be blindsided by defensive, frightened, or angry parents.
mellen is offline   Reply With Quote