ARCHIVE

behavior plan with no physical rewards

>

New Mrs. O

behavior plan with no physical rewards
Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

hi everbody,

this will be my first year at a new school and kindergarten. i have taught preschool and first grade. so at my new school (a charter school) i am not allowed to use a behavior mod plan that uses stickers, stars or any other type of reward. now the school is inner-city and it was explained to me that the admin. want the students to behave and complete their work because that's what's expected of them. so does anyone have suggestions or experiences with this type of classroom? any help is appreciated. thanks

New Mrs. O is offline   Reply With Quote

miss_jana

Marvin Marshall
Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You might try the Marvn Marshall book, "Discipline without Stress, punishments, or Rewards"... Many feel it's a marvelous program!

Here's a link to the website:

http://www.marvinmarshall.com/

Jana
miss_jana is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

No rewards
Old 06-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was waiting in hopes that someone would have a positive answer. The only thing I can think of is to go with the usual rules and consequences.
Instead of rewarding for good behavior, you are taking away privileges for negative behavior. Good luck!
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

miss_jana

Marvin Marshall
Old 06-22-2007, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Okay, I just read the posting rules after I posted a reply three times and it didn't show up.... I guess it will take a while because I put in a link. Sorry about the qualdruple posting... I didn't understand why it wasn't showing up.

Meanwhile, I just wanted to say.... Marvin Marshall has a great book out called "Discipline Without Stress, Punishments, or Rewards". It is a fantastic program, and you should check it out. He has a website. Just put in the three w's and then his name as all one word and then the "com" at the end and you'll find the site.

Hope it helps!

Jana
miss_jana is offline   Reply With Quote

CPR

no rewards
Old 06-23-2007, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach without rewards and what I find is that you can get the same results, it just takes longer. But I also feel that it's worth the time because by mid-year, the kids are acting appropriately and doing all that they should because they know it's right, not because they know they'll get a little reward or some candy. I think long-term, that's desirable. It always drove me nuts when kids would come into my class wondering what they would "get" for doing what was expected.

CPR is offline   Reply With Quote

gateachk5

Fred Jones
Old 06-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

has a behavior system where the class earns extra time for review games. He is on the internet and his book is called Tools for Teaching. I've been thinking ablout using it this year.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes with you.
gateachk5 is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

no rewards is so important
Old 06-24-2007, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My husband will love your approach - he runs an office where new hires pop in after a good week wanting to know if they get a raise for their good work. No- is not an acceptable answer and they often quit because they are not appreciated and shown financial reward for their efforts - the fact that increments are available at the review times doesn't seem to satisfy their needs. So he emphasizes we need to teach without tangible rewards.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Would a phone call be considered tangible?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have often made phone calls home or written a quickie 'thanks for ___' note to the child when I've seen the behavior (or work) that was desired.

As an adult, I've had administrators who have tried giving points to teachers who turned in paperwork on time or who got to meetings on time, but I found it demeaning and offensive because the message I got from that is that they don't think we, as a group, are capable doing what should be a regular part of our responsibilities. I think that if someone isn't fulfilling his/her job responsibilities, _that person_ needs to be addressed directly, not the whole staff. Unfortunately, many administrators are afraid to deal with teachers who need to improve.

What I DO like is when the administration takes a minute to tell me, or writes me a quick note about something they've seen that they've liked. It's more personal and I get the word directly, rather than the generic "You are all doing a great job for our students."
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

RebeccaF

Check this site
Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was surfing around yesterday and found this site:

http://teachers.eusd.k12.ca.us/bbuch...cher_ideas.htm

Read what is posted under her discipline philosophy - it might give you some good ideas. I especially liked her idea of telling the students they needed to "get some power".
RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

positive referral
Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You can use a positive referral. The child gets to see the principal for a positive reason and the referral gets sent to parents.

ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. T.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I like the "power chair"...
I have used behavior charts in the past. I have found it hard to be completely fair with all students. I would rather focus on the behavior...instead of deciding whether the behavior requires a move to yellow or red. Sometimes I would move one student to yellow for the same behavior that another child may have received a warning...simply because it may have been the "last straw" for the other student. But...I think this was confusing for them.

I like the idea of creating pre-printed note cards for good behavior.

I do like the idea of students earning marbles for good behavior as a class, and then receiving some type of reward when the jar is full.

It can be so confusing!!!!!!
Mrs. T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Ri

Ri
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Check out this link:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=35582

We had a great conversation on this thread about the philosophy behind reward-free discipline. I think it will help you to understand the logic behind this approach and also give you some fun and use-able ideas!
Ri is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. T.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks for the link! Reading the posts helped. I like the idea of rewarding the students "just because".

I like the idea of "having the power to behave"...It can be used in conjunction with the "power chair".

The songs were nice too! I always sent home a nightly behavior chart...I am not sure what to do in place of that?
Mrs. T. is offline   Reply With Quote