Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Cold Sore relief!

>

SoCalTeach

Cold Sore relief!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I get cold sores about once a year. And of course, after two years of terrible dates, I have a good one last week! But now, no kissing for a while! What do you use to speed healing and relief?

javamomma

ask your doctor or dentist
Old 07-03-2007, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

for a prescription to keep on hand. It is a cream to be applied topically. Both my son and I get them and I keep it around. The first tingling feeling you get when you know one is coming on you can apply the cream and it will stop it from ever forming the sore.
If it does happen to make a sore (you did not catch it in time, whatever) it will speed the heeling time.

luv2teach77

cold sores
Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I get them too...about 2-3 times a year. I've found that Abreva works well at making them disappear fast. It's in a tiny tube and is sold at Wal-Mart and other drugstores. I think it was about $12-15 last time I bought it, so a bit pricey. I also mentioned to my doctor that I get cold sores, and he gave me a prescription (pills not a cream) that I can take as soon as I feel one coming on and it helps kill the virus a lot faster! So, maybe that's something to think about.

Good Luck
Deb

azfarkas

Hmm...
Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My doctore gave me a perscription for a green pill that I am supposed to take everyday (well, I don't...I am known for forgetting to take meds) so when I feel the tingly feeling coming on I smother it in Abreva and then start taking the pills he gave me. Sometimes there is nothing I can do to avoid them...mine always come during a stressful/overwhelming time..that's how I know I need to take a step back and relax for a bit.

timpea2

My drs advice was...
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Drink Milk and take vitamin l-lysine. Then for the topical I use Abreva as well as carmex.

Seriously

cold sores
Old 07-03-2007, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my area, doctors won't prescribe anything for cold sores. They tell you that is best to just wait it out. Yeah, right!?!?! However, dentists will prescribe something. The prescription that the dentist prescribes is for pills.

Janie

Old 07-03-2007, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've gotten cold sores for years; sometimes one every month or so. My doctor gave me a prescription for Valtrex, the same stuff they prescribe for genital herpes since cold sores come from the same virus. It has worked AMAZINGLY!!! Anytime I feel the tingle of one coming on, I just take a pill and that's usually enough to stop it. I also have a topical cream too, in case one pops up overnight or something. But I would definitely recommend Valtrex.

NCP

Second the lysine
Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My husband gets them occasionally and his father always had him take lysine to help keep them from forming. My father-in-law is all about natural treatments so all of my husbands sisters take the lysine and say it helps. My husband also puts Abreva on them.

jensw

cold sore
Old 07-03-2007, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My doctor gave me a prescription for Valtrex, too. I take 4 pills the minute I feel tingling(2 as soon as I notice, two 12 hours later) . If a sore develops because I didn't catch it in time, it's usually a tiny one that goes away very quickly. However, my dr. did say that the sore is still contagious until the redness disappears. So even if it doesn't hurt or look disgusting anymore, still no kissing.

He also said Abreva (OTC) works as well as Denavir (prescription), so you might as well get that rather than pay prescription prices.

And I have a friend who swears by daily lysine supplements

Oh, and if you get swelling around the sore, you can take Benadryl or Claritin to reduce swelling. That's an allergic reaction to the virus!

Last edited by jensw; 07-03-2007 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: thought of something else

Ilvtching

at bedtime...
Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I get a cold sore, I put toothpaste all over it before bedtime....it really helps a lot. It dries it up quickly....you can only do it at night (or when home alone) as it looks awful...but it seems to work.

You may also try Spirit of Camphor. It is a liquid and it is gross, but that dries it up well too....clear so you can put it on during the day!

Amy

heart4kids

What works for me...
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Prevention: 30 to 40 SPF lip balm each time I am in the sun or wind. There is a Herpecin lip balm that has high SPF and L-Lycine in it. I keep balms everywhere and apply often.
L-Lysine tablet every day or so. Sleep and exercise.

Controlling an outbreak: Valtrex (take 4 tablets at first tingle, then 4 more 12 hours later. I can't recall dosage). Denavir (prescription ointment to rub on). Abreva over the counter has a good success claim but my copay for Denavir is cheaper.

When I began to have terrible outbreaks long ago, I happened to get a doctor who gets cold sores herself to make these prescriptions. She says that no one really knows how unpleasant/painful/embarrassing they can be unless they've had them - which is why many doctors won't do prescriptions for sufferers. I have had to become very vocal and firm about my needs. Ex. "This is what needs to be refilled (give names and dosages). I need to have it ON HAND because I can catch and prevent an outbreak before the swelling, fever, achey joints, etc. begin." I've missed school because of cold sores. One time it was school picture day and I was not going to have to look at that picture of myself in the yearbook!!!!

My fellow teacher at my grade level gets them, too. One time we were getting a cold sore on the same day! She came in as I was frantically rummaging through my purse for my meds and was amazed that I had a prescription to make the sore go away. Better living through modern chemistry.

summertime

Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Abreva is the best!!

mab

cold sores
Old 07-03-2007, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I hardly ever get cold sores anymore. I used to all the time. But I started taking 2 lysine tablets every day and that seems to stop them. I do still get them every once in awhile, maybe 2 a year now. When I do I found that Aveeno Naturals makes a cold sore medication that you put on the sore. It has honey in it and works so amazingly well for me! Better than Abreva!

GB

Tingling
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When you feel the tingling of one coming on, immediately sit with a piece of ice on it for 10 minutes or more. You won't get a cold sore because the ice kills the bacteria causing the onset.

Works for me! I've had a couple before knowing about the ice thing-and I always used campho for cold sores. It works fast. But Abreva is supposed to be good.

tia

cold sores--ugh!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

i used to get one a year--due to too much sun, stress, or fever (hence name fever blister).

i would definitely have your doctor or dentist prescribe an oral prescription--they work so much faster than the topical kind. and since it works internally, there is no drying, cracking, etc on the outside.

interesting idea with the toothpaste--i had read MANY years ago in a beauty magazine that models use it on pimples to dry them out--i have done it a few times.

Elise82

Carmex
Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I swear by Carmex! It comes in a little yellow tube (or yellow pot) and it is cheap. Yet, it always has worked great for me. Put it on at the first tingling. It dries them up really quickly, if you apply it several times a day. At the same time, you can also take Lysine capsules, and that will help as well.

One more thing, to prevent another outbreak: Any chapstick, lip gloss, or lipstick you used during this time should be thrown out, as you might get a reoccurence!