Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Adoption-

>

3rdteacher

Adoption-
Old 08-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My husband and I are considering adoption. I am beginning to search for information about domestic and international adoption. We are not interested in adopting an infant per say. I know that international adoption is quite expensive and could take a while, however, there is a chance to adopt a child. I do not know much about domestic adoption. Just looking for anyone who has adopted or perhaps some references to use. I am in NJ if there are any resources you may know about.

Thanks

busybee

Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Both my sweet kids were adopted. Both were adopted domestically, one through an agency in Texas and one through CPS. PM me if you have specific questions. Adoption is one of my favorite topics. Best of luck to you!!

tchrrx

Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My DD was adopted through DHS (or CPS or whatever it's called now!) a couple of years ago. She was adopted as a five year old. You may also feel free to email/pm me if I can help you in any way.

kacie8

Adoption
Old 08-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our former youth minister and his wife adopted two boys from the Ukraine about a year and a half ago. This guy now works for an adoption agency called Lifeline Children's Services. Both of the boys are precious. I have put a link to their website. It has information about their adoption story, pictures, and some adoption links. I don't know if the site will help but I love keeping up with their adoption news and pictures. Good luck with adoption. I think it is such a great thing!!

http://akersadoption.ministryhome.org/index.php

MS Math

Old 08-06-2007, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good luck. I hope the process will be easy and affordable for you and you will have a sweet child at the end of it all.

Mom4a_and_c

adoption
Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My husbanad and I adopted our oldest daughter. She was a foster child the first 6 years of her life. We wouldn't trade her for anything(even with the teenage hormones running amuck). We read a book years ago called adoption for dummies. It was a great resource.

MArie from PA

speeder1

Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was in your shoes in not wanting a newborn and wanted an older child. My husband and I chose to adopt through DHS/CPS. We adopted 3 girls at one time. They spent most of their life in foster care and was seperated into different homes and we were able to bring them together. One of my angels is in the picture to the left and she is 6 with her sisters being 12 and 14. Like the rest, PM me if you have any questions.

linny22

Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hope it works out for you and your husband. I am from NJ too. Unfortunately I know nothing about the adoption process.

I Teach First

adoption
Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My husband and I are going through the DHS process now. PM me and I will let you know all of the requirements. I have already realized that you can't get in too big of a hurry. The lady we are working with is great, but there is red tape that just takes time. We looked into private adoption, which was very expensive and I just couldn't stand paying so much $$$$$ for a child who will be adopted with or without me, when I see children all of the time needing a good home in DHS care. Best of luck. It is very hard emotionally (in our case, because we can't have children), but will be so worth it.

Brooke S.

adoption
Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I started doing foster care and there are so many children who need to be adopted. It can be hard though, because things can change from day to day. You may think you can adopt and then they get to go home.

I think if you want an older child, it is the way to go. I would adopt my 11 month old twins in a heart beat if I was given the opportunity. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I Teach First

adoption
Old 08-07-2007, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Brooke talked about the kids going back home, which would be really hard. DHS does have an adoption only program where the parents' rights have already been terminated and they have no chance on going home. Emotionally, I couldn't handle the children leaving. It was a big adjustment to realize that I couldn't have children of my own, and I know if I were given one, I wouldn't want to give he or she back.

sunflowergals

What an inspiration-Kacie8
Old 08-07-2007, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

To: Kacie8
I took a look at your friends family website and what an AMAZING story. They are so lucky to have each other! What a wonderful journal of memories that have already created- I was inspired to take more photos of my own two girls.