Help

Sixth Grade

Anyone use Reading A-Z for 6th graders

>

Nate'sMom

Anyone use Reading A-Z for 6th graders
Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll be teaching 6th graders for the first time next year. I've become pretty familiar with www.readinga-z.com over the past few years, used it quite extensively as a Title Reading teacher.
Just wondering if current 6th grade language arts teachers have used it. What do you think? Is there a better resource that you've found?
We have some low readers coming up...probably 10-15 in the DRA 18-30 range...
I know that I'll be teaching a Language Arts block - 86 minutes - and I believe I'm supposed to incorporate guided reading, shared reading, writing, word work within that time.
Thanks for any input or information you can provide.

Nate'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

tam123

Raz-Kids.com
Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm moving from 2nd to 6th next year and will be interested in others responses. Raz-kids is from the reading a-z website and I love it. Kids can go to the computer and choose their reading level then choose a book. They have options like listen to the book, vocab. page, take a quiz, etc. check it out I think your low readers will benefit from listening to fluent reading.
tam123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nate'sMom

That's what I was thinking!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I noticed there's a Science component too on the website. I'm willing to spend the money if it's justified, but I'd love more feedback!

GeminiTwin

Limited Use
Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school has a subscription. Mostly the primary teachers use it. I do use it in 6th some, but most of my 6th graders are on or above grade level so there is not a whole lot for them. I think that you would get use out of it for lower level readers. I printed everything that I wanted in one year so you could subscribe for a year and then save all the books and resources that you need and not renew for another year to save some money.
GeminiTwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Nate'sMom

Good idea
Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks, GeminiTwin!
With the varying reading abilities, etc. I think it's a wise investment for this year. A-Z is offering a "sale" price so I'll need to make a decision by June 8.

teachnkids

Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think you could use it. I wish I had had it when I taught 6th grade LA. I had used it in 3rd at a private school, but when I switched to public school they did not have it at the time. Even though some of your kids may be above the reading levels it is still great for non-fiction. You know they have more trouble with NF reading so a little lower will help boost their confidence a bit. Also, many of the NF titles might tie into your SS and/or Science curriculum so you can show a cross-curricular component to your teaching with these.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote