Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Input on Greek Life

>

Groovy Gal

Input on Greek Life
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My daughter is going to a university in the fall and is looking into a sorority. Would like your input to pass along to her.

What do you know about the different sororities? Were you a part of the Greek life? Thank you for your thoughts.

MrsCroak

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was in a sorority in college. My favorite part of it all was we weren't allowed to join until our sophomore year. This gave us time to get our academics together and see where we might fit in best.

I would tell her that "rush" can be overwhelming, but to keep an open mind. Try to visit as many houses as possible and see how the members treat each other.

vateacher

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I decided sororities were not for me. I decided to become a member of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service oriented fraternity instead and had a blast. THe dues were not nearly as expensive, there was absolutely NO hazing and brothers could not drink with pledges. I had instant friends at a time when I was feeling quite homesick.

canteach

I was a Greek.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I enjoyed most of the life. I went to a very small school and it was the mid-70's so things were not the way they are now. There was some hazing, but no one was seriously injured or anything. You had to decide where you would draw the line, IMO. I joined a sorority where the girls didn't seem to be too snobby or too rich for a poor kid like me. I had no car and was a rather studious kid with little extra money to spend on anything. I had to keep my grades up to keep my scholarship and my parents had expectations that I would either be on the Dean's List or have at least a C average or their support would be withdrawn-- especially since the school was not state supported and there were two more kids at home to educate at that time.

rachelmpd

Sorority
Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I joined a sorority when I was in my Jr. year. I had transferred to a very large commuter school. I was used to being active in High School and at the JC and most of my friends were away at school. I felt the experience was just okay. Part of the problem for me was I did not drink and I did not enjoy the fraternity parties. I do still have some friends from the sorority, we aren't close. I joined for the friendships and the service aspect. My house was very small.

I think your daughter needs to think about why she wants to join the sorority and I would imagine today it is pretty easy to see what that house is like by looking on FB.

If she needs housing and the sorority has housing, it can be cheaper to live there.

basketball777

Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also joined a sorority junior year, after transfering. I was very shy at the time, and it really helped me open up and make LOTs of friends and acquaintances. I even met my college best friend in my sorority. I joined the sorority that a few of my dormmates joined the semester before. I also joined one of the more down-to-earth sororities. We weren't just all about partying, we did a lot of other social things, like bowling, icecream, sports, etc. Also, we often had things to do on the weekends, or parties we could go to if we wanted, so the social life was good. Many of the girls are still close friends with eachother, etc. I on the otherhand, don't really talk to any of them anymore. I do keep in touch a little on facebook. Overtime, I felt like I matured, and some of them are still a bit stuck in the past and I could see how some of them have immature personalities. But during college and my early adulthood(post college), I had a nice network of friends. One reason I don't really keep in touch is that because I live so far, but I just think things changed. I say for college it was a great experience, lots of fun activities to do. There are also study hours, etc. I also lived in the sorority house one year, so the housing is a plus. My house now does have a facebook page, so I would research some of them online. A lot of them have websites too. Rush is one of the most superficial experiences....being in the actual sorority isn't like that at all. If you visit many of the houses, she should find some that she is comfortable with.

GraceKrispy

Old 06-21-2012, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was not into the greek thing, although a few of my best friends loved it. Like vateacher, i joined alpha phi omega, and that was a great experience that fit my personality. I was only in it for a year and didn't make lasting friends from it, but i got involved with some great community service projects and had a great time with some awesome people.

My college didn't let you pledge until soph year either, and that was smart, imo. Gives you time to establish before adding.

maxwell

I was in a sorority
Old 06-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

and I loved every minute of it. The friendships made there have lasted over 30 years.

Suspended

janeypoo

Suspended

Old 06-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It is EXPENSIVE for an average Joe trying to pay their way through college on their own, but if she is shy, it is worth it IMO. I gained a lot of self confidence through greek life that I would not trade back. It was kind of added pressure time wise as I had so many obligations, but learning how to juggle that too ended up helping me in the real world.

TchMe

Sorority
Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I started college in 2001, I was not planning on joining a sorority. But I ended up rushing with a few friends on my floor in the fall of my sophomore year and it was the best thing I ever did. I just met a group of girls that I clicked with, who had the same values and fun attititude. It taught me to be more social and more of a leader. I was not hazed. Also don't believe the negative comment "You are paying for your friends" because a lot of the money for dues goes to events and charities. It's hard to give details about specific sororities, because the general persona of a frat/sorority can vary from campus to campus. I met some of my best friends through Greek life and still talk and hang out with them 10 years later! I'd tell your daughter to explore the option and if it's something she likes, then go for it!

Brassy125

depends
Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My suggestion is to just sit back, and let her make the call...my daughter went to college and didnt "rush" a sorority her freshmen year...she was just getting used to campus life, and trying to find her "fit." Her returning year, she decided to give it a try, and go into the one that she really wanted. She lived in the Sorority house last year, and is planning on doing so again this year.

At her campus, Greek Life is all about philanthropy and her sorority has contributed the most money and time on campus...she is getting experiences with event coordination (her major) and is now on the campus greek committee (forget what it is called) that plans all the "BIG" events that are held on campus. She is working with other students and advisors making some big (and expensive) decisions...

For her, it seems to be opening a lot of doors for her and her major...and it is also a lot of fun..

As a side note, there were some recent riots on her campus during a drink-fest....but my dd and her "sisters" were safe and sound across campus in a Relay For Life..so, for me, it's all good!

Illini Teacher

There are a TON of sororities!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Let me first start off by saying there are a lot of sororities, so what chapters are at the campus that she is going to attend may be different from what chapters are at the campus her friend will go to.

Also, I can tell you what the different sororities were like on my specific campus, but that means nothing for her specific campus. A lot of them are "the best" at a number of schools and "the worst" at a number of schools.

I am happy to answer any questions you or your daughter have if you would like to PM me with more specifics. I was in a sorority in college in the late 90's, but I am also currently a chapter advisor. I've got a pretty good handle on how rush works and what she can expect.

Illini

lpt

Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I joined a Greek organization and so have my daughters. It has truly enhanced all of our collegiate experiences. Good luck to your DD!

monicaw

wait a year
Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was in a sorority but didn't pledge until my sophomore year. My daughter went to school and that was one of the first things she did. I was not thrilled. Needless to say, being away from home, dorms, and sorority were too much for her to handle and she failed school. I really think she would have been fine if she had that first year to adjust to everything else first.

cyclones

Greek life
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My kids were all in Greek houses. Two of my sons were painfully shy and being in a fraternity was the best thing ever for them. They were obligated to participate in certain activities and they met lots of people. Those sons have told me that telling them they had to join a fraternity was the best thing I ever did for them. I went to a gigantic university and would have been overwhelmed without my sorority "home." There are good houses and bad houses. Your daughter will get a feel for each house as she visits during formal recruitment and should join the house where she feels most comfortable. It also helps to talk to other girls who attend her university to get their opinion about each house's reputation. My dd did not join my sorority because at her university, they have a bad reputation. You can also look up each sorority's house gpa. That will give you an idea of how much they stress studying.

Groovy Gal

Greek input
Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you all for your input! I told DD that I was going to ask the PT family because I knew we would have good info coming from all of you. We have been busy (translation, she is 17) but she is excited to see your responses.

One of the main reasons I suggested she look into it is she is technically an only child (stepbrother is 14 years her senior) and I have heard people in a sorority sometimes make friends for life. She may need a support system when we are gone and family (what family there is) is spread out.

Another, besides being fun, is they do things for the community, although her university is one that has a big service component to it. They also don't allow anyone to join until the second semester so the kids have time to get to know a variety of students on campus.

Illini Teacher We will PM you in the next couple of days. Thank you for offering your knowledge.

Thank you everyone!