Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Baby after C-Section

>

teach123

Baby after C-Section
Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a baby in the spring. We ended up having an unplanned c-section. My doctor has recommended several times waiting two years before trying to get pregnant again. The friends I have mentioned this to looked at me like I was crazy because they had never had a doctor tell them this. I'm ok with waiting two years but I have family members who have had "accidents" and ended up with two children fairly close together. Also, I am breastfeeding but got my period back so I don't know what to do about birth control. My gyn prescribed a low dose birth control pill but I'm scared to take it. He said it won't affect my milk supply but the baby's ped who is specializes in breastfed babies said to absolutely not take any birth control pills because it would affect my milk supply. I have two different doctors telling me two different things and I don't know who/what to believe. Please post any advice you can share. TIA

bockiee

Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My sister and I are 13 months apart (you do the math) and both of us were c-sections (born in the 70s). My mom said the hardest part was not being allowed to pick up the older one for a few weeks.

My 2 DC are a little over 2 years apart and both born by c-section. I would say 2nd c-section was easier (maybe because I knew what to expect?).

My doctors told me to wait a year. Yes, sometimes an "oops" can happen and a c-section can be done close together, but I'm sure your body needs some time.

I can't really give you any advice on the birth control.

shazam

Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My dr told me to wait 18 months after my unplanned c section. I also am not taking birth control for the same reasons as you. I think they are mostly wanting your body to heal completely and so they give a safe amount of time. I know people who have gotten pregnant sooner and been ok.

iluv2tchsped

Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

my co worker had an unplanned c section and then had her 2nd child 18 mos later and is about to have her 3rd, another 18 mos later. All children are c-sections.

Since you are questioning about whether the bc pills will affect the milk supply- I would not take them. As for having sex protected- condoms

rubyanne

Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What is more important? To not get pregnant or to have a little dip in milk supply? I think both doctors could be right. You might have a little dip in milk supply but not enough to not BF your baby. Many women take BC pills and still breastfeed without any problems. I wonder if some of it is that milk supply drops when baby is eating solids and that might be when a lot of women think to go on BC. Just a thought.

Only you know how upset you would be if you got pregnant before two years. BF does not stop pregnancy. I know a woman that got pregnant 6 weeks after having a baby. If you are really worried do what PP said.

mamacanteach

Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, BC pills can affect your milk supply. I'm sure it is different for each person so know one can predict for sure how this will affect breastfeeding.

There are many other forms of birth control. I'm sure your doctor can discuss the options with you.

I have heard the 2 year recommendation from friends who've had c-sections. I'm not sure how important it is that you wait though. If you really don't want an accident, plan appropriately. If you're open to having another child sooner then talk to your doctor about it. Maybe all it means is an automatic second c-section, I have no idea though.

rubyanne

Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just a thought...what about a copper IUD? There are no hormones and when you want to get pregnant just have it taken out. The Mirena IUD does have hormones though.

Mrs. Apple

Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My first was an unplanned csection and 18 months later I had my daughter vaginally.

Star Light

Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The mini pill doesn't affect supply.

mom23kids

my c section
Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had an c section and got pregnant 6 months later. I delivered my second child naturally and they're 15 months apart

mhugs

my daughter
Old 06-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

had an unplanned C-section and the doctor in Germany was adament that the 2nd baby be a c-section. The babies are 15 months apart and baby #2 arrived rather quickly and too late for a c-section. All seems well...as that baby approaches 2nd birthday.

GraceKrispy

Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have read that ideally, you wait at least 6 mo after a cs to get pregnant to make sure the uterus heals before becoming stretched out again. I had an unplanned cs then had another vaginally 18 mo later. Then a third vaginally 18 mo after the second.

I read taking charge of your fertility and followed that rather than take bc, although i know the mini pill is supposed to be fine.

linderbug

Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

The minipill is not supposed to affect your supply. I was on the minipill and hated it; it caused me to have 2 periods a month. It is also not as effective as the regular birth control pill...you HAVE to take it at the same time each day (within an hour). If you don't, there is the possibility of getting pregnant. We doubled up with condoms while I was on the minipill. There's nothing wrong with starting it and seeing how your body handles it; if your supply tanks or you are miserable you can look into other options. Having your periods back can also affect your supply, but there are supplements you can take that can help.

I have heard the 2 years thing also (my doc said 18 months). A C-section is major surgery. Your body needs time to recover. I believe that the amount of scar tissue that builds up after the surgery is important to prevent complication with subsequent pregnancies. It's not the end of the world if you end up getting pregnant again, but you don't want to risk unnecessary complications, either.

rillaGurl

Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My kids are 13 months apart...both c/s. #1 was an unplanned c/s, but #2 was scheduled as my hospital doesn't do VBACs, and I never got past 2 cm anyway.

Taking a pill, even a low-dose hormone, was not an option for me. The hormones do go through breastmilk, and I did NOT want extra hormones going into my child. They say it's "okay", but it's not something I was comfortable with. It wasn't about milk supply issues for me.

monicaw

14 mos apart
Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My two oldest are 14 months apart and were both c-section. I didn't have any problems.