Help

ARCHIVE

Music

>

CookieGirl

Music
Old 09-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I taught preschool for a few years while attending college, then fifth grade for 2 years, and now I'm starting kindergarten. I remember much of the music we used for the preschoolers, but I'm not sure if it's too "babyish" for kindergarteners. We used "Return to Pooh Corner" by Kenny Loggins for our nap time in preschool. Although my kindergarteners are not allowed to take a nap, they are allowed to have some "quiet learning time." I was wondering if "Return to Pooh Corner" would be too babyish for them. I absolutely love the songs- they're so soothing and relaxing. What do you think?

I would also like to have some music to play during the day. At the preschool we listened to a lot of the current (and not-so-current) Disney soundtracks, as well as to Kidz Bop. I know the kindergarteners would love Kidz Bop, but I'm not so sure my principal would. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

CookieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Pooh Corner
Old 09-04-2007, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I played Return to Pooh Corner almost daily during naptime in my kindergarten. The children (and I) loved it. I didn't play any music during the day unless it was incorporated into what we were learning because I find it distracting. I love Hap Palmer CDs (when I started they were records!) for movement activities.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Kerri M

Old 09-04-2007, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love Dr Jean and Jack Hartman. When my kids are working at their tables I will put on one of their CD's quietly and tell the kids it is our "happy music". If they cannot hear the happy music then that means they are talking too loud. They know that if they aren't working I will turn it off, so it's like a special privelege for them to listen.
Kerri M is offline   Reply With Quote

Timsmom

Old 09-04-2007, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I second Dr Jean and Jack Hartmann....they both do a lot of wonderful, educational songs that my kids just love!
Timsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetpea

Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Dr. Jean, Greg and Steve, and Hap Palmer are all good CD's. I even use a Kenny G CD for rest time. I use a lot of music in my classroom. Months of the year, Days of the Week, Weather song, Rules Rap, and lots of movement songs...to name a few. I definitley things the kids enjoy it. I also use it as volume control while they are working. If we can't hear the music, then they are too loud. Hope this help!

sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaF

Putamayo
Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

All of the above artists are great! For a nice, multicultural change of pace try using some of the World Music CDs from Putamayo (available on-line or at Borders for example). They make special CDs geared toward children that contain music in languages and styles from all over the world and they're all kid-appropriate (no weird words coming back to haunt you). My kids love them when we study other cultures, for transition times or just for dancing fun.
RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote

CookieGirl

Old 09-04-2007, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for all of your great ideas! I guess I'm going music shopping!
CookieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote