Help

BusyBoard

New position

>

tripteach

New position
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My former principal has offered me a position at the school she is starting up. The school will not be new but will be totally renovated. It has not been open in several years so it will have all new students. It will also be in the same district I am in now. I loved working for her in the past and I would love to work for her again.
Here are my concerns:
1. My partner teacher,who I love, may or may not be able to come.
2. School is farther away from home.
3. If for some reason I do not get this position my current principal would be SOOO upset. I get along with her okay, but only because I kiss up (just being honest- she does my evaluations ya know). She is a little imbalanced and does not like my former principal at all and then some.
4. I would have to leave a huge classroom and most of my stuff- 20 years worth, would need to stay... It would be like starting all over.
5. I have been at my current school for many years and know everyone and everything here is to know about how it runs and the families I serve.
These are the negatives to leaving- but starting a school from scratch is something I have always wanted to do.

Just needed to talk this through with you guys. If you get a chance tell me what you think.

tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Brooke S.

Go for it
Old 04-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would say go for it, but only after you know it is a for sure deal.

Stuff is only stuff. You will collect new stuff. Leave it with a teacher who will let you borrow it as needed.

I think working for a principal who you like working for is a great situation.
Brooke S. is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Sounds like a go
Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

a principal you love and doing something you've always wanted to. It seems like a win.

There are pros and cons to each decision, but this sounds terrific, and it is good to do something different and challenging sometimes.

Good luck with your decision!
suzyteach is online now   Reply With Quote

gymbob

Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The two things that always grounds me are health care insurance and pension. Do you have either of those now and will you have them if you change schools? Now that I am older I realize how important those two things are. I hate to say it but stability is sometimes worth more than chasing the dream.
gymbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am with gymbob.
You have not mentioned job security, pension or benefits. Those are things that matter and have long term consequences.

It sounds to me like this is a private school. I realize our education systems are different and there are more private schools in the States and they don't necessarily operate the same way private schools do here, BUT I would be very suspect of an unproven private school.

Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is in my same district. Pension and all that jazz stays the same. We are most certainly not private- large public school district
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote