Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

The good, the bad and the ugly!

>

BioAdoptMom3

The good, the bad and the ugly!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 PM

The good - they put DD back on Prozac today! She did have many symptoms of a withdraw from it and I still cannot believe they took her off 40 mg. after 2 years, cold turkey! And her symptoms actually started about a week after they did that, with dizziness, vertigo and mood swings.

The bad - still in social isolation because.....she is back too soon! You flipping idiots are the ones who took her off the Prozac so abruptly and she followed her safety plan from last time - telling a trusted adult when she was scared!

The ugly - DD was in with the doctor today and the nurse was with her. He commented that he is still wondering why she was so sick and emotional yesterday and the nurse said, "she acted like she was coming down off of drugs - you never know about these kids!"

Several of you asked why we don't put her somewhere else - there is nowhere else in our community for kids! The area of mental health needs some very serious attention! And yes, DH, the nurse and I had a little chat again tonight!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

She WAS coming down from drugs -
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 PM

She was withdrawing from a very serious, potentially dangerous drug, PROZAC, and they are responsible for putting her in that position!!

And then they ASK HER why she is sick and emotional and TELL HER to think harder about her goals?

Sorry, Nancy, these people are way sicker than your daughter, not to mention incompetent, arrogant, ignorant, and quite dangerous, if you want my humble opinion.

I am very frightened for your darling daughter. You and your husband are going to have to be extremely strong and get in both of their faces about their failure of ethics.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 10-26-2013, 07:52 PM

I've been thinking about your family and hoping for some positive news. I'm glad she's back on the Prozac. I can't believe they are treating her this way. It makes me sick to think that so called professionals are treating her this way.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Is there a facility in another nearby town you can take her to? If she has been in the facility for a number of days, then she is already missing school. Maybe it would be worth it to find one of much better quality even if you have to travel a distance. It could save her from having to return to one in the near future.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacher Lady

Old 10-27-2013, 02:30 AM

to quote FIL: "they don't have it here or in Orlando?"

it might be worth a little drive time on I4 to find someone more in tune with DD

and I am glad there was a "Good" today; still praying for the answers you are searching for

Teacher Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 10-27-2013, 05:02 AM

I am so sorry Nancy. And surprised too to find out there aren't any others nearby for you to find help for her. I know there's a lot going on in your lives but if there was anyway to find one in Orlando or Jacksonville or somewhere.....I worry about you and your family and your wonderful DD. The people running the mental health facility seem to be punishing her for diong the right thing when it was ultimately their fault! I am so angry on her---and your---behalf. They are making a difficult situation even more so. I am hoping things get better for all of you.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

mamacanteach

Old 10-27-2013, 05:37 AM

The social isolation and lack of understanding by the staff are very worrisome. This could cause more damage in an already challenging situation. I would move her, get a lawyer, and go to the newspapers with the story of this shoddy facility and how they are harming young people who seek out help.
mamacanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-27-2013, 06:14 PM

Oh Nancy I do wish you were able to move her to another facility. I worry for your DD, its tough being in a mental health clinic and on top to have such uncaring staff. It wears you down.

I am glad today was a good day. I am also glad you and DH don't allow DD to be treated the way she is.

I know with today's healthcare its hard to switch places, you just need to be on top of everything.

In my prayers.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Brooke S.

Orlando
Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 PM

Nancy,

I live in the Orlando area and have been taking my son to Nemours! I absolutely LOVE it!

Everyone at Nemours have been so helpful. They actually have an office in Lake Mary which would be a little bit closer to you.

We are currently seeing a Child Psychiatrist, Psychologist, and Licensed Mental Health Counselor. I cannot say enough good things about them!

Let me know if you are interested in more information.
Brooke S. is offline   Reply With Quote