Help

ARCHIVE

Help with 5 senses unit, please!

>

newKteach

Help with 5 senses unit, please!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year teaching K and I need some help fleshing out a unit on the 5 senses. Please help with ideas and/or links! Thanks so much!

newKteach is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

5 senses
Old 11-24-2007, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you can do a christmas theme -
Bb divided into 5 sections - I have one the length of my room
section 1 -sight -make lights on a string and wind around the section
section 2 -smell -make gingerbread men out of cinnamon applesauce
section 3-hear- music notes and learn a song
section 4-touch- make Santa faces with cotton beards
section 5-taste - paper candy canes (kids eat real ones)

I had kids make a holly leaf chain similar to a paper chain and we wrapped the frame of the bb with it and made an X on the ceiling corner to corner. Kids made elf faces with their names on the hats to hang from the chain.

Little elf, little elf what do you see - I see _____by or on the christmas tree.
change it for each sense.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

VA teacher

I used Little Elf, Little Elf
Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

just like the pp but with just a little change. We made a book about the 5 senses using the Little Elf, Little Elf what do you see? feel? smell? hear? taste? Each page had the words typed at the top and then we put something each day to go with the picture. For see-christmas tree with sparkly stickers; feel-pic of Santa with cotton balls for beard; smell-pic of gingerbread man with cinnamon on it; hear-a pic of reindeer with small jingle bell attached with yarn; and taste-a wrapped candy cane to eat when they got home and after reading with mom/dad/grandma/grandpa-whoever you live with. Isn't it sad that this is how we have to state it because you never know who they live with. It never fails, when I don't say the above some darling will yell out I don't live with _____. My class really liked putting together this book and it was a good activity to end out unit with. We have already completed our 5 senses unit but I still plan on using this activity because it will be good review. I just won't have to spend as much time discussing each sense just a quick review. I wanted to use a Christmas Smilie but there aren't any yet.
VA teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kerri M

a few ideas
Old 11-24-2007, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids loved to make a smell book and it was really easy. Buy different extracts at the store (I use peppermint, orange, lemon, banana) and make a page for each that says "I smell ____" with a picture of the item. The kids get to color and put their book together then use a dropper to drop a bit of each scent on cotton balls. The students then glue the cotton balls on each page and get to read/smell their book. They love it.

Also for the sense of smell I put cotton balls with different scents in film canisters. Each canister has a colored dot sticker on it and I make a set of cards with a picture of each scent on it. On the back of the card is a colored dot sticker that matches the film canister. The students job is to smell each canister and match it with the picture, then turn the pictures over to check their guesses.

For the sense of hearing I use plastic easter eggs and put random objects inside them. First students must try and guess what is in each one using only their sense of hearing. Then they must match the two that go together (for every object I make two eggs). This can be done as a class, or as a center.

For the sense of touch the kids love to use a feely box. The easiest way to make this is to take one of those oatmeal containers, put a sock over the end and cut a hole in the foot side of the sock. Place different items inside and students have to reach in and guess what it is. Make a number of different boxes or just switch out the item inside.

During this unit we also talk about how your sense of taste is connected to your sense of smell. We have a tasting day to discuss our sense of taste, but we tie it in with smell by having the kids plug their noses and try and taste. They then can come to the conclusion on their own that when you plug your nose you can't taste anything.

To talk about sight we read the book Look Look Look (it's at school and I can't remember who it's by). Each page has a little window cut out that only shows a small portion of a photograph, so you look in the window and guess what picture is on the next page, then you turn the page and find out what it was. We make our own versions of these where each kid gets a paper with a window cut out, they draw a picture of anything they like (not showing anyone), then we take turns sharing and having the other students guess what they see. It's really fun!

Hope this helps a little
Kerri M is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachwLove

I have a lesson plan..
Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for this that I can send you. It's generic - not December or winter related but my 1st grade class (where I interned) loved it. Just private message me with your email if you want it. Good luck!

TeachwLove is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

Polar Express
Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Just posted this on the first grade board....http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...734#post375734

post #3

Mal
MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Walter

Walter

5 senses unit ideas
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I take a head and shoulders digital picture of each student with their right hand extended at a right angle with their plam vacing me. I leave a little more room on the right side of the picture as you look at the child with his/her right hand extended.

I print them out as 5x7's allowing for the little extra room on the right side of the picture as you look at it.

I went to the library and got Aliki's book on My Five Senses. I began microwaving or hot air popping, whichever. If you do not have a microwave try and go to a room that has one or bring it in out of the children's view. Read the book to the children. Afterwards if no child
says anything about popcorn...ask...Speaking of five senses, does anyone smell anything? Enjoy the popcorn. Discuss the five senses again and pass out the picstures. What you have done with the pictures is write the five words top to bottom on the right side.
The children can not draw a line to the their face and hand connecting the five (5) senses. I let them use a ruler in drawing the lines.

CPR

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm about to start a 5 Senses unit, too, and this was really helpful.
CPR is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaF

5 Senses
Old 11-28-2007, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do almost all of the experiments mentioned by Kerri M (down to the film cannisters and easter eggs!) but I conduct the experiments using the scientific method. I created worksheets for each experiment using MS Word (and clipart). An example is with the listening experiment: I have 5 objects hidden in the eggs, one object in each color egg (and I make about 4 for each color). On the worksheet I have oval shapes with clipart representing those objects in each egg. I also include one picture that does not have a match (such as a fire truck). I put the eggs in separate areas of the classroom with a cup of matching colored crayons at each center. The students carry their recording sheets around on homemade clipboards. They usually work in groups of 3 or 4 students. I ring a bell and they rotate to their center, shake the egg, predict which object is in the egg and color the corresponding egg on their recording sheet with the crayon. When I ring the bell again, the groups rotate to the next center. After the groups have visited each center, we sit down and make a class graph of our predictions. Then my students take corresponding markers and circle the ACTUAL answer (recording results). They love it when we open the eggs! We discuss our conclusions for the experiment. I used this method in a variety of ways with each of the senses. At the end of the unit we made a five senses book. Hope that helps! Oh, and I usually do my 5 senses unit around October so that I can have a "Spooky Science" sense of touch experiment (you know, with grapes for eyeballs and Top Ramen for brains, etc).
RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote