Help

Daily 5

3rd grade Daily 5 HELP!

>

BRGirl

3rd grade Daily 5 HELP!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've read the book and LOVE IT! It makes sense but I'm worried it is geared too young for my needs. I'm hoping someone who teaches 3rd grade and uses Daily 5 might be able to provide some insight as to how it is working with 3rd graders and give any tips to be successful. I planned on starting "Read to Self" tomorrow, Monday at the latest - using the plans straight from the book.

I see Listen to books as a challenge because my books on tape are quite young (from teaching 1st grade). I'm going to check out the on-line books - that seems cool.

Thanks for any help I may receive!

BRGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

bi_skj

I'm going to try it too.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my 1st year to 3rd and I think Daily 5 sounds awesome but I'm having trouble fitting it into "real life" with my schedule. I only have a 2 hr. block to do reading/ lang. arts/ soc. st. I'm having trouble finding time to fit in basal reading, TAKS strategies for our standardized state test, writing lessons, phonics, etc... I'm going to try it and I'm still working on a schedule. We start school Mon. I hope someone who teaches 3rd does answer this post with good ideas and answers to how it works in 3rd. Thanks for posting this question. I've been worried about the same thing.
bi_skj is offline   Reply With Quote

Begood

Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also teach 3rd and this will be my first year implementing D5. I will only do 2 rotations. That's all I can do a day. I really an taking the aspect of less paperwork from this idea. In the past centers were worksheets that took me forever to grade and things to sorta (I admit) to keep them bust while I work with small group.

I plan to start with AR(read to self), WWords , Writing, and read to someone. I will work my way up to listening (maybe).

I still am having difficulty thinking of wwords activities. Realistically I see myself giving spellng sheets and we can review Friday before quizzes.

I plan to do this:
30 basal
20 rot. 1
20 rot 2
20 new skill ELA (grammr, spelling, etc.)

Still tweaking but school starts Thursday.

Good luck!
Begood is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Just started
Old 08-23-2008, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

with my 3rd graders. I do have a question I'll post later. I feel the program is geared appropriately for my kids. We do have a low income population and 1/2 of mine are reading below grade level.

I look at the program as a way to teach students to read (hopefully enjoy) books at whatever their level is for an extended length of time while I then work with guided reading groups. We'll also use Working with Words - they'll work on their spelling words; Read with Partner; Work on Writing - journal writing with workshop later; and Listen to Reading.

I don't think the program would be compromised without Listen to Reading. However if you do have readers below grade level, they could benefit from your books on tape. If you go to past posts, there are also many story online sites. I was thinking of encouraging my higher readers to listen to longer stories I found "out there" like Alice in Wonderland. Even if they don't have text to follow along, they're listening to great vocabulary and a fun story!

Good luck with this all!
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

Steph

Content
Old 08-30-2008, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi! I plan on working some content reading into this, as well. We have so much to teach that cross-subject work is a time saver. I'm excited about implementing this too. I think it's perfect for my kiddos who are mostly on grade level.

Good Luck!
Steph

Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Harris teache

Harris teache

I use D5 in third grade
Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used D5 this year in my third grade classroom. I started it out exactly the way it is in the book, using the cafe board as well. I use storynory.com to print the stories they have online and then save the files of the read alouds, and then a burned them to CDs, about 30 stories so far! They're more on level for third grade and they have a great collection. I staple the stories into folders, put the CDs in plastic zip locks, and staple the zip locks into the folders as well. I only have 1 copy of each right now but I plan to make a total of 4 copies of each story so that the kids don't have to share them.
Junemarie

Junemarie

Third grade teacher
Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am going back to third grade after a year in first. I loved doing the daily five and plan on using it in third. For word work, I have a few games that have been purchased at Lakeshore Learning Store. They cover grammar, building strong sentences, etc. Also, the card game Slam (I think that's what it's called) helps with word building. We also have Words Their Way, and it has games that work on phonics. I plan on incorporating word work, grammar, and comprehension activities as choices. Good luck! You'll love how much easier it is to manage the class while you are doing guided reading.

AllThingsLit

Solidarity, Sister! Third Grade and D5
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yay! I am so glad to see other third grade newbies! I have a dear friend who is moving to kindergarten from first grade, and she did D5 for the first time last year with her first graders. She will be a constant support system as the four third grade teachers at my school (myself included) make the transition to D5 in the upcoming school year. I am excited about exchanging ideas with you throughout the year!
AllThingsLit is offline   Reply With Quote