Help

ARCHIVE

Differentiated graphing activity

>

brbr

Differentiated graphing activity
Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am taking a course on differentiation, and I am in need of ideas for a differentiated lesson/activities on bar graphing. This is the last activity that I have to write up and I am out of ideas! Can anybody help?

brbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. K

Graphing
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I sometimes give certain students the graph with the axis labels already on the paper. The students still have to add the scale or the words. I have also done it with already having an appropriate scale on the paper.

If students are collecting their own data and making a bar graph from it, I sometimes limit some students to 4 possible responses, while giving other students any number of choices.

If reading an already prepared graph, I differentiate the questions on the worksheet to the students doing the page. This is relatively easy to do.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

Annie39

Differentiated activities for bar graphs
Old 06-27-2009, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year, I mentored a pre-service teacher who taught a lesson on bar graphs as part of an election unit that I was teaching in social studies. In her first lesson, she showed examples of a bar graph, and she discussed the title, the y-axis, x-axis,etc. Next, we made a human bar graph. On an index card, we had each student draw a circle and color it the same as his/her eye color. Then we arranged the students according to their eye color as if they would appear on a bar graph. It is important for the students to stand in straight single file lines, and that there is space between each line. The y-axis was the number of students, and the x-axis was the eye color. You can use sentence strips to title the graph, y-axis, and x-axis. Finally, we took a digital picture (we had to stand in a chair) and displayed it on the Smartboard. This way we could discuss the graph, and the students could see the end result of our collected data.
Annie39 is offline   Reply With Quote