when did you send them?
what did they say?

thanks in advance!

italeonmc is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Postcards
Old 07-13-2009, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I usually send them about 2 weeks before school starts and just say I can't wait to meet you! And, please attend our Back to School Open House which is the week before school starts.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

send in early Aug.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I send a short note in early August that I'm looking forward to seeing them on whatever date and I look forward to a great year with them. I keep it short.
Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

CheleOh

Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wish I could. :-(

We don't get our class lists until about 4 minutes before the bell rings.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit, but we truly don't know who is in our class until the Friday before a Monday start.

Especially with my detective theme this year, I'd love to send a letter in secret code. ;-)

Chele :-)
CheleOh is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

B T S letter
Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i don't send a postcard (used to--got tired of all that handwriting!), so now i send letters--i type on computer, insert each individual kid's name, hand-sign and mail those out. we can get our lists around Wednesday before the first day (following Monday).

Here's a link to a thread where i attached an example (very old one!) i usually tell what i've been doing during the summer, try to get them excited about some of the subjects, and they get an idea of our theme for the year. i also give them the time of our school-wide Sneek Peak where they come in and drop off supplies, as well as other times to visit with me (as well as encourage them to help set up the room---kids have REALLY helped in this area, and it gives them more of a stake in their environment). http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ghlight=letter

CheleOh--a secret code letter would be neat! you could even post the decoder at the school so they have to come by to check it out. maybe you could ask your princ or sec. for the list a couple days early, and let them know your plan to send letters out. (and could you work it so that they are received no earlier than the lists go up? know what i mean? so the kids don't know their teacher earlier than everyone else---so if lists go up Friday, you send the letters out Thursday morning, so they find out Friday, too, depending on your mail delivery)

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

cincyteacher

Just before school
Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If I get a class list in a reasonable enough time (2wks before) I sent out postcards that just say I look forward to meeting them and invite them to the open house.
cincyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. K

Letters
Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I used to send out letters to the kids an done to their parents about a week before school started. This year, I have moved to a new school. Here, they have pre-printed cards already addressed, inviting students to orientation. They ask that we add a personal note/sentence and sign them. The district will send them out.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

I'm not able to either, but
Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

if I could, I would create postcards from VistaPrint to say hello, and I would share some pointers for the first day of class.
LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

bucket

Postcards
Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have sent postcards in the past. One trick I have done is to write them out in the summer and put the stamp on them. Then as soon as I get my class list I can just address them and pop them in the mail. We used to get our class lists pretty late so if I didn't write them early, I wouldn't get them out because I was too busy with other stuff by then.
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

shel312

Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We don't get out class list until the day before either, but my son got on in the mail last week from last year's teacher. Just saying stuff like, I hope you are enjoying your summer, remember to keep reading, etc. Very cute idea I think I will incorporate next year.

shel312 is offline   Reply With Quote

2MuchFun

When we get our list...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I send postcards out addressed to my students introducing myself and inviting them to meet me and check out our room at our Open House (the Fri before school starts) I tell them I am looking forward to meeting them and to enjoy what is left of their summer. I wrote them by hand the first year, but have used my PrintShop program to type them since them, just adding their name and my signature by hand. I do them by the first week of August so I can add their name/address as soon as I get list it, usually the Monday of our Open House week....
2MuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote

sjsteacher

Summer adventures
Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our kids find out who their teacher will be on their last report card so I have a list in advance. My family usually takes a trip soon after school is out and I always buy postcards from wherever we go. Once I am back, I type out a short letter welcoming them to third grade. I also remind them to read over the summer and I ask them to bring either a postcard or a picture from their summer vacation on the first day of school to share. Then we take time the first day to share our summer adventures and I put the postcards up on our big map in the back of the classroom.

Hint: If you don't want to write out 20 postcards, you can buy large shipping labels and type your letter once and change the names. Then print out the labels and stick them on the back of the post card. It saves a lot of time!
sjsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Michelle B.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I get my list on Thurs. morning (the kids and parents come to school Thurs. night for Meet the Teacher Night) and I type them up that day (or sometimes Friday if it gets too crazy). School usually starts Mon. or Tues. most of my kids say they get them before the first day. I type my postcards. Here is what I say:

Dear
I hope your summer has been a
lot of fun. I am so excited to see
you on the first day of school!
We are going to have a great year
together, and learn so many new
things. I know you are going to
love fourth grade as much as I
love teaching it. See you soon.
Your teacher,
Michelle B. is offline   Reply With Quote