Help

Third Grade

Vocabulary all subjects

>

coley2118

Vocabulary all subjects
Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have math vocabulary words, social studies vocabulary words, and reading vocabulary words. How do you teach all these words? In the past I just "hoped and prayed" they got the math and social studies and we did look up the reading but with common core that is NOT going to be enough. How do you manage vocab instruction with words in so many subjects. Our Envision math does come with vocabulary flash cards that can be copied and given to the students.

Do you make your students look up all vocabulary in the glossary and write definitions?

Do you do vocab tests in all subjects?

Do you post all vocabulary words for ever subject on word wall? I don't think my word wall is anywhere near big enough.

coley2118 is offline   Reply With Quote

mellen

Vocabulary is definitely a challenge!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Math Vocabulary: Students create a journal of math vocabulary by writing the word, defining it, then drawing a diagram of it. (i.e. Denominator, number on the bottom of a fraction that represents the total amount of parts in a whole; 3/4)

Reading Vocabulary: words are introduced with definitions and pictures; students create flash cards to study at home since these are the only words that are directly tested; find a synonym and/or antonym for each word; make predictions about the story, using the vocabulary words; play Password with vocabulary words; students write a sentence using a vocab. word, then illustrate the sentence with a drawing

I think these are all pretty common ways to teach the vocabulary, so there may not be anything here that you haven't already tried.
mellen is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Vocabulary
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

http://www.wordsmyth.net/

I find this site very helpful for teaching vocabulary. I use the quiz maker to make a matching, multiple choice and fill in the blank work sheet.

http://www.readwritethink.org/files/...ves/crossword/

I use this site to create a crossword puzzle using the same words.

On Monday I give students a list with definitions. This is their study sheet for the week. We read and discuss the words. Then we do one of the above activities each day of the week. I vary the order. On Tuesday and Wednesday I allow pupils to use their study sheet, if they need it, to complete the activity. On Thursday I tell students to try completing the activity without the study sheet. Then we check it together and correct mistakes. On Friday whatever activity I give them is used as an assessment.

I only give ten words per week. They are all math, all science, all reading or all social studies words.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

coley2118

These are great
Old 08-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

websites! Thank you very much. I appreciate both of your answers. They are very helpful.
coley2118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fairy Queen

Old 09-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the amazing sites!

Fairy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote