Help

ARCHIVE

Mystery theme?

>

aim4tch

Mystery theme?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, I thought I was doing the camping theme, but I am more interested in the mystery/detective theme now. Does anyone else get scatter-brained like this when it comes to new ideas on your summer break? Anyway, any suggestions on the mystery theme? I didn't see too much in archives under mystery or detective. I've looked at the few postings available on this. The only ideas I have are....
magnifying glasses,

"Unlocking the Mystery: Faith Finders" as a theme title, or

door titled "Help Me Solve These Mysteries" with
fold construction paper that has a question on top and clues under the fold.....Who are these students? (with class roster and instructions to fill out information papers on their desks), What supplies Are Needed? (with clues to find the supply posterboard), etc....

I'm looking for decor and curriculum implementation. The only mystery info I can find is related to science. I suppose I could do "Where in the World is Waldo" with my Soc. Studies.

Ideas, anyone?

aim4tch is offline   Reply With Quote

Hiya

Hiya

Library has this theme
Old 06-20-2007, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our summer reading program is on mysteries/detectives this year. There main theme is "Get A Clue--READ!" I saw a post with a link to a library supplly company but am having trouble finding it. It would give you some ideas. Happy Detecting.

teachnkids

Hiya
Old 06-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Where are you located? My library is doing the same thing. I'm in NC.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Skenley

TRY THIS WEBSITE for GET A CLUE...
Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try this website for some mysetery/detective ideas...

http://www.cslpreads.org/2007/cp07.htm
Skenley is offline   Reply With Quote

Skenley

Bulletin Board Title
Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Any ideas for beginning of year BB title to go along with mystery/detective theme...? I teach third grade.
Here are a few I thought of...
"Track the Clues to Learning in 3rd Grade" (too long)
"Get a Clue in 3rd Grade"
"Unlock the Mysteries of 3rd Grade"
"Third Grade Detectives"

Any others? THANKS!

Skenley is offline   Reply With Quote
cstrike

cstrike

Mystery Ideas
Old 06-20-2007, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did a mystery unit incorporating forensic science with my elementary students one year. I had a "crime" occur where someone had eaten part of my lunch. I had the kids make teeth impressions with Hershey bars and then we used the scientific process to determine who was the culprit. We also made teeth molds by recycling the syrofoam lunch trays. Another things the kids really enjoyed was the handwriting analysis. We had a stuffed pet in the classroom that was "stolen". The thief left a note though. We went around to different teachers, staff, etc. & had them write their name in both print and cursive. The kids then determined who was the thief by analyzing the handwriting. Some couldn't believe how messy teachers write. We all had a blast!

aim4tch

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This website is terrific! I love getting ideas from other teachers! You always help me clarify my thoughts. I appreciate your time and energy. Thanks!
aim4tch is offline   Reply With Quote
karabear23

karabear23

mystery
Old 06-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach kindergarten and decided to use the mystery this year. For the behavior plan there will be 5 magnifying glasses for "Magnificant behavior" on a small business card will be there name and their fingerprint. Each magnify glass will have a different type of face to represent their behavior. Their name moves to the next magnify glass when in trouble.

RebeccaF

Mysteries
Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love the mystery theme idea - there's just so much wonder in learning! I'm not sure what grade you are teaching but I think the mystery search idea is a great one. I always do some sort of clue game on the first day of school so that the students have to visit all the places in the school I want them to become familiar with. If you have older kids you can write it like a scavenger hunt (much easier than with my Kindergartners). I put down colored footprints around the school and then color code my clues to match the prints. Footprints leading up to your door on the first day of school might be a fun display.

If you have older students, I highly recommend the "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" computer program for your social studies unit. It's already set up where the user is a detective tracking a criminal who steals famous world landmarks and you have to track her via geography clues. It's an old game but it's really fun and totally awesome.
RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote

epeaches

mystery theme
Old 07-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The ideas are great! Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can find bulletin board materials for this theme? I can't draw a staight line!

epeaches is offline   Reply With Quote