Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Son's school and parties/field trips

>

Brooke S.

Son's school and parties/field trips
Old 09-19-2013, 06:05 PM

I am just so frustrated with my son's school this year and last. He got a new principal and it seems that she has sucked the life right out of the school.

All of the involved parents are very frustrated and many teachers and staff have left the school. (none really sharing why)

My question is how many parties do you typically have. (Fall celebration, Winter, etc)

Also, how many field trips each year?

Brooke S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

We have
Old 09-19-2013, 06:11 PM

4 parties - Halloween, winter, valentines day, and a last day of school.

We have cut back on field trips due to skyrocketing costs of bus rental. Two per year, unless you can find a free one.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

We have
Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 PM

no outside field trips except for 4th graders. The lower grades have "in house" field trips. Museums etc. will bring great assemblies and presentations to us. We started to do this years ago when we had the color coded safety travel regulations. We would plan a trip and then not be able to go.
Parties are only Halloween, unless we have another Sandy, Winter-I have a New Year's Dance, and end of the year. That's all.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Feild trips and parties
Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Four field trips a year on Friday (we are a 4 day program so it doesn't interfere with instructional time). Field trips are optional. School wide Thanksgiving, Christmas, and spring Kite Day parties. We are debating having Valentine or Easter parties. (Kinda feel it would take too much instructional time.) Occasional all school hot lunch/celebrations during lunch period.

Kids can bring juice and cupcakes for the school on their birthday. About half the kids do that. We let them have the treats as desert during lunch period.

The only reason this works so well is that we have only 15 kids in 3 classes.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 PM

Usually 1 year end trip. Try to go to outdoor education centre or sugar bush 1 /year. Not always possible.

Parties --- don't really have "parties"were kids/parents bring in a lot of food but we do celebrate 100 day, Christmas assembly and classroom activities or craft rotations. Never Halloween parties. Exchange Valentines and might do Valentine themed activities.

Usually go skating 3 times a year. (this takes about 2 hour of instructional time)

ETA --- never birthday parties. Not allowed to send treats or cupcakes etc for kid's birthday. Those are considered home/family activities.

Last edited by Peaches Pears; 09-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: forgot about birthdays
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We get one field trip.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Three parties: Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's Day
We used to have more field trips, but budget cuts have taken care of that. We've always had three parties a year, at least for the last 20 years.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

CampbellPre-K

Our state(Texas)
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Only allows 2 parties a year. We normally have Christmas and Valentine parties. I also do an egg hunt for Easter but not a party.

I usually do 3 field trips....pumpkin patch, post office, and then end of year field trip.
CampbellPre-K is offline   Reply With Quote

FionaJ

Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 PM

We are allowed to have three parties each year, and go on one field trip.
FionaJ is online now   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 09-19-2013, 07:22 PM

wow. i wanna work at your schools! 1 fieldtrip, 2 parties. one winter and one end of year.
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 PM

PK -2 get 3 parties and grades through 6th get one bus field trip a year.

neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Number of field trips was up to the grade level, but if they were costly the principal would put a limit on it because of the expense for the parents. School buses are getting really expensive.

Parties was up to the discretion of the teacher too, though I think they recommended no more than 2 per year. That did not include birthday treats for a special snack or a little 10 or 15 minute celebration for something like Valentine's Day. Our only big parties were Christmas and the end of the year.

Some principals, because of all the new requirements with testing and such, really are sucking the life out of the school more than it already has been sucked out by the legislature and school boards!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 PM

I just came from back to school night. The grade level I teach has about 7 field trips, and my kids grade levels (2, 4, 6) are about the same. 4th and 6th both have overnight trips (one night in 4th, 4 nights in 6th). With the exception of 6th grade the field trip costs are about $75 per year per kid. I don't know about parties. I teach K so we have a lot.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 PM

one field trip, two parties.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

parties
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 PM

3 big parties a year--Halloween, Winter Break and End of Year--each about an hour to hour and a half each, though the End of Year may stretch longer. Valentine's Day we exchange cards and have cookies--but it's only about 20 mins.

The district pays for buses for two field trips a year. Parents pay for admission.

We also have a lot of assemblies on different topics--probably 2 or 3 a quarter.

We also have a whole school field day on the Friday before school ends.

Last edited by daffodils; 09-19-2013 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: more info
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

ColorWonder

Old 09-20-2013, 01:41 AM

We don't have any parties. We usually do a fun craft activity and watch a video of a book we recently read the last day before Winter Vacation. Kids can pass out valentines and then we staple the bags shut and they bring them home.

One field trip in June. Our other fieldtrip had to be canceled because there was no money for buses. We try to bring in 2-3 presentations a year for the kids to enjoy at school.
ColorWonder is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 09-20-2013, 02:00 AM

Our principal has eliminated all food in classrooms - no birthday or holiday treats or reward candy or those cute lessons that require M&Ms for graphing or cookie archaeology, etc.

Field trips are optional - most grade levels take one or two. Our PTA is underwriting the cost of busses.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-20-2013, 02:05 AM

We are not allowed to have "parties" but we can have a fall celebration (Halloween) and a winter celebration (Valentine's Day). We can have snack foods but that is all.

We only go on one field trip a year. It must pertain directly to our curriculum and we have to note the standards we are teaching on the field trip.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

chsalad

private school
Old 09-20-2013, 04:56 AM

I'm in a private school, so our policies may be a bit different.

We are expected to have 4 field trips a year, focused around the core English subjects. Since we also have Arabic and Islamic classes, those teachers may schedule additional field trips. Only 1 (possibly 2) trips may take a charter bus and/or run later than school hours.

We are not allowed to have parties for any non-Islamic holidays, other than Thanksgiving. However, we have many parties to celebrate cultural events, as well as parties to celebrate ends of units. Many classes even have an additional party field trip at the end of the year, like swimming or laser tag.

Students are also allowed to bring in treats to share during lunch on their birthday, or really any day they feel like bringing food!

It's all exhausting to me! I'd be all over 1-2 field trips max, and no parties!
chsalad is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-20-2013, 05:09 AM

I am just wondering - you don't think they are getting enough parties or field trips?

As a teacher, I am wondering why some of the elaborate parties I have seen are even happening at school. I have seen parents bringing in punch bowls, decorating classrooms, bringing in games, etc for parties that last from lunch until the end of the day. I don't know why those kind of things belong in school. I have "celebrations" with my kids in the form of art, or games that are a break from the norm, but also contribute to our learning. I think those are parties enough. If parents want parties, have parties after school.

That said - my old school let us have parties for the last hour of school for Halloween, Winter break, Valentines Day and the end of the year. We have 2 field trips and if you can find money for another bus, then you can do another.

Don't even know about my new school yet.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

6th grade
Old 09-20-2013, 05:32 AM

We will have at least 6 field trips (theater, reenactments, chemical company, Chicago), 4 guest speakers, Christmas, Valentines, end of year parties (doesn't include academic parties like High Tea and Pi Day)

So yeah, we get to have lots of fun.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapnstitch

At my school
Old 09-20-2013, 06:31 AM

Before I retired we were supposed to have A Fall Party, ( either in October or for Thanksgiving, but not both)
a Winter Party 0r Valentine's Party ( but not both), and a Spring Party ( either Egg Hunt or end of Year). Teachers could choose which 3 they wanted. BUT many teachers did all of them, plus St. Patrick's Day, 100th
Day, Dr. Seuss and anything else they could think of....party , party party plus FUN Friday snacks and extra recess every Friday!

Way too much time off task IMO, not to mention against school policy.I did my 3 parties and we did activities on some of the other days but no parties. Also parties were supposed to have no candy, cake, cookies.... I did this too but many did not. We had apples and caramel or sun butter dip, fruit cups, yogurt, and popcorn.

Children could bring in something to share at lunch on their birthdays.

For field trips each grade level got to go to a play each year, which was great. Also each grade level had one more trip they could take and then we could have museums come in to us. Each grade level was given a budget for this. Trips had to be based on curriculum.
Tapnstitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms.SB

field trips / parties
Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 AM

We have a principal similar to yours, but to be honest, I don't mind the regulations.

-no holiday parties
-no costumes on Halloween
-no movies AT ALL, even if educational
-no birthday celebrations
-no fun Friday or any type of end of the week reward

+yes to a Christmas decorating day
+announces birthdays and gives each student a card / pencil
+will overlook if you allow kids to pass out Valentines or something at the end of the day
+field trips via PBIS incentives

Between school assemblies, PBIS incentive stuff, music programs for holidays, etc, I am sort of thankful that this stuff is not allowed. I already feel SO stretched and unable to fit in everything I need to. I do reminisce over these things that were always commonplace when I was a child, and wish the educational environment we have now allowed for these types of celebrations, but as a teacher in today's climate, I understand why we can't do it.
Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 09-20-2013, 08:59 AM

So, Brooke, what has the new P put into place? Is it in line with some of these responses? I'm very curious.
Quote:
As a teacher, I am wondering why some of the elaborate parties I have seen are even happening at school.
I have thought the same thing. I'm all for educational field trips-- huge proponent of my own kids attending them (hate leading them, though ). Parties I can do without.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

District or a school thing?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Ours was a district decision. No birthday parties, no parties with food as the focus. So we got rid of the "parties" and just did activities during special days: for Halloween (no costumes allowed) our first grade team did math activities, art activities, etc with the theme of fall or Halloween. For valentines day, we incorporated letter and card writing, did some art, and math activities that were themed with valentines day. For st Patrick's day, same thing: art, math, letter writing (to a leprachaun) social studies focused on Ireland.
Field trips got way took expensive, so we did "in house field trips". Our P didn't approve of many field trips, maybe 1 a year and it had to correlate directly with science or social studies. We took 1 field trip to the aquarium which correlated with our science unit.

With common core and new expectations, it has been difficult to do things the way we used to. Now I just get more creative. if admins come in, I can easily tell then how I'm incorporating the common core with any activity in doing. )
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reader

Parties/field trips
Old 09-20-2013, 10:34 AM

Holiday Parties: Winter Break and Valentine's. Our school has a Harvest Carnival Friday after school and kids can wear their costumes for that.

Field Trips: (Bus) 1 per teacher, but teachers team up so that makes 2. We can take as many trips by private car or walking as we want, but must be tied into the Standards. I am retired now, but we had to pay for the bus, mileage, and bus driver's time, plus any entry fees. Also we had to pay for any child that could not afford to go.

Another reason retirement is wonderful! I don't miss the parties, field trips, and picture days.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

mable007

Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 PM

Parties and trips depend on the teacher. We have 100 day, winter, Math party, end of the year, valentines day. students are allowed to celebrate birthday parties in class.
mable007 is offline   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 09-20-2013, 01:14 PM

3 parties - Halloween, Winter, & Valentine's and 1 field trip which is not paid for by the district (PTA funds all field trips in our district)
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Greenhorn216

last year I taught a different district and
Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM

we were only allowed 2 parties per year--Winter and End of the Year. We were also only allowed 2 field trips per year. Also, we had a "healthy snacks" policy. Any snacks brought into the classroom were suppose to come off an approved list. This was rarely enforced strictly. I always asked parents to let me know if they wanted to send something in because I always had kids with food allergies.

My new district doesn't have any of the above policies. We are about 75% free and reduced, so instead of scheduling field trips that require transportation with bus costs, we try to schedule a lot of days when organizations come into our school and do programs that go along with our curriculum.
Greenhorn216 is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Our school allows 3 parties of 30 minutes each and one field trip per year.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

A Town

Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 AM

Our school has 2 parties (Winter and Valentines). Each grade level can choose for field trips but I think that most do 1 with a few doing 2 if they can walk to one of the places. I teach 1/2 day K so no field trips for us since we can't get there and back on time.

I don't enjoy parties, so would love not to have any. I can't stand spending the time to organize the party. I would love to get parents into the classroom other ways like having writing celebrations or math game days instead of the mandatory parties with snacks and crafts. I know I am a scrooge.
A Town is offline   Reply With Quote