Help

Third Grade

Making Reading Class Fun

>

ltaylor79

Making Reading Class Fun
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is the best way to engage students during Reading? I would like to use our Basal but I am willing to go another route as well periodically. I would love some ideas on how to make teaching different reading skills fun and engaging! Thanks!

ltaylor79 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Reading is Fun
Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I believe that when you choose stories you like and share them with students they will like them as well. So, share your joy of reading while sharing a story or book with your class.

Search for books and stories that you know your students will enjoy. Keep reading children's literature so you are always finding good literature to use in class.

Teach some skills through read aloud. Read picture books, chapter books, magazine articles and poetry. Read to students across the different subject areas. Read a variety of genres.

Teach from the basal and use novels. A mix is a good idea in my opinion.

I include crafts in my class.

What better way to teach students how to read and follow directions? I give them written directions and the needed supplies. I have read them in advance and made the craft myself. So, I share my finished example with them. I do not help. They sometimes struggle. They reread. They help one another. When they finally have their final product they are very proud! My students love this activity and do not realize we are working on reading skills.

Have author studies.

Patricia Polacco is my favorite picture book authors. I check out more books than I have students. I read aloud a couple of her books before students start reading them. Then I require them to read a title a day. We discuss the stories and the way the author writes. We also look at her website for added biographical information and activities.

Roald Dahl is my favorite chapter book author. I allow students to work in small groups to read different titles while I read one title aloud to them. We discuss his style of writing, use of magic and great sense of humor. Almost all third and fourth graders love this author's work.

Have activities to make connections with what we read in class. For example when we study American pioneers we read Little House in the Big Woods. We have a pioneer day at school where we dress up and practice pioneer skills like weaving a small basket, sewing a quilt square, cooking Johnny cakes, learning to square dance and constructing a corn husk doll. These activities bring the historical fiction book alive.

Not all my literature connections are as elaborate. With Chocolate Touch we just survey everyone about their favorite chocolate bars and enjoy a chocolate kiss at the end of our reading.

When we read The Monster's Ring around Halloween I give them each a glow in the dark skull ring. We recite the magical spell from the book as we twist the rings on our fingers.

When I read them Christopher Mouse aloud they receive a letter from this animal character who can communicate by writing. It just happens to be when we are learning to write friendly letters.

When we study the rain forest in science we read the short story The Great Kapok Tree. I bring different products to school that have ingredients found from a rain forest.

When we study multiplication we read 7 X 9 =Trouble. It is easy for them to make connections with the main character.

Give them some free choice reading time. Then conference with them about what they have chosen to read.

Share poetry on a daily basis. Find poems that make connections with topics of study in science, math and social studies. Share holiday poems as well. Find a poem to make a text to text connection with different stories.

Use reader's theater often. Kid's love to act the story out with a dramatic reading.

Share jokes and riddles from books too!

I recently found the attached poem about a shell. I bought a big package of shells at the pet store and gave each kid a shell to keep as a connection. They also wrote observations about their shell as a science connection. We talked about how scientists use their five senses when recording observations.

Make reading more enjoyable for you and it will be more fun for your students as well.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Seashells-student.doc (79.5 KB, 98 views)
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lexis

Love your ideas!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1956BD-Loved all your ideas! This is the kind of reading teacher that I want to be. I do lots of the things that you wrote about too! Making children love reading is the best gift that a teacher can pass on to her students.
Lexis is offline   Reply With Quote

ltaylor79

Thank you 1956BD!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Those ideas are wonderful and something that definitely sounds fun for me and the students! I appreciate all of the time you took to tell me what you do in your room. You sound like an amazing teacher!
ltaylor79 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Thank you
Old 09-01-2014, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Unfortunately I am not teaching reading this year. We departmentalized and I am the science and writing teacher times three classes. I already miss teaching reading terribly. Maybe next year I will get to teach reading.

Last edited by 1956BD; 09-01-2014 at 09:19 AM..

finchfeeder

Oh my!!!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I absolutely LOVE ALL of your ideas! Seriously, I am going to write them down and do every one that you described.
It is a crime that you are not teaching Reading this year, but couldn't you incorporate some of this with your Writing? Actually, I want to be in your class and read/do all. Thank you for some wonderful ideas and insights.
finchfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote

teachgrade3

Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wow such great ideas. Thanks so much!
teachgrade3 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Riddle a Day
Old 09-01-2014, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am still going to do my Riddle A Day program. I discovered years ago that third graders love riddles. So, each day I write a riddle on the white board for students to solve. ( After we learn cursive I write the riddle in cursive. This gives them a chance to practice reading cursive)

After saying the pledge each morning we choral read the riddle together. Students have all day to ponder the answer. This process encourages critical thinking in a fun way. I also discuss with students the idea of spending time thinking about an answer. I tell them it is okay to not have a "microwave" answer to every question. I call answers that require pondering, "slow cook" or "crock pot cooking" answers.

At the end of the day we revisit the riddle. When they have the classroom clean and they are ready to go home we reread the riddle. Students then have the chance to guess the answer. If the room is not clean the riddle remains unsolved. They really want to know the answer so getting the classroom clean is rarely an issue.

Sometimes the riddles have answers based on play on words. Sometimes the riddles are logic riddles. Sometimes the riddles make connections with what we are learning and other times they are just for fun.

Here are some riddles to get you started if you wish to try this as part of your reading program.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Riddles.pdf (70.2 KB, 99 views)