Help

Second Grade

More Math Adoption Opinions Needed

>

fatcat6

More Math Adoption Opinions Needed
Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are also looking to adopt a new math program. Some programs under consideration are Go Math, Envisions, and Singapore Math. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? We have been using Math Connects for several years.
Thank you!

fatcat6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Math
Old 02-09-2016, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's never ending and the choices are between a rock and a hard place.

We have been using Envision. Not great, a lot of supplementing needed, and now we have to get rid of it because it doesn't cover all CCSS. We have been told the only two programs that totally cover CCSS are Bridges and Eureka (Engage NY).

Eureka looks boring and not much cooperative work or manipulatives. Decent paper practice. Games have to be photocopied, colored and laminated.

Bridges is all about manipulatives and collaboration. An entire 20 minute portion of each day is devoted to center s and the prep time is crazy.

Both come at teaching math in a completely different manner than we are used to.

I don't like either of them, but I think we are going to end up with Bridges.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Envisons
Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We've had Envisions for 3 years now. I like it pretty well. It is more rigorous than our old program. The newer versions seem to align with Common Core pretty well. Besides the daily lessons, there are practice, reteach, and enrichment worksheets for every lesson. I also like that they include writing/communicating your thinking.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

javateacher

math
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Bridges from math learning center - google it. Our test scores are out of this world!!!!
javateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 02-11-2016, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As I said in another post, I've been using Bridges for 8 years. The second edition has much more pencil and paper tasks. At my level, 3rd grade, there are still Work Places, but not as many as in the 1st edition. I do feel like my students' math understanding has significantly improved since we began using Bridges.
My only complaint is that the second edition teacher manuals, of which there are 10!, are not well organized. Also, they are continually updating, so the online/downloaded material does not always match the workbooks that I bought for the students or the assessments that I have in the binders.

vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

Go Math
Old 02-11-2016, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you go with Go Math, get ready for LOTS of word problems - multi-step almost every day. It's very challenging. I don't care for it, and we supplement a lot with this program. We pick and choose which workbook pages to use. The teaching videos are pretty good. The extra resources (paper ones) are not great at all.

In the money unit, it begins with all 4 of the major coins. I don't know about you, but our second graders need a few days with just hands-on activities - and not even including the quarter on the first day.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote